Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    A buddy loaned me his three manuals for the fox body Mustangs. What a great resource to have.
    It's a sad state of affairs, to finally realize we're old enough to actually WANT to read the instructions!
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
      It's a sad state of affairs, to finally realize we're old enough to actually WANT to read the instructions!
      LOL, boy ain't that the truth.
      I'm still learning

Comment

• Nice work! Manuals are a must! You're paying a lot of attention to detail on this build, well done!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I had my manual out yesterday, trying to get my windshield washer pump to work. Its amazing the amount of information that can be found in the old body manuals. The car is looking great, good luck with the engine.

Comment

• FE Rebuild

Originally posted by R442 View Post
            I had my manual out yesterday, trying to get my windshield washer pump to work. Its amazing the amount of information that can be found in the old body manuals. The car is looking great, good luck with the engine.
            Hard not to get overexcited and silly as this engine build looms. Strange voices are talking inside my head: one says "BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET" but another interupts with "POWER POWER POWER".

So far BUDGET X 3 is prevailing. But I detect weakness.

I've already had the iron GT heads reconditioned (3-angle valve job, hardened exhaust seats, new guides, seals and springs) and purchased a COMP Cams XE 256 K-kit (included springs installed on the heads). All this cost a third less than a pair of Edelbrock aluminum 72cc FE heads -- although the iron heads won't make near the power the Edelbrocks would with the same cam. No matter, aluminum heads can be got when I score that lottery win...

Sizing up stroker options for the short block: 416, 431 and 445. For about $200 difference I don't know why I would go for anything other than the 445. I'm hoping that reconditioned iron heads, 4.25-in stroke rotating assembly, FPA headers, XE 256 cam and a PI aluminum intake will have decent giddyup to 5000 RPM.

Expecting input from Barry R later this week.

Credit cards are off limits for this one, so we'll see how far the piggy bank can be squeezed before squealing.
            Last edited by mlcraven; July 10, 2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• I know what you mean about the excitement of the motor possibilities. I am looking at options and pricing on mine as well. It's amazing what can be done with the right parts. I started with a .040 over 400 and after a few calls I was told up to a 488 was possible, if the block passed sonic testing. Who knows where it will end up at. The budget X 3 sounds about right, luckily my wife understands how this works and expects it to cost at least twice of my original budget.

Comment

• Did something that didn't cost a dime tonight -- got the emergency brake and related components installed. Thing almost reassembled itself!

Comment

• FE Rebuild - Update

Sat down with my engine guy Kurt this weekend and made some decisions - the IMF would be pleased, fiscal prudence overruled impulsiveness. None of that reckless Greek blood in me so the stroker option is out.

On dissassembly the short block and rotating assembly looked good, especially considering this is the first time it has been apart since the car was built.

Going to reuse the stock crank and rods, augmented with ARP rod bolts and .030 over Speed Pro forged pistons. The re-built C7AEA iron heads checked out at 74cc so planning on a mildly dished piston that will give about 9.5:1 compression.

Will upgrade the oiling system with a HV pump and 7 quart Milodon pan, also going to install rocker shaft end stands on the heads -- even though I don't plan to take the engine north of 5500 RPM for $130.00 they seem like good insurance.

My modest goal here is to slightly exceed the torque and power levels produced by the original late-60s 390 GT engines -- I'm hoping for about 420 lb/ft and 325-330 hp. Not a screamer but should get down the road smartly and minimize time in the passing lane when required.
                  Last edited by mlcraven; August 16, 2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Remember to get a upgraded oil pump shaft to go with that HV pump.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Thanks, I'll do that.

Comment

• Check out precision oil pumps on Ebay - he makes the rocker support stands, heavy duty shafts, etc. Lots of guys on the FE forum have been very please with the comp cam grinds in their engines - lots of guys running the 268, do some reading over there and give Barry R a call if you have questions before making your cam / spring / rocker purchases.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Check out precision oil pumps on Ebay - he makes the rocker support stands, heavy duty shafts, etc. Lots of guys on the FE forum have been very please with the comp cam grinds in their engines - lots of guys running the 268, do some reading over there and give Barry R a call if you have questions before making your cam / spring / rocker purchases.
                          Thanks for the recommend -- I ordered the FE rocker shaft end stands, iron head oil restrictor kit and ARP rocker shaft fastener kit today, should be here by the end of the week. Doug is a helpful fellow.

Have had telcons with Barry R twice since April about this engine and thought I'd receive an e-mail with some recommendations but he must be busy -- nothing heard and I'm itching to get going. Kurt at Magnum Machine here in Chesapeake has done a few FEs over the years and his customers are happy so I'm staying local.

Talked to the COMP Cams rep at HHRR at Beech Bend last month. On the basis of our conversation (highway cruiser keeping the the stock convertor in the C6 and 3:1 gear) I'm going with the recommended XE 256 kit, now bought.

With a docile cam and 9.5:1 compression I'm concerned that I may have aimed low relative to my objective (meet or exceed the power output of a 66-67 390 GT motor) but the quality of gas isn't getting any better and I don't want to be pulling this thing apart again anytime in the next 20 years.

BTW, great progress on the Falcon -- you and Thumpin 455 really are the masters of bringing old cars back from the dead!
                          Last edited by mlcraven; April 16, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• FE Shiny Bits

Picked up the timing chain cover, thermostat housing and PI alum intake from the powder coaters today. Pleased with the result. They had to shoot the intake 3 times before they were happy with it, but I wasn't charged anything extra.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Nice

Comment

• ooooh shiney! how do you get it off after you bake it? Sand blaster? Is pretty....definite like.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X