The Pontiac OHC Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Pontiac OHC Six

As ingenious as this looks, I'm having visions of you and your six popper toboggan ending up in a ugly heap at the bottom of your backyard.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm having visions of how it will get back OUT of the basement....... ???
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
        I'm having visions of how it will get back OUT of the basement....... ???
        In pieces! I want to disassemble it in the warmth of my basement, plus be a ton more organized and put the parts immediately where they will be stored until they go for machine work or are needed again.

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        As ingenious as this looks, I'm having visions of you and your six popper toboggan ending up in a ugly heap at the bottom of your backyard.
        It'll be fine....... After using the jack stands as a pivot point and the axle (minus carrier) as a counter weight to fully support the weight of the engine and no horrible cracking sounds of the 2x4's, then picking up the far end and dragging it, I'm thinking more and more it'll be fine. Once in the basement I'll assemble the engine hoist down there and put it back on the engine stand for disassembly. Pending tonights exersion on pulling/dragging it to the basement stairs, if it's too tough I'll put whole thing on a 2x4 and ice down everything under it and on the path to the basement. -9*F(riggin) this morning. The jeep didn't like it, think I froze the radiator up......
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Dude - you're 30 you can't lift like you're 15 anymore ;D

OK - seriously - coming from a guy who's moved an upright piano down the stairs of an old farm house with a rope and a backhoe loader....

TIE THAT THING OFF!

DO NOT get under it on it's way down the stairs!

I would get a couple pieces of lumber long enough to form a 'ramp' down the stairs that the pallet can slide on.

Then, I'd tie off the engine / pallet combination to the bumper of the jeep - put the jeep in low low so it will creep, and lower it down the stairs by moving the jeep.

If you can't get a vehicle situated to do the above idea - wrap the rope around a tree or some other nearly imovable object that's hopefully round - and use it as your "cable brake" as you lower it down the stairs acting as the counterweight.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

that thing must be like a feather compared to the engines I've been playing with the last few days...GMC 305 V6s....they make a BBC look light

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              Dude - you're 30 you can't lift like you're 15 anymore ;D
              God, I wish I could still lift like I was 30...

Comment

My basement stairs don't dive to steeply, at least less steeply than lots of stairs I've seen. I guess a key point is that the floor of my basement is roughly a four foot drop from ground level. So vertically I'm not going down that far and I think the length of my "sled" is adequate to maintain a reasonable slope. It's about an 8ft sled for 4 vertical feet, so a 1:2 slope ratio, 30 degree slope?

Comment

4ft drop is better than what I was envisioning.

Still - tie the thing off, and don't get under it on the way down!

If you can manage to "lower" it down the stairs using a vehicle and a chain or tow strap - that would be ideal, I don't want to read about you in the hospital with a broken leg or worse.

Comment

My brother and I built a few motors in our parents basement and carriered them up 12 steps....but they were VW aircooled engines :

You can borrow my 8N.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Sounds like a great excuse to buy a winch for the jeep with a remote - you can link it to the pallet, and control the move down the stairs with the remote. 8)

Comment

I plan on using one of those locking in one direction straps tied to a vehicle for a safety line for a controlled decent. I'll tie the line on before the sled leaves the horizontal direction. Once it's grounded against the basement floor and hopefully bound up on the stairs digging into the 2x4's I'll undo the two straps holding it to the sled (leaving the two straps holding it to the pallet it's on). From there...Let the magic happen Because of when the sun goes down, it may be tomorrow before it makes IN the basement, I hope to have it at least all lined up for the stairs today.

Comment

Good luck - I'm sure you'll post pictures as always.... hopefully none of them contain carnage! :D

Comment

Hey Randal, idea. Can you get your hands on those conveyor tracks with all those little steel wheels like they use in supermarkets and trucks to move stock?
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I don't see being able to get ahold of the steel wheeled conveyors, but at the same time I think I like the co-efficient of friction between the engine pallet and wooden sled, and actually hope it's not too high or too low. The wheeled one could be trouble, requiring me to use all my weight and then some to control the decent. Friction is going to be my friend I hope.

John, ME EITHER!!

Comment

ya know, if you was married, you'd have a helper around

(I got Janet to help me bleed a clutch last night, and the night before she helped push a truck into the shop, and move it while I dropped the engine in)
                                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X