CarTrailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I want to put hydraulic tilt on it, but I'm going to wait to find the bits rather then pay $1000 for new (which means I'll spend far more then that making a used system work - but that's my thing so why avoid it?)
    Used snowplow pumps sometimes make a good start to that parts pile.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Used snowplow pumps sometimes make a good start to that parts pile.
      lift gates are far more prevalent around here
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I finally decided how I'm going to deck the trailer.

the short is 2' diamond plate rails with wood in the middle. I like wood for a couple reasons - one, if you have to work on your car on the trailer the trailer isn't solar heated; the other reason is I honestly don't know how many times I've screwed what I'm hauling to the deck as the main attachment method

fixed the jack too

Comment

full deck, or just ramps?
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

trailer didn't get much love because neither the lights nor the steel plate showed up... ah well, got the mudder tires on my welding cart in prep for the day

funny thing is I've had these tires for years.... just no motivation

yes, my welding cart is on blocks, what's it to you?

and voila done

had to move the trailer so took a pic

Comment

this is getting close, but again, FedEx screwed me. It was another driveby - they don't stop, they simply claim that no one was home because there's a cold wind blowing up their skirt and they just can't possible do their job. such a useless company.

anyway, it is getting close

I haven't welded down the plate yet because I think I'll etch then epoxy prime the top .

the center will be wood at the end of the ramp. the ramp is necessary because wood comes in 12, 14,16 and 18 foot .... this is 16' 4".... so a ramp makes it all good

if only I had my fenders..... screw you fedex.

Comment

Wait for the merger... then they'll be FedUPS.... the way we all feel when that happens....
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

nice work indeed - as usual. Are you going to do some sort of underbody rust proofing on this thing? When I was researching trailers, and finally ended up with an aluminum one, I kept considering the extra cost of a "cheap steel" trailer, plus rust proofing / bed liner, etc, and I took the lazy way out and bought aluminum. Hopefully it lasts forever.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    nice work indeed - as usual. Are you going to do some sort of underbody rust proofing on this thing? When I was researching trailers, and finally ended up with an aluminum one, I kept considering the extra cost of a "cheap steel" trailer, plus rust proofing / bed liner, etc, and I took the lazy way out and bought aluminum. Hopefully it lasts forever.
                    aluminum oxidizes....

we don't have salt on our roads, so rust really isn't a big issue

the trailer will be painted top and bottom.

Comment

so the manager of the FedEx facility drove the fenders to my house in his personal vehicle....
                      and this is what they look like in place

I'll finish welding it tonight - but first I need to put anti-rust between the steel deck and the frame... getting close

Comment

fender install

wiring clip install

making the fenders removeable

finished(Ish) it's supposed to thunder/lightning/rain and I don't really want to deal with more surface rust - so it's being put back in the shop

wood in the middle for those days I need to haul press brakes, lathes, etc... also for saving my back when I'm working on whatever is on the trailer

Comment

lookin pretty damned spiffy in my opinion!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            lookin pretty damned spiffy in my opinion!
                            it's funny - McSquatch made a good comment about buying vs. building. Part of the reason I built was because the trailers that are out there from the manufacturers are not as stout. I abuse trailers, I needed stout - but he was right, I have every penny the same as if I bought from a large manufacturer of "just" a car trailer.... that said, to have it built by another would be a lot more then just a standard trailer price and since my labor is free... it saved me money.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              wood in the middle for those days I need to haul press brakes, lathes, etc... also for saving my back when I'm working on whatever is on the trailer
                              I found by chance that leaving an open space in the middle and then having a few boards to slap down now-and-then works really well.

buying vs. building
                              Self-sufficiency Good

Comment

I thought allot about having a "removable center floor" for a number of reasons. I like the idea of the wood for those "non vehicle moves" where you might want to screw down lumber and cribbing to keep things in place.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X