Daily Diesel Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Diesel Colorado

So the Hummer went away, sadness ensued, but then a new truck arrived. As we all know, it's never good enough - so here we go.... I have plans, they're multiplying but currently I'm continuing to talk myself out of lifting it..... anyway, first mod.
    Stereo

the truck

the motor (remarkably small, but no need to compensate and it's more the adequate for the task)

under the seat is a nifty storage space - but not terribly useful

a woofer is checking out the subwoofer

why GM left those bits laying there? dunno

first step is run the wires through the firewall - it is LOTS easier to cut the recommended hole from the inside then use welding rod to push through to the engine compartment then tape and pull back the power wires

set so you can plug the wires in...

the way I ran the inside wiring. I ran the front first, then moved to the back and worked my way forward - the reason is that is where you can easily hide extra wire

I ran the wire through the existing hole and under the carpet

and now in place

so here it is the last connections

The plug that has the wires is the GREY AND BLACK as the instructions say.... some others had issue with which plug. it also goes easier if you pop the plug off the side panel and (after you carefully cut the cloth tape off) twist the wires to expose them.... it did take awhile to find the correct wires (for me, the hardest was finding the light blue/brown stripe - since there is a brown with light blue stripe in that same harness)

wires found and tapped - as an aside, the bag the wires came in had a hole in the bottom, so finding those taps was a bit of a challenge.... be careful when you're unboxing as stuff can fall out because it's not bagged properly.

these are fun - pull up on the front (they pop up) then pull forward is the trick

The front.... if you look closely, you'll see a line in the plastic part in front of the door. Lift there and pop the kick panel in then gently pull up from the bend forward
    ​​​​​​​

It comes out fairly easily so if you're really forcing, take a step back and reconsider - the hardest bit to get off with the side panel - that just takes patience and gentle force
    the side panel

Installed with all the plastics back in place

It does sound a lot better - before it didn't sound like there were speakers behind the seat.... wish I'd sprung for the amp as well, trying to get it but I've not found it outside the package.... ah well, I was thinking of upgrading speakers so this might be a good thing
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

And so it begins.......
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

NEVERIMGUNNALEAVEITSTOCKANDNOTCHANGEANYTHINGORVOID ANYWARRANTY

and if you believe that, I've some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I think a review is in order.

I really like this truck, a lot. So after a month of ownership, 2200 miles, a bit of an upgrade with more on its way - here is the review.

If you're one of those people who need a bed to haul icky stuff occasionally. This truck is for you. If you don't care what the badge is on the outside, again, this truck is for you. If getting 25 mph reliably is something you want.... oh yeah, this truck is for you. If you want a truck that will occasionally haul way more then it should, this truck is for you. On the other hand, if you have multiples of overload tickets (bob), this isn't for you. If you want a truck to turn up to 11, not this truck, people have and scattered them. If you're looking for the next king-of-the-hammers - keep looking. However, if you want to haul your buggy to KOH, this truck is for you.

I like the size of this truck. I don't like that I can no longer see the front corner - which will inform why I just bought a cattle-guard style winch bumper. The backup camera makes this far easier to back into a spot then drive into. Overall, from the driver's seat you can see pretty well and other then the corners being further out then expected - you'll get used to it.

Ride - why all the manufacturers have solid foam seats in 'small' cars is something I'll never understand. The seats are conforming but they're resisting change. The seat heaters are nice, but why they don't retain their setting (if it's on, I want it on when I start the truck up again) is beyond my pay grade to understand. There is plenty of room inside, even in the back seat... other then that, it rides firm. Not harsh, not soft, firm.

I get 25-30 mpg. I have yet to go through the 1st 5 gallons of DEF, and what I've read I'll probably have to add at the recommended 7500 mile oil change. Service, these do have rubber timing belts that have a 150,000 mile service life. To be honest, I think it's an amazing idea that GM did that and for this reason. Water pumps don't last forever, and overheating is what kills diesels more then anything else.... by forcing a timing belt change at about the moment where you should replace the water pump is a good idea. Given the space in this engine compartment - it shouldn't be a terrible task.

Transmission. In the diesel, it's a 6 speed because the 8 speed isn't strong enough - this thing has only 185hp but 370 lb torque. Now about hauling, it could use a larger turbo - while I get stupid people buy trucks too so GM has to account for them, my wish is a larger turbo and pyrometer (which, for some reason, isn't included in the purchase price - but is, apparently, already monitored). The 6 speed has enough gears but when you're decelerating below 30 mph it downshifts. Which is a bit surprising. To be honest, I now kind of rely on it - but if you don't expect it and it's slippery (and you're in 2 wd)... life gets entertaining (turn the knob to awd). The transfer case does have 2wd, AWD, 4wd (meaning locked), and 4Lo.

Fun bits. It has a jake brake. That silly thing still makes me chuckle.

So here's the deal. You want something that you can live with every day and gets amazing mileage, buy it. If you need a full size, this isn't a full size. It'll punch above its weight for awhile, but eventually something bigger then it should be hauling will punch back.

Comment

Hey.. I never got caught overloaded! (knock wood)
              Gravel today was 7400#...
              Done for the year! 40,440#. At 7300 smallest to 8600 largest. About 2 yards per load..

But I sure can use a daily driver crew cab that gets better than the dualie crew I drive at 9 mpg..
              This sounds like something I'dda get a kick out of...

If I win the lottery....
              First gotta start playing said lottery...

Comment

my 1500 hauls 1 ton just fine...sorta.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

my colorado hauled a 1/2 ton just fine today.... pictures later.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Hey.. I never got caught overloaded! (knock wood)
                    Gravel today was 7400#...
                    Done for the year! 40,440#. At 7300 smallest to 8600 largest. About 2 yards per load..

But I sure can use a daily driver crew cab that gets better than the dualie crew I drive at 9 mpg..
                    This sounds like something I'dda get a kick out of...

If I win the lottery....
                    First gotta start playing said lottery...
                    Yeah, That!!, the lottery part
                    Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                    Gregg and Deb Miller
                    Verona, Wi.

Comment

and there it is... motor for the latest Suburban.

Comment

and still working on the Kicker stereo.... it doesn't have the output I think it should - so checking everything
                        that green light means it works... but not

Comment

the turbo

these are rated at 185 from the factory - interestingly, this one is 176 to the wheels... GM is sandbagging
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 21, 2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

So a few updates.
                            1) the screws that hold the plastic down under the seat - do not tighten those more then snug. The bolts are in nutserts and those fittings are not tight.... means you won't get them out again.
                            2) if you have a problem with the amp, you will have to take all of the wiring back out to send it back to the retailer. Unlike most companies, Kicker goes through them...
                            3) yeah, you guessed it - the amp doesn't work - so it has minimal sound from the speaker....

and yes, this is a bit annoying.... especially since the retailer is in Florida and I'm in Seattle....
                            and. I've discussed with the retailer and Kicker about all of this and they seem fine with full disclosure, so there it is. My favorite line, ever, did just come from the retailer (and it may be why I'm posting) "we never see that" ... hmmm.

Comment

I see Chevy hasn't changed since the last time I owned one. You might look for an 8 foot bed, room for the lumber and the five gallon bucket to hold body bolts and interior trim screws...

HA!

You just thought I was sleeping.

I'm just messing with you, except I'll take the 5 ft lbs and 140 extra horsepower from a smaller (2.7) gasoline engine and leave the cow pee for the real truckers. Hee hee.

Oh.. okay, I'll be nice. It's still pretty.
                              Last edited by Beagle; March 22, 2018, 01:31 PM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X