No announcement yet.

Mary's 40 Ford coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not to be a smart Alec but my hoist was $1700 delivered (Pace tools). It is a Chinese unit but the pump is American and it's served me well for 12 years or so. Best tool in the shop.

Dan

Comment

• You need a four post lift they are great for exhaust work!
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• We're selling the lake house and have bought a house in Wichita. It sits on enough land to build a real garage/shop, and let me assure you, there is a lift in the plans. My days of laying on the garage floor are nearing an end!. It's unfortunate I have to finish this car before that happens. Still arguing with myself over 2-post vs 4-post.........I'd rather have a 4-post, but everything I own is so low that getting up on it may make the determination.
        More to come.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I worked under both.. Get 2 post!
          The 4 post has the ramps in the way!

Comment

• Being on your back is I admit uncomfortable and it's irksome if you have'nt remembered all the tools required.
            But working looking up with both hands over your
            head is tiring for the neck, and poor old heart pumping blood up to your finger tips.

Comment

• The best thing about a 4 post is it sets your car at ride height so you don't have clearence problems. For low vechecials you use ramp extensions 2x10s that can be removed.
              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Good for you guys! Best of luck with the new house!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
                  The best thing about a 4 post is it sets your car at ride height so you don't have clearence problems. For low vechecials you use ramp extensions 2x10s that can be removed.
                  When I fantasize about having a real shop with a lift - I think that the 2 post is more useful / versatile for most of the work I do. I know you can buy the jack accessory for the four post to lift the car off of its suspension but does that mean you have to buy two of them if you are rotating tires or doing a 4 corner brake job????

I guess you just need two lifts!

Comment

• 2 post is far more useful then a 4 post. 4 post is great for storage.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'm more than happy with the 2 post. I did make some tall jack stands so I can load the suspension when needed, which isn't often. And yes, you CAN put up a car trailer on a 2 post but it takes a set of car skates and some fiddlin' around.

Dan

Comment

• Imo if I was only going to have one lift in my shop it would be a four post with air Jacks. A four post is more useful you can do so much more with them. First off easier to rack just drive on and raise you can do all the work that you need the suspension loaded for. Plus you can do alingments with a set of turn plates. I can do everything on my four post that I can on my two post good thing is I don' have to choose I have both, but if I only had one it would be my four post. Just my opinion. Plus it's easier to rack my Econoline it can be racked on my two post but it takes alot of work on that short wheelbase truck. Again just my opinion.
                        Last edited by pintoboy77; March 30, 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Imo if I was only going to have one lift in my shop it would be a four post with air Jacks. A four post is more useful you can do so much more with them. First off easier to rack just drive on and raise you can do all the work that you need the suspension loaded for. Plus you can do alingments with a set of turn plates. I can do everything on my four post that I can on my two post good thing is I don' have to choose I have both, but if I only had one it would be my four post. Just my opinion. Plus it's easier to rack my Econoline it can be racked on my two post but it takes alot of work on that short wheelbase truck. Again just my opinion.
                          dropping an automatic transmission through the two rails.
                          pulling a motor from under the car
                          dropping a rear end straight down

and there's the other bit - if you're running an oil change/alignment service where time is money - then absolutely, get it no higher then necessary and get a 4 post; however, this is all DIY so a car residing on a lift for months is kind of the norm.
                          Not just that, but it takes more space for a 4 post
                          the more space you have under the car, the better. Something else to consider. There's little reason you couldn't put a coverable trench between the posts of your two post lift.... just sayin'
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'll wager if Pinto had just one..... It'd be a 2 poster..
                            Plus you do not need to stoop so low under the 2 post's "ramps"

Comment

• My new lift that's going in my home shop is a two post drive on rack with air jacks. Nothing to duck under till you get to the middle of the car front and rear. It will raise 72" so no ducking under the ramps for me either. It's and old Hunter rack I pulled out of a customers place another good thing the ramp only set 3" off the floor.

Comment

My new lift that's going in my home shop is a two post drive on rack with air jacks. Nothing to duck under till you get to the middle of the car front and rear. It will raise 72" so no ducking under the ramps for me either. It's and old Hunter rack I pulled out of a customers place another good thing the ramp only set 3" off the floor.
                                Did the city finally "permit" you for the new shop?
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X