Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry's Bonneville racer - 240SX with a Toyota 2JZ motor

More pictures here: http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/proj...e_89_240sx.htm

This is a project that's being put together by the DIYAutoTune team. Jerry, the boss man here, has been going to Bonneville Speed Week for a long time, and we finally took the plunge and bought a car to run on the salt. We wanted something RWD as the class we initially wanted to run in - F/Gas Coupe - doesn't allow moving the driving wheels to the other end of the car. So, after comparing a bunch of drag coefficients and frontal areas, we decided the best body shell to start with would be a first generation Nissan 240SX fastback. Very small frontal area, low CD, and enough room under the hood that people have stuck all sorts of engines in there. We found a sub-$1000 example on Craigslist - it had over 200,000 miles on the clock, the suspension was a bit bent, the original 2.4 SOHC motor ran on three cylinders because the wiring was shot, and the clutch was toast. (Actually, if the clutch had been lined with burnt toast, it may have grabbed better.)

After testing a couple bits of electronics on the stock motor and completely ruining the clutch, it was time to pull that out and sell the stock motor on Craigslist - now running firing on all four.

So the question was what to replace it with. The class rules require from 2 to 3 liters for a four stroke piston engine, but allows just about any swap and any mod besides forced induction. We considered quite a few options - destroking the new 350Z motor to keep it all in the Nissan family, an early 2000s BMW M3 slant six, a Chrysler Hyper Pack 170 slant six, a used Cosworth Formula One V8 (until we saw the price tag), and even putting a LS6 head on a four cylinder Mercruiser outboard. In the end, we decided we really needed something relatively cheap and with good aftermarket support so we didn't need to spend a couple years putting the motor together (or saving up to buy it). So, we went with the 2Jz out of a Lexus SC300.

You'll notice that isn't a Toyota transmission behind it - it's a G-Force four speed, with a Quick Time bellhousing. This car is about as far from the typical ricer crowd build as is possible for a 240SX with a Toyota six. We're also planning to run a GM 10 bolt rear, for low friction and good gear selection options.

First order of business, though, is to gut the car and install a roll cage. As we plan to try running this car in several classes and hope to eventually work our way up to something capable of 250 mph, we wanted to have a Funny Car style cage put in there by the experts at Fat Cat. They're seam welding the body while they're at it, and they will be doing the solid axle conversion. Some photos of their work in progress:

I'll be posting regular updates in this thread.
    Last edited by Matt Cramer; January 20, 2012, 07:58 AM.

Matt, what class are you guys planning on running?

I've been working with another customer - same car and body style - and my recommendation based on experience is, go for the Altered category - put a rear wing and spill plates on it because that car likes to go backwards above 180mph in stock form. It's just like the Studebaker body that's so popular. It's very low coefficient of drag, but the center of aerodynamic pressure is not far enough to the rear to keep the car stable at speed.

We need to make sure we pit together this year! should be a lot of fun.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Great project. We (ECTA) have a regular racer with an RX7 sportin' a 2JZ. If you want I'll PM you his phone number (I'm sure he'd be OK with that). Seems like he's topped 200 but I'm not positive of that. Anyhow, he could probably point out some highlights and pitfalls.

Keep us posted.
      Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; January 20, 2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Jerry here... and that's would be great Dan if you could PM or email that info ([email protected])

Not too many people have tried to build a n/a 2JZ out for max power, if he's blazed that trail before he may have some great info/experience if he doesn't mind sharing it.

Gotta go up to the chassis shop later today and see the latest on the cage, might be dragging the motor/trans up to test fit as well, gotta call and see if they're ready.
        Jerry Hoffmann a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
        http://www.DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

maybe I don't know what I am talking about or, I am thinking of someone else but i thought he had a Skyline motor in that thing?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

im interested in how you handle the aero on the car. Although mine is a coupe and doesn't currently have the SE lip.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

i am intreuged
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                maybe I don't know what I am talking about or, I am thinking of someone else but i thought he had a Skyline motor in that thing?
                You're right, Russell. My ol' rememberer is a half a bubble out of plumb but the forgetter is working just fine. Jerry and I have had a couple of PM's back and forth and he's called the person in question. Turns out he has some 2JZ experience and will be of some help on this project.

Dan

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm currently gathering parts to mate a Doug Nash 5 speed to a 2JZ block so would really appreciate some info. I see your using what I assume is the RM-4031 bellhousing and block plate but which way have you gone clutch and flywheel wise. Assuming again it's a 2jz flywheel drilled for a chevy based clutch? If so, have you found a cost effective LSR legal flywheel? Also where did you end up with the 2JZ crank and pilot bearing matching your trans?

Would also be interested in the rest of your clutch setup as I'm building in the UK but going LSR like you and would prefer to use US sourced parts in case they need replacing whilst there.

Nice trans package by the way!!

Many Thanks

Stephen Gotz

Comment

It's a Spec multiple disc clutch. Not entirely sure what flywheel we'll be using but it will probably be an off the shelf one for a 2JZ. The GF4 was set up with a 2JZ input shaft, IIRC.

Comment

A project that doesn't involve a sbc is always nice to see. Should be a very interesting build. 2jz is a stout piece right out of the showroom, should make you guys lots of reliable power.

Comment

Test fitting the engine in the engine bay.

The shift linkage doesn't clear the stock trans tunnel. Sawzall time.

The funny car style cage is starting to take shape, too.

Comment

Over kill on the saws-all? Looking super clean though!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

This is freakin' awesome. The 'cage-work looks GREAT.

Thanks for posting a build thread here. I'll be following this one regularly.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the taped cage won't pass tech. But if that works out for you let me know as it might pay off on the Buzz Bomb.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X