X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim , you've been working overtime ! Well done

Comment

From the HAMB:

"The replacement rear window is 1/8" Lexan polycarbonate, it's formed to the correct shape, but it's for a race car, so it's designed to be riveted in place. I got it from GlassTek, who also made the doors, trunk lid, etc. I'll use the rubber gasket, which will require trimming the window about 5/8 of an inch all the way around, and also I'm going to have to add some filler to make it fit in the wide slot in the gasket. I have some sticky rubber tape, an inch wide, 1/16" thick that I ordered just for this. We'll see how it goes."

I wonder if the urethane trick I used with the Mustang windows might help fill the gap. I used the approach mainly to make sure the glass was sealed but I noticed that the front glass was loose in the gasket after install an that the urethane really locked it in. We used bedding compound in the gasket to body joint and installed the glass with the gasket to glass joint dry. Here is the video in the urethane install:

Page 47 of the mustang thread where I posted the install videos I found:

Sometime in 1966 my dad ordered a 66 Mustang GT. This was his first brand new car. The first pictures that we have of the car are from 1967, where we can see

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I expect urethane would work, but I won't use it on an old car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          I expect urethane would work, but I won't use it on an old car.
          I totally get the period correct vibe you are going for and I love it. I'm curious how the urethane (in this application) differs from the panel bond you used on the doors? I wouldn't know that the any urethane was used on the Mustang had I not put it there myself.
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I don't expect anyone to ever have to take the door shells apart. But glass (and it's plastic replacement) needs to be replaced....

The glass in the older cars was installed without adhesives, I like to keep it that way.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Are you using seat belts instead of regulators on the side glass? Old Sox and Martin trick. Use older aviation belts. I actually think the factory SS Hemi cars came that way.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

there were no factory Hemi SS cars, were there? they were built by another outfit

I'll probably use straps, but not seat belts, they're kind of big and heavy and bulky. only needs 1" strap at most. The regulators are really heavy...but they do keep the windows from tilting, so I need to figure out another way to fix that issue, I have ideas, but it will take more time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	doors11.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	1211491

My fabulous web page

Comment

Factory FUNDED SS cars.... fixed?
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

something like that
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• You don't sleep do you ?

Comment

• If you use straps try velcro to hold the.window up

Nick

Comment

• how about a leather strap, with a hook on the head liner to hold them up, that sounds period correctish
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Yeah , as good an idea velcro is , they didn't have that in the 60- early 70's .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Velcro was invented in the 50s. but I probably won't use it on the door straps.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• would these work? Lightweight and infinitely adjustable....
                                Rothco 54 inch military web belts - 4170. This rothco military web belts-54 inch features 100% cotton canvas material, gold colored brass buckle, with gold colored tip. Available in olive drab, black, white, navy and government khaki, silver colored buckl
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X