Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a project daily:2013 Mitsubishi Challenger (Montero Sport)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a project daily:2013 Mitsubishi Challenger (Montero Sport)

So after 5 trouble free years of Citroen ownership I decided it was time to change cars.
    Problem was the Citroen was a lease car and the resale on it was alot less than the payout, usual story, which meant the budget was tight.
    I had no plans to buy and SUV, but 2 kids that are growing like weeds and the requirement to carry a big dog when we get another one and a huge Dometic cool box meant my choice was limited.
    My original plan was to buy a Holden Commodore station wagon, specifically the luxury Calais model as it got the 3.6 Alloytec V6 rather than the 3.0, with the remote chance of scoring an LS2 or LS3 powered one. Except they're too small!
    So getting desperate I happened to come across this at the last dealer I wanted to do business with, long story but the owner(s) are scumbags. But a good deal is a good deal and atleast the salesman I dealt with was great, actually everyone I dealt with in this deal was good.
    So what we're looking at is a 2013, 2014 model year, Mitsubishi Challenger LS. Being it's an LS it's got all the goodies, electric leather seats, auto climate control, power locks/mirrors/windows, rear camera, auto lights and wipers, navigation and factory rear locker. It's got Mitsubishi's ancient 2.5 4D56 turbo intercooled diesel, in this form with a twin cam 16 valve head, VNT turbo and common rail injection, with a 5 speed auto, with flappy paddles, and Mitsubishi's excellent super select 4wd. Which is similar to the Jeep select-trac. Front end is independent with struts and the rear is live axle with 3 link and coils.
    This car also had alot of goodies which is why I jumped at it, up front a TJM steel bullbar and a TJM 9500lb winch with synthetic rope, and at the back it's got the factory tow package. Underneath things get REALLY good with a custom Ultimate suspension 2" lift and rear airbags for load assistance. The suspension is custom because the previous owner actually took the car to Sydney and the Ultimate factory for them to weigh the car and work out the best suspension setup for him, which means it's now pretty firm as the rear springs are the heaviest available. They're rated at 700lbs constant load.
    So far the only thing I've done is wire up and fit the 2 pairs of Hella Rallye 1000 lights. But I've got a list of things I want to do to it.

Looks like a pretty nice family hauler. The first upgrade I would do would be to move the steering wheel to the proper side (left) of the vehicle.

Comment

But then I'd have to have someone with me when I go through the drive through McDonalds.

Comment

nice, You know, it's trips to McDonalds that cause the need for a larger SUV .... just sayin'
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ah, yeah, about that.
          At least hauling my butt into this thing is good incentive to avoid eating that junk, those steps are pretty much cosmetic only. With any luck come tax return time I'll get some proper step rails, which will actually protect the body from damage and also be useable as steps. I also need get a snorkel, some proper lights, some proper tyres and get the front doors tinted. Then it's cargo barrier and rear storage system time. Oh and I REALLY need to look at the lack of power, factory warranty runs out at the end of the year so I'll do a tune/exhaust then, and maybe uprated intercooler. Currently waiting for a couple of eletricky wizards to finish a box of magic so the transmission, and specifically the torque convertor, can actually work properly.
          Then I can look at getting a real project to play with.

Comment

I love having a daily and a toy (or two).... I still do not look fondly back to the day when I was working at 5 am trying to finish up something I'd broken the day before so I could be at work at 7 am. Fortunately, my boss thought I was was drinking all night - if only he knew
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 16, 2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

You know how I said this wasn't a project? Yeah well, it's had some things done on it. First of all, new tyres, the tyres that were on it had plenty of tread, but were date coded 2013 so were about as hard as concrete. After abit of research I grabbed a set of Yokohama Geolander G015, in stock size because don't need bigger meats on the daily.

Much better, although a touch noisier.
              Finally got around to taking it up in the mountains around Canberra, summit of Mt Cooree in the Brindabella rangers, lovely area.
              Image may contain: people standing, mountain, sky, car, outdoor and nature
              Yes that is snow, was nice and slushy. The climb to the summit was fairly steep and covered in loose rocks and mud, low first with the rear locker on and it just walked up.

Grabbed an EGR blockoff to stop the thing clogging the intake manifold, fitted it the other week. And found one of the intercooler hoses was begining to fail.
              So decided to fix it properly:
              No automatic alt text available.
              Rather than pay AUD$190 for 1 OE hose, I bought this lovely alloy/silicon hardline kit. Bought last Saturday evening, shipped Sunday, arrived Tuesday, Australian time.
              Amazing service from an Australian company, sadly we don't have the best luck with aussie suppliers.
              Gave them a wash to get rid of the alloy dust and anything else that might be lurking in them:
              No automatic alt text available.
              Don't worry, didn't use SWMBO's dishwasher, just took the photo to stir her up. As you can tell, I lived :D
              And fitted:

Only issue was the pipe off the intercooler had to be routed inside the bumper reinforcement channel, which for some reason is still fitted despite the bullbar. The power cables for the winch also happens to run through the same spot so it was tight.
              Tip for those fitting similar kits, use dishwashing liquid to lube them, makes sliding the pipes into the silicone hose alot easier.

Comment

windshield cleaner is my go-to stuff when needing things to slip together...
                nice fit.... I need to get to deleting the EGR and DEF off my Colorado - they don't check and I don't need the extra crap onboard

Comment

Thankfully I don't have DEFor DPF on this, although I did on the Citroen but never had any issues with that. I never bothered with deleteing any of the stuff on the Citroen, partly because no one here would want to touch it and partly because it simply doesn't give trouble. EGR failures are well known on these things though.

Comment

More stuff done to make this nicer to live with. When I got it I didn't get the dealer to do the tint, and regretted it. Finally got the front doors tinted with the good ceramic tint, makes a massive difference to the point I can feel more heat through the OE privacy glass than the, lighter, tint on the front.

Also fitted an LED lightbar, a cheap one though,

Decided the OE backup lights are beyond useless, even with the camera, so first I swapped an incan globe for an LED with little gain. Then I fitted one of the LED pods I got with the LED lightbar:

Mounted on the rear bumper support behind the tow hitch, it's actually about 10" infront of the hitch at the same height. Worked well except it's a spot pattern.
                    So I swapped it for a proper LED flood light in the same spot.
                    Image may contain: night
                    Much better,

Actually works very well and doesn't blind anyone since it's completely hidden by the hitch when viewed from behind. The pod/cube lights will be added to the bullbar in the near future.

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
                      X