Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got me a new toy!

Originally posted by DanStokes
    I haven't messed with lowering a 4x4, but I'm guessing it's doable. Heck, ANYTHING'S doable! Getting 4 tars (NC for tires - I'm learning the language) that know each other has GOT to help, as well as shocks that still have all (oil) in them. Shock oil is the equivalent of electronic smoke - they don't work if you let it out.

Have fun and come back safe
    Dan
    Dan, isnt that pronounced EARL in NC as in "moter earl is moter earl"
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Went to the junkyard yesterday and pulled some much needed things for the Exploder. I pulled the following...

Emergency brake assembly (mine wont stay engaged)
      Seat Latch (my seat won't stay up without something in behind it)
      Timing Belt Tensioner (hey, it was new off of a wrecked Ranger)
      Seat Belt Latch (my seat belt latch is stuck and wont disengage the seat belt)
      Speaker covers (the old ones are nowhere to be found)
      Ashtray assembly (some gorilla snapped off the my ligher housing)
      Drivers side lower kick pannel (same gorilla snapped the old one in two)
      Radio antenna (guess the gorilla made off with it)

The cool part is I got all this stuff for $18. It was half-price day at Pick-n-Pull. They didn't have any later models than 1996, so I didn't pull the sway bars off of any of them. Considering the cars I saw get picked clean while I was there, I figure they'll have some new stuff in the yard within the next week or two. it was a good day nonetheless...although the wife did get on my case for being there for so long! ;D

And to answer Will's question, I'm a Fire Controlman onboard USS Normandy (CG-60). I've been in for 16 years. The last time I served with any DS's was onboard my first ship (USS Bainbridge CGN-25). They ended up turning DS's into either FC's of ET's. Most Computer type DS's went FC, and most Console type DS's went ET.

Comment

I was apprenticed to a guy from Cherk-ey (found out later that was "Cherokee") NC, and he said it was "ALL". So I bought him an icepick. He said with frustration "no, I want the all, not the all". Never did hear the difference. Then he wanted 5 quarts instead of the gallon I brought him, and he told me to bring "all the all". I eventually was able to figure it out the first time from the context.

BTW - the coastal accent (where I live now) is very different - more like Savannah. Soft and refined. Go 100 miles inland and the BBQ and the accent change beyond all recognition.

'Earl" is more southern Missouri/Oklahoma area.

Later
        Dan

Originally posted by ls7gto
        I haven't messed with lowering a 4x4, but I'm guessing it's doable. Heck, ANYTHING'S doable! Getting 4 tars (NC for tires - I'm learning the language) that know each other has GOT to help, as well as shocks that still have all (oil) in them. Shock oil is the equivalent of electronic smoke - they don't work if you let it out.

Have fun and come back safe
        Dan
        Dan, isnt that pronounced EARL in NC as in "moter earl is moter earl"

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
          Went to the junkyard yesterday and pulled some much needed things for the Exploder. I pulled the following...

Emergency brake assembly (mine wont stay engaged)
          Seat Latch (my seat won't stay up without something in behind it)
          Timing Belt Tensioner (hey, it was new off of a wrecked Ranger)
          Seat Belt Latch (my seat belt latch is stuck and wont disengage the seat belt)
          Speaker covers (the old ones are nowhere to be found)
          Ashtray assembly (some gorilla snapped off the my ligher housing)
          Drivers side lower kick pannel (same gorilla snapped the old one in two)
          Radio antenna (guess the gorilla made off with it)

The cool part is I got all this stuff for $18. It was half-price day at Pick-n-Pull. They didn't have any later models than 1996, so I didn't pull the sway bars off of any of them. Considering the cars I saw get picked clean while I was there, I figure they'll have some new stuff in the yard within the next week or two. it was a good day nonetheless...although the wife did get on my case for being there for so long! ;D

And to answer Will's question, I'm a Fire Controlman onboard USS Normandy (CG-60). I've been in for 16 years. The last time I served with any DS's was onboard my first ship (USS Bainbridge CGN-25). They ended up turning DS's into either FC's of ET's. Most Computer type DS's went FC, and most Console type DS's went ET.
          Nice job on the score. Need to hit the pull-a-part here pretty soon, as I have a few things to score for my various beaters.

They converted everyone about 6 months after I left, from what I hear. I was a computer type, so I would have been a FC also. My father in law was a FC for 24 years. He actually wrote the school courseware for CIWS.

Comment

Finally got a chance to do some wrenching on the Exploder this past Saturday. Spent around $350 on it too. I had tires installed in the back so it would sit even and took it for a drive so I could have a baseline for the improvements I was getting ready to make. Although it drove better, it still floundered like nobody's business. I installed new shocks all the way around and installed new swaybars I took off of a 2000 Explorer. It was a night and day difference. It felt like I was driving a different car. I also installed a new exhaust system while I was at it. She still needs alot of work, but it least things are going in the right direction. At least the wife can see I'm actually installing the parts I've been scrounging at Pick and Pull these past few weekends! ;D

Comment

Cool, it's fun to actually make changes and notice the improvement. One thing I thought of, if you get around to doing anything with the brakes, Classic Tube makes a braided stainless hose kit that's DOT approved. Includes all five hoses (2 front chassis to caliper, 2 rear axle to caliper, and 1 rear chassis to axle) and the junction/splitter block that's on the rear axle. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Now you need to post some pics
              sigpic

Comment

Will try to get some pics up soon. Just got marching orders from the wife. Seems she's not too crazy about the seats. Looks like that will be my next project. Good thing I just spotted a set on Craigslist... 8)

Comment

I was apprenticed to a guy from Cherk-ey (found out later that was "Cherokee") NC, and he said it was "ALL". So I bought him an icepick. He said with frustration "no, I want the all, not the all". Never did hear the difference. Then he wanted 5 quarts instead of the gallon I brought him, and he told me to bring "all the all". I eventually was able to figure it out the first time from the context.
                  Later
                  Dan

lmao thats funny! I am in central Ohio and some people around here pronounce "Newark" like "nork" or "nerk" and "oil" like "all" or "oral". the farther south you go (into the hills of Ohio) there is a regional accent/dialect that I can barely understand a word they say.

Comment

That's because the people who settled the south of Ohio were mostly West Virginians, the north and east part of Ohio was the New Englanders. ;)

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                    X