No announcement yet.

Mary's 40 Ford coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the encouragement guys. Mary is very pleased with it so far.

While the old gal is in painter's jail, I've been doing some small stuff, but had been putting off/dreading trying to install the power windows. About a month ago I decided it wasn't going to do itself so I took the plunge and ordered the parts. The glass guy was behind but he finally got the glass made and the stuff all came in early this week.

Mocking up was a little involved, with lots of 'thinking', reading instructions, re-reading instructions (for what they were worth......), but eventually I got the dimensions figured out for the front channel, got it parallel to the fixed rear channel, and where exactly these little spacer blocks needed to go. The hardest part was locating the holes in the sheet metal, since the assembly is inside the door.

Once they were where I thought they should be, I started the somewhat difficult task of making the 7-foot long felt channel fit the glass. I really could have used about 4 more hands, but the masking tape did the trick.

Another issue ( and may still be during final assembly) was getting both felt channels and the riser channel in the same plane. Made some spacers to get them all as close as possible, but there may be more adjustments ahead of me. I have not glued anything down yet, including the glass to the bottom channel. Nor have I installed the felts on the bottom of the window opening. I put a little tape on the glass to cushion it while I did my 'testing'. After about 16 hours of head-scratching, creative fabricating, a few bad words and a couple of 'do-overs', it was time to try it.

This is an aftermarket kit by Ball's Rod and Kustom. Quality stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you can be both creative and very patient. So far, I'm pleased and hope it goes back together and works as well when I reassemble it as it does now.
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; August 5, 2017, 05:48 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Wow... that's some mighty fine work there!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Looks like a professional job to me!
        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Hey Ed who's kit did you use and do they just sale they motors?
          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• This company supplied the riser channel and motors. They have offices in Florida and California.

Made in the USA power window kits, power windows, power window kit, aftermarket power window kits, universal power window kit, hot rod power window kits electric power windows, power windows kit.

The glass and channels came from California somewhere..........the vendor is Mr. 40s Fatstuff.

Might all be the same company, but I got separate invoices.
            Last edited by oletrux4evr; August 7, 2017, 05:06 PM.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Thanks Ed my glass I have made here local and I already have all the window channels and all door seals. Plus I want to keep my window cranks so I'm going to get window crank switches.

Comment

• Yeah, I like those.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
                  Plus I want to keep my window cranks so I'm going to get window crank switches.
                  Gregg - other sources might include
                  Specialty Power Windows - window motors with cable driven lift channels (out of Georgia)
                  Watson Street Works - switches (but I don't believe they have the OEM style crank switches

Comment

• Thanks Allen the window switches Macs Auto parts has the correct ones for the truck. So no modifications are needed but they don't carry electric motor kits.

Comment

• The second door is finished. First one took two days, this one only took 2 hours. speaks volumes for experience, doesn't it?
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Cool!!
                        Got the window motors ordered tonight from Auto loc.

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          The second door is finished. First one took two days, this one only took 2 hours. speaks volumes for experience, doesn't it?
                          Those sharp bends on beaded channel were very challenging for me on the wagon. Looks like you have a good handle on the process now.

Comment

• Hey Ed if you need the practice I'll send you two more doors!!

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Those sharp bends on beaded channel were very challenging for me on the wagon. Looks like you have a good handle on the process now.
                              Very much so. Probably the hardest part of the job.

OK Greg, I'll be glad to do them at no charge. I'll PM you my address.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Thanks buddy I was just pulling your leg. Besides you and the UPS driver would need a tetanus shot just to touch Maggie. Ha Ha. Nah she's not that bad but I still want to buy new windows and get the doors ready to be jammed so I can install all the window channels and seals once. Plus I still have to get some other parts together to finish the job. But thanks again you did a beautiful job on yours.

Comment

Working...
                                X