X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where did you get the tuck brackets?

wonder if they would fit my 75 grand am
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
      where did you get the tuck brackets?

wonder if they would fit my 75 grand am
      No doubt as they share simular shock-brackets..
      I drill and collapse mine then weld them.. Get 2-3" that way.
      Might have side of frame brackets, but I kinda doubt it as grand am and chevelle are same platform..
      STILL...I'd check first

Comment

We like the tubing to reinforce our frames..
        To drill, put a spray paint cap on your bit, keep it close so when the oil spurts, it goes in the cap, not your eye..

Comment

Those wheels/tires, the bumper trick and lowering job make that car look seriously bad-ass, I love it. Up 'til now the Johnny Hunkins Laguna had been my favorite build of one of those...I do believe I'm liking yours as much or better. You know, those really seemed like barges to me once but look at it next to the new Challenger. It looks kinda small...

'Way back in the late-eighties I re-did my m.i.l.'s '73 SS El Camino and used those 'Vette wheels, it was a great improvement but the stock-car look only w/ 17's is a more improvement. I wondered about bringing the bumpers in or maybe gutting them to get the "polar moment of inertia" down a little for sprightlier handling but it's not like that bothered her any so I left it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            We like the tubing to reinforce our frames..
            To drill, put a spray paint cap on your bit, keep it close so when the oil spurts, it goes in the cap, not your eye..

sweet mainly want to do the rear the front looks fine on the GAs do tot he nose piece going around the bumper. i like your idea though
            Last edited by Mater; August 10, 2017, 04:45 PM.
            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Mater- They came from member tropdeprojet on the g3gm forum. I think he is making rear brackets know but I just drilled the shocks and set the bumper where I wanted and then ran a bolt thru it. Quick, easy and cheap.

Loren- Wow, thank you for the compliment. I got tired of buying a car and building it back to what it looked like when it was new. Worrying about the proper fastner, the right knob or screw or proper placement of a decal was no fun for me anymore. So I took a mundane car and drew cues from a few builds and nascar from the 70's and am having fun with it. I really enjoy having the only one when I go to cruise in's and other events. I'm sure one day we will see more and more pop up but for now it's cool.
              Visit my sons blog:
              www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Damon, one day I'll get me one of these.. A buddy had a poop brown one that had a 305/4 speed.. It was a coast car or I'd have bought it..
                Have other projects I need to finish first!

Comment

I think they'll hit their stride eventually once people see the value and uniqueness of them. Parts are tough to find but that too will only be a matter of time.
                  Visit my sons blog:

Comment

I like what Arlid did to his rear side windows.. Unique.. But I like to look out, driving a sedan delivery is hard enough to look out of...

Comment

I'm really liking your build, also! I'm looking for a 1976 Malibu classic wagon for my next project. Bought one new back in the day, and have been in the dog house ever since I sold it. Really like the corvette wheels, but the black ones are cool, too. As was said before, it's your build, do it your way!
                      Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                      Gregg and Deb Miller
                      Verona, Wi.

Comment

My grandmother had a dark blue 77 for several years. When she wrecked it she told my uncles to find another one. They bought her a white 76 and she rolled that for a longer time. I think they are the perfect size wagons. Thanks for the compliments.
                        Visit my sons blog:

Comment

Daughter's first derby car was a 77 wagon.. Got 2nd her first time out.. Tough car!

Comment

I always wanted to do a Nascar version of 73-75 Chevelle, like the Hawaiian Tropic, Coca Cola, or Daryl Waltrips 17. Most of the mods you made would be on my list too.

I did the same bumper treatment on my 73 Impala, but I made my own brackets without any welding. I never got around to shortening the bumper's sides. See the pic.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The 70's and 80's stuff look so much better without the diving boards hanging off the front and backs. I like that Impala. Honestly I wanted one of those but around here you'd get the wrong type of attention in one.

When I got to Daytona last year for the rod run I saw the new murals they have on outside of the track. It has a shot of a race with what looks like a 74-75 Malibu leading the pack. Seeing that, the bank robber special and seeing on facebook a group dedicated to old nascar cars I got my plan. I'm by no means a nascar fan but I am a car guy and love the cars of back then. The guy on facebook that turned his '75 Laguna into the Hawaiian Tropic car has been a bunch of help too (stole his spoiler idea) and his car is purpose built and he runs the snot out of it. That is what I like to see. I'm not going to put mine as a replica but just have that look.
                              Visit my sons blog:

Comment

I kinda like light blue Chevelles with fat wheels and tires.

Comment

Working...
                                X