No announcement yet.

Project Austin street gasser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you going to have it at the Roadster show this year?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      you going to have it at the Roadster show this year?
      I wanted to put it in, but deadline for entry registration is Feb. 15th, and I was still assembling it at that point, so couldn't send pics for pre approval by the board. I had it in there last year when it was barely streetable, and it looked like a barn find. Had quite a few people fooled into thinking it was an old 60's gasser that I'd found and cleaned up for the show, even though I had pictures and story of the build right beside the car. Seems car guys don't read, they just looked at the pictures and assumed they were old build pictures too.
      Had the Austin out for it's first run since the engine and bodywork, and a friend wanted me to take him for a spin so he could video it. Should have warmed it up first, as it's really cold blooded with no choke, but here's a link to the video:

Comment

The Harwood buckets have proven to not be good for much more than 1/4 mile drives! Very uncomfortable after an hour drive, and probably because of the 1/2" padding. I liked the look, but since I plan to drive it a lot they have to go.

I'm going with CJ5 seats, as they're very narrow and at 19" wide will fit my narrow 42" cab.

Comment

Spent the day today removing the old racing buckets and then seeing what it would take to install the CJ5 buckets. Put about 5" of wood under the frames and it's close, but needs another inch or so in back, and probably 2" in front to get the correct seat angle.
          Once I had things close I cut a bunch of 1.75" box tubing I had in the scrap bin, and tacked it together. Drilled the mounting pattern and bolted them to the seats for a tet fit prior to final welding. The bases are wider than the old ones, and sit too close to the tunnel, so had to make the base on the tunnel side of the floor offset in 1.5" to clear the tunnel. Refitted them with the offset and they looked good to go. Did a test sitting, and they feel right for height, so went ahead and welded them up.
          Tomorrow I'll finish painting the frames and then drill new mounting holes. My radio was under the old seats in an aluminum plate I fabbed, so still need to figure how to mount it again under the new seats.

Comment

Got the frames installed and bolted the new seats in. Relocated the lap belts and shoulder harnesses, which work much better with the new seats and frames. 2" of snow today, so no trips around the block to see how the seats feel, but a trial in the garage tells me they'll be much more comfortable!

Last edited by 1946Austin; March 14, 2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Great video! But let's just say...not the least bit stealthy
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                Great video! But let's just say...not the least bit stealthy
                It's a tiny bit quieter with the headers capped! And hopefully the new gear drive will wear in and get quieter. I put the same one in a buddy's 350 and after a couple thousand miles it's quiet down a lot.
                Last edited by 1946Austin; March 14, 2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

There's something primal about a brutally effective uncompromised machine. Sure, it's subtle, like a 12 pound sledge hammer.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    There's something primal about a brutally effective uncompromised machine. Sure, it's subtle, like a 12 pound sledge hammer.
                    Exactly! That's kinda the point of a street legal gasser. Something that looks and sounds like it shouldn't even be on the street.

Comment

Got a break in the weather to get out for a few hours cruise today! The CJ seats are a major improvement over the old racing buckets! I used to get pretty sore in a couple hours drive, but not anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                        Exactly! That's kinda the point of a street legal gasser. Something that looks and sounds like it shouldn't even be on the street.
                        That can be achieved without a straight axle, but man does the gasser look drive home the point. Who wants quiet in a car like that anyway? Its not a freakin Taxi.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                          That can be achieved without a straight axle, but man does the gasser look drive home the point. Who wants quiet in a car like that anyway? Its not a freakin Taxi.
                          Yeah, I love cars that look fast sitting still, and then when you fire them up they sound fast too!

Comment

Weather was horrible again today; snow, hail, you name it. Decided to install the new fuel block and hard lines on the Austin. The fuel block is one I got from friend called "RICHIES Scoops" He has these cast up and they're really a nice old school touch for any hotrod.
                            The old lines I had were all rubber hose with clamps and a dual feed line I chopped up to make it fit my canted carb tunnel ram system. Here's what it used to look like:

And here it is with hard lines bent up and the new RICHIES buel block:
                            Last edited by 1946Austin; March 18, 2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Very nice. I know about that snow and rain, I got to wrench in it - my truck decided to be persnickity and I had to readjust a hose clamp on the cooling system.... not perfect, but I made it back to Seattle.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                Very nice. I know about that snow and rain, I got to wrench in it - my truck decided to be persnickity and I had to readjust a hose clamp on the cooling system.... not perfect, but I made it back to Seattle.
                                Thanks! That snow was really coming down for a short time! I wa headed down the freeway and with the wipers on high I could barely see! Hope you didn't have to spend too much time wrenching in it!

Comment

Working...
                                X