No announcement yet.

Project Austin street gasser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing this - great build! I love this stuff.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Very cool!! I'll be stealing some ideas from this for my next project. Any chance of some pics showing the flip front hinges?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        awesome job - I didn't realize you were in Portland. If you need sheet metal work done, my dad's shop is in Oregon City. He builds kitchen equipment for restaurants, but is a total car nut - and has all the cool stuff to do builds. His specialty is Stainless steel, if you're interested I'll pm you his contact info.
        Thanks! Yeah, been here for 61 years! I do most the sheetmetal work myself, including bending. If it's longer I have a friend who owns Schmeer Sheetmetal in NW Portland and he can bend up what I need.
        Last edited by 1946Austin; February 22, 2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
          Very cool!! I'll be stealing some ideas from this for my next project. Any chance of some pics showing the flip front hinges?
          Sure! My hinges were unbelieveably simple. Here's a picture of the hinge area. I did buy used hinge cables from the tailgate of a Malibu wagon to stop the frontend from going to far when open.
          Here's a shot where you can see the cables:

And here's the triangle plate I bolted to the front sheetmetal. It has a 1/2" bushing between the plate and the frame, with a 3/8" bolt through it, and double nutted:

Comment

Spent the day vacuuming and cleaning the innards! Man did this thing get dusty! After all the miles I've put on the car, (and it's handled great) I noticed working under the frontend that I had a little angle on the drag link from the pitman arm. I had mounted the link heim end on top o the pittman arm, when I could have dropped it to the bottom and it would have been level. Kinda one off those Duh moments, so I unbolted it and moved it to the bottom.
            All clean and ready for the sign shop tomorrow!

Comment

Funny, as I was going thru the newest pics I noticed the shot of the finished front end and thought to myself "man, some T-bars would make that look really killer...then in the last pic voila! t-bars...Great build man, cant wait to see the lettering.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Man that thing looks great!.. Nice work, gives me lots of ideas for my Anglia project....

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  Funny, as I was going thru the newest pics I noticed the shot of the finished front end and thought to myself "man, some T-bars would make that look really killer...then in the last pic voila! t-bars...Great build man, cant wait to see the lettering.
                  Yeah I didn't like the empty holes so I bent up some rod and bbrackets and welded them up. Just sprayed with Hammerite, but maybe I'll get them chromed if I feel rich someday!

Comment

Originally posted by mrocketscience View Post
                    Man that thing looks great!.. Nice work, gives me lots of ideas for my Anglia project....
                    Thanks! Have you started your Anglia project yet? Any pics around here?

Comment

Thanks for the flip front pics. I really like the way you did this build up getting it driving first and then going through and tidying up the details. New paint looks killer too!

Comment

It's next in line after the 57 Ford.. Sitting in the garage corner right now

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                          Thanks for the flip front pics. I really like the way you did this build up getting it driving first and then going through and tidying up the details. New paint looks killer too!
                          Well I was in a hurry to start using it, so I decided to concentrate on getting it driving. Then once it was driving I concentrated on engine upgrades, then cleaning up some welds, and just improving things as I drove it. Always thought I'd get to making it nicer with this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by mrocketscience View Post
                            It's next in line after the 57 Ford.. Sitting in the garage corner right now

Love those Anglias! That's one that was on my short list when I was looking for a body to build a gasser!

Comment

Just got back from the sign shop and I'm pretty happy with what they did with lettering and the cartoon character I gave them!

Comment

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X