Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me a new toy!

Here's my new aquisition...

It's a 200,000 mile 1996 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 with a 4.0 V-6 and a 5-speed. She needs a new water pump (new one in the back, still in the box), thermostat (in the back, still in the box), and battery...but will be ready for the road after that. Future plans call for replacing the radio (someone tried stealing the old one), the clutch (the throw-out bearing chatters occasionally), shocks, and hitting the junkyard for a few interior pieces and a radio antenna. The body is in good shape with no rust and a few small dents. The best part? I got it for $450. Hell, the thing would be worth that with a blown engine. If the engine goes in it...well, I guess it will be time to drop in a V-8.

Re: Got me a new toy!

CONGRATS , I just missed out on a black one from Texas for the same money. Of course I would have sbc'ed it so its just as well. Got another bird so it worked out O.K again congrats and it looks good.

Comment

Thanks! I found it on Craigslist. I love it when I can come across something like this. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about cars. He originally wanted $650 for it, but I talked him down to $450. Hel I would've given him his full asking price, but I knew he had to move soon so I figured I'd try to barter and see where it led me. I'll end up putting the $200 savings into it somewhere! ;D

Comment

It never hurts to get a bargain, and have money left for upgrades.

Comment

Well, I put the water pump, thermostat, and new serpentine belt on today. Afte putting in 5 gallons of fresh gas, I took her out for a spin. After blowing the carbon and old gas out of it, I couldn't believe how well it ran. This little S.O.B. will run like a raped ape. It will need a new clutch soon, and I'll need to replace an oddball tire (one was one size smaller than the other three), but should get me through the rest of the winter. Again, can't beat it for $450!

Comment

it is still a EXPLODER LOL just kidding sounds like a great deal

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
              it is still a EXPLODER LOL just kidding sounds like a great deal
              .. it is still an EXPLODER
              ;D

Comment

An Exploder? Do you two know something I don't? I know the older ones with the POS 2.9L V-6 had issues, and the Mazda 5 Speed is kinda weak, but I wasn't aware of any other problem areas.

Comment

Ball joints, front hub & bearing assemblies (with false ABS activation), and brake wear are usually the bugaboos we see here at the dealership on the 2nd gen Explorers. Some of those 4.0L OHV engines had oil and coolant leak issues, but most of them got straightened out back in the day. Overall not a bad vehicle.

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for those issues you pointed out. Sorry everyone if I seem so stoked about an Explorer. I had to sell the T-Bird I had because it blew a transmission right before I deployed a couple of years ago, and Virginia Beach has an ordinance against broken down cars. They would've dragged my ass to court over the thing sitting for any long period of time, so I had to unload it. I've spent the past two years wrenching on my friends rides when I wasn't out to sea (which was alot). This thing may be just an "Exploder" and you guys may find my enthusiasm silly, but it's mine and it gives me something to wrench on besides my friends stuff. That, and she'll also be my means to drive back and forth to work (it's nice having two cars again). I'm still looking for something more "musclecarish" but for right now, my Exploder will have to do.

Comment

They also flip over fairly easily. Give it a shot.

Comment

I don't think there's anything silly about getting excited over an exploder. It's what you got. Now do something cool with it!

Comment

I'd have the following handpainted

"Old-School Nascar Style"

on the top of the driver's door:

Driver: Al Cowlings

Comment

My advise - lower it if you can. It's about the only thing you can do to it to make it more stable and not look weird - gotta be either lower or wider. Suspension helps too, of course, but I have no clue as to what's available for these, and I suspect it will be pricer than lowering.

In any case, have fun and enjoy. Anything can be fun if you play with it.

Later
                            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
                              I'll keep an eye out for those issues you pointed out. Sorry everyone if I seem so stoked about an Explorer. I had to sell the T-Bird I had because it blew a transmission right before I deployed a couple of years ago, and Virginia Beach has an ordinance against broken down cars. They would've dragged my ass to court over the thing sitting for any long period of time, so I had to unload it. I've spent the past two years wrenching on my friends rides when I wasn't out to sea (which was alot). This thing may be just an "Exploder" and you guys may find my enthusiasm silly, but it's mine and it gives me something to wrench on besides my friends stuff. That, and she'll also be my means to drive back and forth to work (it's nice having two cars again). I'm still looking for something more "musclecarish" but for right now, my Exploder will have to do.
                              As long as you never lose sight of the fact it's an Exploder, have fun with it ;D
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X