Red Rocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Rocket

Been in the tech section for a while with this car but I figured I'd do a project forum with it. So the red rocket is a 1971 lemans. Painted like a chevelle red with black stripes. Looks going down the road and I'll leave it at that. This is my first gig so I'm trying to keep things somewhat simple but I want something that sets this car apart at the shows. a badass old school muscle car with some touches from a brokeass millenial. I'm 23 so watching car movies like bullitt, smokey and the bandit, jack reacher gave the legends an aurora to me. even though none of these movies have a Pontiac Found this car in good shape on the other side of town, barely ran and has a bunch of stupid little things I'm getting at.
    Some of the mods that I've done so far are rebuild the 2bbl (before you say it just wait cause I know)
    Install a rebuilt hei out of a 76 gp.
    Msd wires with Delco plugs.
    Install new manifold gaskets. (Old ones were rotted almost all the way gone)
    Install right stuff disc brake kit up front. The whole shabang (booster, cylinder, lines front to back, calipers etc
    Hotchkis tvs suspension (front is done and finally payed for after 6 months so hopefully the back will get done soon.
    There's more but on to the good stuff
    Engine:
    72 Pontiac 400 4.25 stroke with 4.155 bore. .035 over with Ross racing pistons, forged butler rotating assy (scat) stroker crank. This will be 12-14 to 1 compression. E85 only. I'm using a stock intake and manifold with a ruggles rebuild kit. #62 1969 gto heads with isky custom cam with 517in and 510ex lift. 240 at 050. So far everything has been pretty fun other than paying for stuff. Spend more time piecing this thing together and researching than actually working on the damn thing. Anyhow, I'll add more later. Anyone who wants to offer advice or take advice is more than welcome to talk to me. It is tough for my generation to tear into mechanical stuff like this. It is just like swimming in Lake Huron though. Jump in and it's not too bad

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
      I'm 23 so watching car movies like... smokey and the bandit...... gave the legends an aurora to me. even though none of these movies have a Pontiac

smokey and the bandit didnt have a pontiac in it!?!?!?!!!
      huh. i coulda sworn..... oh well. must be getting loopy in
      my old age i guess....

Comment

Cool car, will be watching for updates!
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

smokey and the bandit didnt have a pontiac in it!?!?!?!!!
          huh. i coulda sworn..... oh well. must be getting loopy in
          my old age i guess....
          Hmmm... Got me athinkin. Went out and looked.. Yup my 78 Trans Ams say "PONTIAC" inside.
          Wonder if he thought ole Bandit drove a Camaro? Didn't Buford convertableize a Poncho?

Comment

You all be nice maybe he ment there was not a 71 Lemans in the movie.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm not retarded I swear. Just slow like my car. And yes I meant lemans cause it's really a soccer mom car if you look at who was driving them off the lot in those days. I have one of the brochure books that advertise them and it's funny how things change hah. I'm looking at a rear end tomorrow so hopefully that will be another step in the right direction

Comment

then again I can't say I've ever seen a GTO in a muscle car movie other than dazed and confused. If there was a Pontiac in the movies I would imagine that the 1st gen bird or a 1st or 2nd gen GTO would play the star not the 3rd gen after all the emissions and stuff. maybe it just had to do with the big 400. I don't think Chevys had one that big in the camaros or even passenger cars at that point for that matter.

Comment

French Connection- The big chase under the "L" Popeye Doyle is dtiving a Lemans . Its 4 dor version
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That's great. The 4 door is reppin the lemans crew. I hope it was a 400 at least

Comment

getting the cam kit ordered this week so this short block is going get put together. Also looking at getting a set of used hookers for this 461.I am quite excited

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
                        then again I can't say I've ever seen a GTO in a muscle car movie other than dazed and confused. If there was a Pontiac in the movies I would imagine that the 1st gen bird or a 1st or 2nd gen GTO would play the star not the 3rd gen after all the emissions and stuff. maybe it just had to do with the big 400. I don't think Chevys had one that big in the camaros or even passenger cars at that point for that matter.
                        There was a GTO in 2 Lane Blacktop driven by Warren Oates character...

Comment

'69 Pontiac in "The Punisher"
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I never knew the punisher had a 69 in it. Badass car, shame that it gets destroyed

Comment

dunno if i posted new carpet but yea got some new threads and deadener for them floor boards.ill take pics if anyone is interested or needs a sample picture for their own ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X