Project Austin street gasser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
    Awesome!! Cool that you got it to the track - and that you're putting a bunch of miles on it
    Thanks! I haven't had so much fun with a car in many years!

Comment

• Local Tv channel's website!
      This qualify as "ink"?
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 16, 2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Drag Week 2013?
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          http://www.katu.com/living/autos/Pho...ery&c=y&img=19

Local Tv channel's website!
          This qualify as "ink"?
          Thanks Bob! Saw lots of cameras at the Oregon City show, but didn't know the local news was there doing it! Must have been 400 cars there! Great show!

Comment

• Decided to finally do a little more work on my interior firewall today. I bought a black carpet remnant the other day that was 6'x8', which should do my firewall and the floor too. (nice to have a tiny car!)
            I cut cardboard to fit each side of the firewall, and then test fitted it. Once I had a template I traced it on some 1/4" finish plywood and cut it out with the jigsaw. After that I traced the pattern on the back of the carpet and cut it a couple inches larger than my wood backer. Then I simply stapled it to the back after stretching it snugly.
            I cut a piece of carpet to cover the center of the firewall and pulled the gas pedal to glue the carpet to the sound/heat shield material, leaving enough to overlap the two sides. After that I simply put the sides in place and snapped them to the magnetic latches I installed on the back side of the firewall.
            It hides all the wiring, foil insulation, and gives me a 1.5" dead space to reduce heat transfer, and allow for wiring to run under the panels.

This winter I'll pull the seat bases and cut them down one inch in height to get headroom when I wear my helmet at the track. It was pretty close! Then I'll do the carpetting on the floor at that time, and the ends of these panels too. Just need a small filler to cover the area between the interior panel and the edge of the door opening.

Comment

• that pic really shows just how small the car is...I would look like a circus clown in that thing...such a cool car.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                that pic really shows just how small the car is...I would look like a circus clown in that thing...such a cool car.
                Thanks! Yeah, most people can't get in the driver's door between the post and the steering wheel. Passenger side is much easier to access, but two people sitting side by side are pretty snug!

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  that pic really shows just how small the car is...I would look like a circus clown in that thing...such a cool car.
                  That car is really small! I do not think there is a honest 4 foot between doors!

Comment

• Still the coolest build thread ever. Its nice being able to use regular carpet, having a big hump in the floor and firewall makes it harder to get it to lay down right.

You make me want to build something like this... The video of you running the twin sbc digger was cool. Awesome to see two epic BS cars on the track together.

Comment

That car is really small! I do not think there is a honest 4 foot between doors!
                      You're right Bob; only 42" between the doors inside!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                        Still the coolest build thread ever. Its nice being able to use regular carpet, having a big hump in the floor and firewall makes it harder to get it to lay down right.

You make me want to build something like this... The video of you running the twin sbc digger was cool. Awesome to see two epic BS cars on the track together.
                        I am rarely overly impressed with cars I see.. I do see some nice ones and some head-scratchers... This car is just perfect.. A few flaws here and there from USE! Yep.. This is a nice car! (ok I'll get off the soapbox)

Comment

• Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                          Still the coolest build thread ever. Its nice being able to use regular carpet, having a big hump in the floor and firewall makes it harder to get it to lay down right.

Thanks!
                          Pretty nice piece of carpet I bought as a remnant at Home Depot. It's kind of stretchy on the back with a latex or rubberized binding. The Austin has a small tunnel, and hump, so I'm going to lay down patterns of butcher paper on the floor and cut them to make patterns. Then I'll trace that on the back of the carpet and cut out the carpet. After that I'll either hand sew it together on the backside, or take it to a guy I know who does interior work, and have him hot seam it together. That's a winter project, so lots of time to decide.

Comment

I am rarely overly impressed with cars I see.. I do see some nice ones and some head-scratchers... This car is just perfect.. A few flaws here and there from USE! Yep.. This is a nice car! (ok I'll get off the soapbox)
                            Thanks Bob! It's getting some chips, and it's dirty underneath, but I can't let it sit and not enjoy putting miles on it! I can clean and touch up this winter if we get some snow or rain and it's garaged!

Comment

• shush about snow or rain, it's been beautiful - don't jinx us!
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                shush about snow or rain, it's been beautiful - don't jinx us!
                                X2!!

Comment

Working...
                                X