No announcement yet.

Mary's 40 Ford coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The painter still has the deck lid....he wants to paint all three pieces at once.........
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Sounds like things are progressing nicely! You guys have a great thanksgiving!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Well, in spite of the yard work, the house work, flying, and all the other things going on in our lives, I have been doing a little work on the coupe.

Fuel system is complete and pressure tested up to the regulator. The old gal has 3 gallons of 91 octane in the tank. I think she's starting to 'feel it'..........ahahahaha.

One of the most difficult things on these old cars is a mirror system that lets you see around them. I have a pair of 'swan neck' outside mirrors for it, but thought a more sleek style of mirror would look better while still functioning satisfactorily. But, as everything else on these types of cars, space is at a premium, and the smallest things often require lots of time.

Once the passenger side mirror was located to provide what hopefully will be good rear visibility, holes were drilled in the door.

Remember the space problem I mentioned above?? Part of the window channel fairing is hiding the bolts. I could get them in the holes using my fingertips, but there is no way to start and tighten them without the use of my thumb............

Solution?? Cut it out, right? Sawzall?.......nope. Plasma cutter?........nope. Die grinder?........nope. Down to one of the most useful tools in my box.....the trusty close-quarter hacksaw. I hate using that tool, but it has bailed me out numerous times.

40 minutes and several rest periods later, ta-da!! Holes are now accessible.

Next problem.......no room for a ratchet. I resorted to a trick many of you have used, the old 'split hose bolt handle'. Worked like a charm to run the bolts down. Then several passes with a 12-point box end wrench snugged them up nicely.

A few minutes later......success. Small victory, but a welcomed one!

Once the driver's door mirror is mocked up, it's time to pull out the poppers, the window guts, pull the mirrors back off and send the doors and mirrors to the painter. Air conditioning parts came in this week, so that's next, then finally to the drivetrain. More to come.
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 3, 2017, 09:42 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Moving forward (however slowly.......)

Dan

Comment

• Progress is good....
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I love watching this, it is my basic plans for the 50 Sedanet.... the 'retirement' project
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Looking real nice buddy!
                Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Got everything prepped and installed the engine/transmission today.

As usual, things aren't just right........the headers fit so close to the block that they pinch the engine mounts at the block. I'll take the headers off and modify the mounts. You know.....grind to fit, repaint, reinstall. Sheesh.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Good progress Ed!

If it was easy - it wouldn't feel as good when you finish it.

Comment

• Does my heart good to see a Ford motor going in a Ford. Great job Ed!!!
                      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• I'll go ahead and say it... you can leave the motor mounts alone if flip those headers upside down and mount up a couple of hairdryers on them. Looks like you have plenty of room.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• She's gonna be B-E-A-U-ti-ful!!!
                          Last edited by silver_bullet; December 31, 2017, 08:41 AM.
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• When I was 15, there was a 40 Ford coupe outside a truck shop, the mechanic said he'd sell it to me for $25.. Needed a small block chevy and manual tranny.. All set up.. Dad said no.. Ford needs ford.

Comment

• Small steps, but some progress in spite of the weather, work, and life in general..........
                              got the pulley spacer from March. System looks pretty good, even without the belt. I am having a little trouble finding a 1/2" X 1/2" 90* hose that will work for the 'bypass' from the water pump to the water neck (Ford's term for thermostat housing, I guess.).........why does Ford 'bypass' the thermostat? Oh well, the part is out there in one form or another........just a small stumbling block.

Been doing some wiring when time permits. Battery is installed, ignition switch, lights, wipers and fuel pump are done. Brake lights and fan hopefully tomorrow.

I think the fuse panel is going to work very well in the trunk. I wired the fan and fuel pump relays to a switch which puts the factory relays and mine in series so I can manually control those items, and added a small indicator light to show power to the fuel pump. Hopefully that will never be left on as it's wired to the battery bus. Other relays are for the left and right door openers and the power windows.

Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 29, 2018, 05:34 PM.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Man I can almost see it on power tour already!

Comment

Working...
                                X