No announcement yet.

oh dear i did it again (dream car acquired) '68 Volkswagen type 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 70 that had a dual port 1640, Zentih carb, 010 distributor and a Engle 110 cam. that was a fun car! I had a blast on beating up on small block V8's with a auto trans up to about 60. Lucky bastard!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

oh i am stoked

but need to finish the GA first and by finish i mean moving under it's own power and can at least make a trip to my work and home with out exploding
      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

the 6th i will be going down to get a bunch of the parts and engine to take them to my place and put the shell in storage

also cool bonus the car still has it's original title that was issued to it in 1967. i will be the second registered owner of the car
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

here are some pictures the guy sent

car looks really clean

Click image for larger version

Name:	beetle3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	1169111

Name:	beetle4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1169112

Name:	beetle6.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	1169113

and here is a nifty thing instead of cutting up the car to add a radio back in the late 70's early 80's the original owner got of of these he calls it a "sound bar" it sits behind the rear
          seat

Name:	beetle5.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1169114

you can just smell the 70's from that thing. i am going to see what size the speaker openings are and probably get some new modern ones as i bet though are dry rotted

Comment

but how will you tell how fast you're going without holes in the floorpan?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Probably the functioning speedo which is an oddity I have not experienced in a vw

Comment

well grabbed most of the parts could not get the main body do to uhual being booked out and college move in week

first off in person car is pretty clean and has some nice NOS parts form when the guy was going to put it back together in 84

the car was a BAJA before the guy got it in 73 he decided to turn it back into a standard sedan in 84 and paint it..... the paint is horrible LOL

still has the off road seats and the front and rear are still raised

over all though i am amazed int eh shape it is in and should come togeather real quick

need to figure out where all the body seals go as they are not labeled just says part number and germany

Comment

Revell for big kids! What's wrong with the paint? Cut and buff?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

pealing off the blue paint under the red was not even scuffed up and is glossy

Comment

I had no idea you were Zach Galifianakis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                        pealing off the blue paint under the red was not even scuffed up and is glossy
                        Bummer either be very careful or get out the pressures washer and razer blades
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

i figure i'll see what color it ends up being after the first wash LOL

they also missed some interior areas as well. i think i'll just toss it together with it;s current paint and just blow it a part later when it gets really bad

color is also a very expensive porche color formt he 60's soooooo color match is not going to happe n
                          Last edited by Mater; August 6, 2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

getting closer to coming to the house

Name:	beetle13.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	1173827

Name:	beetle14.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	1173828

the factory 1500cc single port

Name:	beetle15.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	1173829

Comment

yay

Name:	beetle17.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	1174507

Name:	beetle18.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	1174508

Comment

Working...
                              X