Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    NICE DAY TODAY, get any gasser time?
    Sorry I didn't see this response earlier Bob!
    Yes, I've been getting lots of miles this spring. I'm almost 1500 miles this year with all the nice weather, even with a few setbacks in the engine.
    I recently had to pull it down again due to a roller rocker going bad and eating up the end of the valve. Then the shop found that all the guides had been fitted too sloppy when new, and both heads would need all new guides. To compound things the guides used were imports and were too large at .509" OD, so more import guides would have to be fitted. I decided to cut my losses and traded the aluminum heads for a pair of completely updated old camel hump 2.02"/1.60" heads with SS valves, hardened seats, and CC'd chambers. Then I swapped the high rpm cam out for a smaller 272/272, .455" lift, 108 LSA cam. Also dumped the roller rockers and went back to stock 1.5 rockers.
    The new cam and heads work much better! It pulls hard off idle to 6,000 rpm's, and has a ton of torque for a 327 Chevy. Very pleased with the setup, and glad to have it back together again!
    Last edited by 1946Austin; May 30, 2012, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• 2.02 heads belong on a 327....plus it goes with the theme...so friggin cool.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Camel humps... Makes me want to get my set done...
        Aluminum roller rockers?

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          2.02 heads belong on a 327....plus it goes with the theme...so friggin cool.
          Yes, i wanted them originally, but found a "deal" on the aluminums that turned out to be not such a deal.

Comment

Camel humps... Makes me want to get my set done...
            Aluminum roller rockers?
            No, they were steel roller tip rockers, not full roller aluminums. The roller stopped turning and went flat on one side. I'm tossing the other 15 in the trash.

Comment

• you can buy singles... although I understand the frustration of a faulty part
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                No, they were steel roller tip rockers, not full roller aluminums. The roller stopped turning and went flat on one side. I'm tossing the other 15 in the trash.
                Whew.. Got the alum rollers on 2 motors...
                Heard the steel roller tips were problematic..

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  you can buy singles... although I understand the frustration of a faulty part
                  Didn't need singles, unless you meant the rockers. I didn't even want any more roller tips. I've never had a factory Chevy rocker fail, so decided to go that route.
                  Just picked up an MSD 6a from a friend, so I'm going to install it as soon as I figure out 20 pages of instructions! ;)

Comment

Whew.. Got the alum rollers on 2 motors...
                    Heard the steel roller tips were problematic..
                    A friend told me he runs caps on his valve stem to help keep them from damaging the ends of the valves.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                      A friend told me he runs caps on his valve stem to help keep them from damaging the ends of the valves.
                      Too much to go wrong for me.. Solid lifter cams in both and the main one is in my son's derby motor..gets ran hard and gets hot..
                      Last weekend he made only 5 hits after losing his radiator.. So..all is good! Would hate for a cap to fall off on impact..

Comment

• That's why I went back to stock type rockers. Just less pieces to fail, and more peace of mind.
                        A friend sold me a good used MSD 6 box today, so I'm adding it to the Austin also. Gotta put new rear wheel cylinders in tomorrow, and after that I'll install the MSD and see how it works.
                        Last edited by 1946Austin; May 31, 2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Simple wheel cylinders turned out to be a real pain! Couldn't find USA made, so bought the Chinese, and I should have gotten kits instead. They went in quick, but the flared fittings wouldn't seal on the lines. Had to pull the lines and re-flare them to get them to seal. It was like the angle was wrong or something.
                          MSD went in easy and after setting the timing it runs great. Still need to open up the gap from 35 to 50, and that should improve things even more! Might even get a little more mileage with the MSD ignition if I can keep my foot out of it!

Comment

• Got the gap opened up to .050" on the plugs. Took it for a test drive and it seemed to do pretty good. Tweaked the timing a little each direction until I found what it liked bet. Seems to like a little less advance with the MSD than it did previously.
                            A quick shot down the freeway ramp netted over 80mph at the merge and had to get out of it and hit the brakes to merge in. It seems to grab rpm's very smoothly, and felt more like 55-60 mph, than what I actually saw on the speedo. I think I'm ready for the Billetproof Drags this summer!

Comment

• Man I love your car! I'm pretty sure I saw it at PIR last year, but I can't wait to see it with paint. Very, very cool!
                              Michael Pinto

1973 AMC Javelin / 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix / 2006 Mazda5

Comment

• Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                Man I love your car! I'm pretty sure I saw it at PIR last year, but I can't wait to see it with paint. Very, very cool!
                                Thanks! Beaches starts Wed. at PIR, so maybe I'll see you there!

Comment

Working...
                                X