Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

I have been following this on the HAMB, and I think it's the most kick ass build I have seen. I have the plastic model of Tommy Ivo's four engine car, and even in scale it's an intimidating build.
    Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Thanks Lon'! The finer points and parts to put all the big pieces together are going to be the death of me:D After deciding to run the trans I went to Turners Auto Wrecking and found a slip yoke to replace the fixed yoke on the trans, with the trans and the rear end solid, the yoke being within 6" of the trans bearing I think it will be fine. With that out of the way I picked up some "Freeze Plug" for the shifter and speedo holes and had to get a seal for the combo which on all other fixed tail housings is the same EXCEPT the one I'm using........no problem for KAMAN Brg here in Fresno.
      With all of that out of the way I put her all together and ended up with a pretty short combo, now I'm waiting on a Top Loader T150 shifter for it and it will be done!

Next I'll finish the Bellhousing, finish the engine plate and put the whole thing on the jig. Rocky

Comment

I mocked up the drive assembly for a look and now have to blow it all apart, make an alignment tool for the engine to rearend alignment then hopefully we'll be on to building a roller!

Comment

I LIKE it (in the old-fashioned way!). Super setup for sure.

Dan

Comment

Made some progress since the last post............
            Originally the motorplate was going to be part of the frame (welded) but I found an area I could get the tubing past the starter so now I can remove both or an individual engine.
            I made some progress today and got the rear section all sized up and tac'd, the easy part, the little things will kill ya:D It starting to look more like a '62 or 3 with the roll cage I built, but I'm pretty happy.

Here is how the top bar attaches to the engine, it does trap the bellhousing making it impossible to get it out without moving the engines forward but I really didn't want to cut the bellhousing more than I have.

My goal is to have it rolling by the March Meet, we'll see. Rocky

Comment

Very cool!!! How ya gonna time em off each other??? curious to know.... see if ya can soften the power pulses to prolong flywheel gear life???

Comment

Tming has been debated......... decided on having the REV engine fire 10* after the STD rotation engine fires. It was one of many ideas kick around and sounded good, we'll see. Rocky

Comment

Another productive weekend finishing some of the more challenging parts of the build. After fitting a couple of uprights in the drvers area (still need to add the kidney bars) and fabbing the anti-rotation bracket I dove into the front upper frame rails.

The upper rails need to be removable to get the engines out so I came up with this connection...............

The connection will require the lower frame to flex, allowing the upper rail to seperate enough (about 1/2") to uncouple the connection. The upper rail connects to the engines where the old front mounts were.

Once the upper rails were completed the task of "Pie" cutting the frame rail ends was next, and really had me intimidated.

The rails are 1 3/4" (lower) and 1 1/2" top so I started with marking 1" off the lower and 3/4" on the top. After cutting it short of my mark and grinding and grinding the measurement turned out perfect so the other side went much quicker.

All tac'd together and time to fish mouth the frame end for the "Torsion" tube. I measured for wheelbase and dilled 1/4" pilot holes on both sides of each rail then cut with a 1 3/4" hole saw. Having a piece of metal for the holesaw to rest on really helps with keeping your cut centered.

Cleaned up the cuts, final fitted remeasuring the wheelbase and tac'd in the tube.

After all the work I had a little time to play and mock it up:D

With any luck it may be running by May!

Comment

Heres a couple installments I failed to post :P

Before going any further with the rear end mounts I thought I'd better check the bell housing alignment and I found it was off by .020". So off it came, drilled the mounting and pilot holes out and got it within .003", then made some plates with the dowel hole diameter and welded them to the housing. While I had it off I also straightened the trans up to allow the "Top" shift to clear the frame rail. All back together and time to fab the rearend mounting.

Tonight I fitted the X braces between the engine and rearend, I want to get all this area welded before I mount the rear end in case of any movement due to welding. I also installed a Xmember below the 3rd member for the anti-rotation mount and shaped the frame to frt axle links that will simulate a torsion set up.

Also shown are the F1 spindles machined to car specs and the Harly wire wheels I plan on using.

After cleaning up I had to set a tire up and take it all in:D

Comment

Those manifolds and carbs are going to look soooo bitchin' standing up there for everyone to see.

Your bellhousing work will pay off big time, most stick shift guys overlook that kind of set-up checking, and then wonder why it's tough to shift at speed.
                      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

this si going to be so cool when finished.

i have always liked multi engined vehcles. just find the engineering so interesting to get both engine to run in sinc with each other

Comment

Ya know Toymaker, I,m looking at your work. I just had to go back a few pages and double check on exactly what you did for a living. I thought it was working in a truck repair shop and I was right. Obviously you've done this before, building cars. I'm sure they would be interesting to see as well. This project is really kick ass! It's great to see some one who knows how to use tools and get the most out of what you have.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

This is awesome. I'v been wondering how long the ring gear teeth will last though, those things really sung when it was fired up!

Comment

Thanks Guys, time will tell about the ring gear life ;D We'll have it at the March Meet on display, stop and say hi if ya attend. Rocky

Comment

I think timing is going to be everything in keeping the ring gear alive. They ran some pretty weak stuff to pretty amazing speeds in the late 50s to the 60s... maybe buy ring gears by the dozen?
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X