No announcement yet.

the notso pretty 56 F100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when i scraped my old S-10 I did think about using that frame BUT i want to go fenderless and since no fenders and ifs dont mesh well with one another I decided on building a whole new frame. I did acquire another S10 frame for a sbc powered S10 I want to build so after i get the F100 cab off the frame and build a dolly of sorts to set just the body on to roll around it will go over to my friends shop and sit in the corner and i'll tinker with it in my spare time while I get the specs laid out on the new frame and get that going
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

IFS front side, 9'' or 8.8 back, 302 curler and an AOD, 15'' metal tires for now on radial tires - strategy is to do some looking for photos of a delayed 50s beginning 60s force truck/ assistance vehicle and do something like that
      Auto transport

Comment

since im not working saturday now i have time to actually work on something i want to, so i dove into the engine compartment of the yukon ripping out everything making 3 piles, trash/useless , try to resale, and stuff to put on my 91, after being under the yukon I saw something i wansnt expecting, the factory trans mount is a nice piece that looks like I will be able to use in the S10 frame after its been narrowed

Comment

went to a very reputable machine shop today in houston to talk about the cylinder heads im going to put on the 350, right around $400 to machine the valve guides for more lift, put in screw in studs, valve job and install valve springs, does that sound about right ?

also went to a pick n pull yard that is right down the street from there, found a complete disc brake rear 8.8 from a late model ford exploder, $180 bux for that, seemed kinda high to me BUT it is complete, there were 3 different ones there, I need to find how to read the vin or see if theres a sticker in the door that tells me gear ratio and if it has a LSD in it

Comment

That $400 would go quite a ways towards aftermarket aluminum heads that flow better?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Ford put a tag on one of the cover bolts you want the one that says 3L 73 I worked in a Salvage Yard one summer, we had to pull the covers and count the gears on all rear that would be sold. You can put marks on the input and brake and turn to see if the ratio looks right, put pry bars in the lug and check for Limited Slip.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

awsum, thanx Russell

Comment

Any time the Geek in me loves some gear ratios! Quick Change is on the long list!
                  Last edited by Russell; February 28, 2013, 06:01 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

$400 is probably about right for that level of machine work - but I have to agree that for that kind of money - aftermarket heads - even if you go with iron units - are probably a really good buy instead of putting that money into old factory castings.

Russell tree'd me on the rear axle stuff - the last few years of explorers came with 8.8 that had rear discs, the vast majority of those were equipped with 3.73 traction loc diff's - which are pretty simple and cheap to rebuild with new steels and clutches.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

well I already have the heads and if i try saving for aftermarket heads this truck will never get finished, im tired of not having a hot rod to drive around in, ive been jacked around by the guy who was supposed to build it originally, 5 years later im out $3,500 in parts and materials. Im doing this on my own with what little knowledge I have and help from you all on the forums, Yea I know theres better stuff out there but money is a huge factor in this build and im trying to get it done as cheaply as possible, I know cheap isnt always better but if you're smart about it it can work out to your benefit in the end

Comment

I agree - done is better than not done, and driving something beats the living crap out of jackstand or body shop hell.

ENJOY that's what we're here for.

You can always top end it later with better heads and cam.

To quote one of the best lines typed on this site: "don't let perfect get in the way of done"
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Explorers and F150's should have 31 spline axles too. They're offset but I suspect you have plent of room to accomodate that. What heads are you getting the work done on? Vortecs are notorious for cracking...
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

ive got a pair of 062s. As of right now im planning on doing a cam install, thats why im getting the head work done, intake, and ignition, stock bottom end, and a custom exhaust (lake side pipes with baffles)

Comment

If you don't like my idea I am fine with it. Just lap the valves and get a smaller cam. Save the $400 for something else or HP parts Later.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                                well I already have the heads and if i try saving for aftermarket heads this truck will never get finished, im tired of not having a hot rod to drive around in, ive been jacked around by the guy who was supposed to build it originally, 5 years later im out $3,500 in parts and materials. Im doing this on my own with what little knowledge I have and help from you all on the forums, Yea I know theres better stuff out there but money is a huge factor in this build and im trying to get it done as cheaply as possible, I know cheap isnt always better but if you're smart about it it can work out to your benefit in the end
                                Sucks on the 5 years and parts.....hope you get this project
                                up and running soon.
                                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                                X