Ole Truck Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ole Truck Project

I guess I need to start off by saying that........

YES I'M GETTING MORE AND MORE LIKE MY DAD > (lots of projects and never work on them)

also

I am ashamed to admit that I have not touched my Malibu project since I moved to Tennessee :-\

All of that said, This was my friend's truck and he decided to move to California and couldn't take it with him.

I could not let someone screw this thing up, so I bought it. I need help with ideas on the engine/trans setup as I have ZERO experience with anything old and MOPAR and especially HEMI. I'm also looking for name ideas for it

The idea is old school, not rat rod. No offense to anyone, just not my thing.

Details

1947 dodge p/u chopped and dropped

1955 DeSoto 291 Fire Flight Hemi with the DeSoto automatic (would like to go 4/5 speed)

Other than that, I'm still figuring out what has been done wow and why.

I will be getting the Malibu drivable before any serious work happens here, but it's here for discussion/debate.

What do ta think?

A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Re: Ole Truck Project

Whoa, ultra cool!! ;D Finally a Chrysler rod with a Hemi! ;D

I trust you'll come up with an appropriate name... LOL ... how about Trailer Park Pickup or White Trash Truck? :D
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

dang, you come up with the coolest projects
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

White Trash Truck ;D I could carry around the blocks to park it on hehehe

told the wife it could be "Hemi"roid ......she went :

thx BuickGuy
        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Hemi-roid. That's funny! ;D
          President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

FLippin sweeeeeet!

I'm not much help at all on the hemi - other than to agree that it's totally wickedly cool - as is the truck it will motivate.

I agree on the modern trans upgrade - OD is a must for cruising!

Looks like a lot of hard work is already done.

I agree - finish the 'bu wagon first - but - this thing is going to be totally cool!

I say red or black steel wheels with baby moon hubcaps, wider in the rear than in the front.

Stick with a traditional solid color that one of these may have come from the factory with, - don't keep it flat black IMHO.

Some kind of cool cover for the bed so you can use it as a trunk for long hauls - simple but comfy interior with AC for same long hauls, and leave the sides off the engine compartment to allow that sweet looking mill to show itself off!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sweet score!

It looks like somebody has done lotsa fab work in the rear for bags, yet it rides on coilovers. What's your take on it? Is that a gas tank mount?

I'm unfamiliar with that old trans; is that a parking brake drum on the tailshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                FLippin sweeeeeet!

I'm not much help at all on the hemi - other than to agree that it's totally wickedly cool - as is the truck it will motivate.

I agree on the modern trans upgrade - OD is a must for cruising!

Looks like a lot of hard work is already done.

I agree - finish the 'bu wagon first - but - this thing is going to be totally cool!

I say red or black steel wheels with baby moon hubcaps, wider in the rear than in the front.

Stick with a traditional solid color that one of these may have come from the factory with, - don't keep it flat black IMHO.

Some kind of cool cover for the bed so you can use it as a trunk for long hauls - simple but comfy interior with AC for same long hauls, and leave the sides off the engine compartment to allow that sweet looking mill to show itself off!
                Thanks John,

I agree it will NOT stay flat charcoal color. I have plans to stay with the old school theme (not rat rod), however I want to use a a o/d trans and keep the disks on the front. It will most likely get single stage simple color/colors. We will see about the a/c it's looking pretty crowded in there (and of course a/c does not make it look or sound any better; nor cost less ;D).

Originally posted by Weldangrind
                Sweet score!

It looks like somebody has done lotsa fab work in the rear for bags, yet it rides on coilovers. What's your take on it? Is that a gas tank mount?

I'm unfamiliar with that old trans; is that a parking brake drum on the tailshaft?
                Thanks

Yes, those are air bag mounts. The guy who started it wanted to use bags, but could not get it as low as he wanted to with that setup. Or so I was told. I may use the bag mounts, as I do not care for throwing sparks or scraping every bump in the road. Once I get the Hemi/trans mounted I'll make a call on the final suspension choice.

Yes the DeSoto trans has the e-brake on the tailshaft. Notice the cast iron center section of the trans? ;D it's gotta go
                A.K.A. Brian

Comment

With Milner and others making me look sooo lazy, I decided to spend a few hours the last few evenings evaluating the motor for this project. These De Soto's are tough (read expensive) to get parts for, so I needed to know what it NEEDED.

The story went something like" It was pulled from my 57 Chevy to freshen it up and it never went back in after the rebuild. It's been sitting in the corner of my garage for 15+ years" :

Well, not much of that is true, and to make everyone here feel better about their projects, I thought I'd share a few more pix

#2 AND#3 cylinders are busted bad, bad sludge in oil pan and it has pin holes rusted in it. I cannot wait to see the jack hole that sold this engine to my buddy that I acquired it from. I still might sleeve it, but as a worse case scenario, it will look cool painted up on a stand in the shop

It's only money right ;D

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

yea - that guy deserves a good punch in the nose, what a waste of oxygen.

Man - that's a dead block.... can the heads be used on another block (if such a thing could be had for less $$ than sleeving that one)

I had a sleeve put in a 428 block I ended up selling (wrong date code for my car) I think it was around $140 or so for one - so that adds up quick if you need to do several - or all 8!!

hopefully you can find an adequate replacement - if nothing else - it will be a good mock up piece to help you lay things out as you build around it.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Man what a friggin bust, that sure would be cool in the truck but if it were me that bad boy would be mocked up and sitting in a stand in the garage for eye candy...what other engine options have you considered since this one is toast (assuming you decide not to sleeve the cylinders)
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

NAYSAYERS!!!!!!

Sleeve it the old fashioned way...

Get a 3/4" drill and put a 3.75" hole saw in it. Hog out the bores and put in some 3" lengths of 3" Sch40 pipe! Take it to the machine shop and tell them to square it up and take a pic of the looks on their faces!

;D

Ron
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I'm thinking coffee table.

Too bad but, I most say, the De-Soto mill is the way to go with this project in the future but, in the mean time,

put a leanin' tower of power, slant 6 between its rails, and drive the piss out of it!!!
                          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Oh hello. Too bad about the deSoto hemi. I'm seeing more and more of these engines. Did we just walk by these motors 20 years ago? Where the hell are they all coming from?
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Hey John, the heads only work on Desoto 's and only as a direct bolt on for the "low decks" at that. Not much interchanges between the Dodge, Chrysler, and Desoto hemi. I did see a "rebuild-able core" 291 Desoto for $2500 this week : I could have bought a whole 55 desoto last month with a 276 hemi in it for $700...go figure.

I guess they are worth what someone will pay. You can't even but an aluminum 4bbl intake or even a cam off the shelf for these engines. It is old school hot rodding with these baby Desoto's.

These are around though, I need to be patient. I will NOT trash this block though. If it comes down to it, it will get painted up and look cool as garage art or a glass top table.......

I did talk to a machine shop yesterday that thought it could be sleeved for around 100 per hole.
                              Everything else is savable, so I might just let him check the other 6 holes and let him sleeve it if it's only the 2. time will tell, I don't move all that fast anyway :D

The schedule 40 just might work though ;D..........might have to go looking for a slant 6 in the meantime, I've seen a few of these run pretty well.
                              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X