No announcement yet.

The Wanderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running boards in some form are staying.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I realize that this isn't the trail rig but oft times we end up in a little more of a serious situation than intended , maybe a rock slider hidden under the bottom edge to keep from bending them up .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• "in some form" is the conditional term you should be focusing on.... well, that and "I will not light another car on fire"....

Comment

• rock sliders it is then...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            My goodness do you all get lit up over a TV show. RR is guy making a buck, more power to him. He hires lots of people and keeps them in paid, and you all are worried about what? Chief won the moment he set the rules of the race because he raced his car that he'd be racing for years. The rules, that's funny, RR posted the email that set the rules up and there was nothing about who was going to drive. Chief won because he had experience, Alex didn't. Chief won because Alex doesn't run 1/8 miles. Chief won because he got in Alex's head. If Chief came to the big world of racing where he was running, for the first time, a car like the Laughlin race car, it would probably be a different outcome.
            BTW... I was just referring to the quote Richard made about the idea that he would burn the challenger to the ground if it didn't win against Big Chief...I do not consider the challenger to be a traditional "muscle car(1964-73 vintage) I was fully expecting Aaron to build and drive the car, but, in his usual form , Richard does his money thing and hires the entire job out...I believe in real car guys that at least put some sweat equity and personal pride into their efforts as those I like to refer to as friends... it is our garage's motto of "built, not bought"...that is where my favor lies...I realize that Jeff Lutz also is a pro fabricator, but , he is friends with Chief, and they run in the same circles... I'm not into the entire Gas Monkey branding thing...
            Last edited by silver_bullet; April 2, 2017, 07:14 AM.
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• As somebody who thrashes mercilessly 48 straight hours sometimes (too often) my kid and I laugh at the tv shows trying to make their deadlines
              Entertaining! I do enjoy the show.. Reality or not, who is really able to say but those doing the thrashing.. Might show an all nighter when in reality it was several all nights to film?

Comment

"in some form" is the conditional term you should be focusing on.... well, that and "I will not light another car on fire"....
                To light a car on fire or not to light a car on fire......that is the question .

These " little " fires with only nine inch flames are hardly able to be considered cars on fire . Now my oldest son's camaro when a fuel line failed while I was driving it with my youngest son and the flames flashed up over the windshield and out under the car to the back bumper .........that was a car on fire .☺ I still can't hardly believe that a city cop showed up in a nik of time with the biggest fire extinguisher I have ever seen and saved the car from burning to the ground . It was down about a year but he rewired the engine compartment. Still has it . He's had that 92 since 2003 . Sorry about the derailment but it just got me thinking .
                Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 3, 2017, 04:51 PM.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Haven't updated for a couple days. Spent most of Sunday dealing with the sewer smell (resolved with use of a excavator), then my internet connection died (and that's a rant for another day). Despite life getting in the way there has been progress

I had to move it outside for the work and so that a friend could get his car on the lift - took pictures... window wouldn't roll up... (argh) it was a 'sunny day' in Seattle, which means it hailed, rained, and blew.

still, I think it looks pretty good with the lift

bought a new glow plug controller - I'm glad I tore the other apart because otherwise I'd have been irritated when this didn't work (more diagnosis will be detailed later, but for now - new part)

started rewiring issues

lifting the truck and taking the seat out made this so much easier to do

note the signal stalk - there will be more work there too - I need to pull the column a bit more apart to get the new cruise wired down the column

the internet is cool, I didn't know that GM had put a hole in the plug so you could put fishing line through it so it could pull down the column.... I love GM stuff - it's almost like they know we'll be working on it

why put a switch when I put a new glow plug controller? the last one was done somewhere around 2000, so that means this one may fail too - why not save myself a headache?

and this was the problem with the windows.... they had put a resetable breaker in place and it didn't reset.... I still need to figure out why they felt the need for it - but for now I replaced it with another one and the window works

Comment

• The truck sure looks great . Nice to know about that resetable breaker . I'll probably have that problem one day when I get one . Didn't know they had them .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• I wholeheartedly agree with Dan...
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

the problem with the windows.... they had put a resetable breaker in place and it didn't reset.... I still need to figure out why they felt the need for it - but for now I replaced it with another one and the window works
                        Maybe if somebody (kids etc.) stayed leaning on the switch with the window all the way up/down and the motor stalled out, it wouldn't keep trying at it and overheat or whatever. Then when the next person came along it would work again. I see breakers used on windshield wipers too, if the motor gets too hot it'll quit but then work again soon without somebody having to mess around with fuses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post

Maybe if somebody (kids etc.) stayed leaning on the switch with the window all the way up/down and the motor stalled out, it wouldn't keep trying at it and overheat or whatever. Then when the next person came along it would work again. I see breakers used on windshield wipers too, if the motor gets too hot it'll quit but then work again soon without somebody having to mess around with fuses.

it's possible, but the motors have a limit switch that stop its movement once it reaches the bottom - for that to happen it would require the switch to fail then some would have to hold the switch down....my working theory is there's a bad ground that's causing a heat issue.... I have to get inside most of the doors to fix the random-power-lock issue so I'll see and report back.

Comment

• Got some AC parts

poor thing, bent and broken

shiny new chinesium

I had to get creative mounting the signals to the grill

rarely use it, but it's so handy when I do

now with 1985 face.... it's funny, I graduated in 1985 and these were my class colors

I don't know what to do with this.... buy rebuilt or use one that seems decent.... if it weren't a chinesium replacement I supposed it'd be an easy decision

everything set in place like it should fit (and the condensor is installed)

this, is a pain to find

wipers back on

tomorrow we find out if Carl survives

Comment

• THE WANDERERS #9
                              MOONSHINE BLUES - PART II
                              By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, Carl had stumbled on a moon­shine operation in North Carolina and they were arrested with the nice folks who ran the still. They were loaded into a large green box van and driven to a nearby town, where they awaited booking and jailing. Emma cried crocodile tears the entire way back, much to the dismay of Carl and his new friends.
                              Stanhope sighed and said, "Shoot, I'm sorry, Carl. They wasn't due to raid us for another three or four weeks. Didn't mean for you nice folks to get your buns busted. Somebody musta forgot to pay off deputy Scumwald. He's supposed to get his two hunnert bucks a week regular as clockwork."
                              Carl spit a glob of chewing tobacco on the wall of the van. "Heck, that's OK, Stanhope. Wasn't your fault. We used to make our own drinking stuff when I was in the Navy. My favorite was Aqua Velva aftershave lotion and orange juice. Kept me occupied when I was out at sea, ya know. Anyways, what happens next?"
                              Stanhope scratched his straggly beard. "Well, they'll book us and bust up the still. Then they'll confiscate all the shine and probably make a tidy profit on it when they sell it to our regu­lar customers. Ya know, we're proud of our brew. It's all natural ... no additives or junk like that. Just straight rotgut."
                              Emma whimpered in the corner. "Will it be the gas chamber or the firing squad, Stanhope?"
                              "Now, pretty lady, don't you worry none. Way I figure it is this. We post bail and maybe pay five hunnert bucks each in fines, then it's business as usual."
                              Emma wailed. " But I'll be a criminal! I'll be branded for life! They'll yank my 4x4 Owners Club license and I won't be able to get my 20 year pin!"
                              Carl looked at the rusty ceiling and sighed.
                              An hour later, the box van stopped and the dangerous prisoners were unloaded and herded into the jailhouse. A very large officer with several chins and a beer gut the size of a juke box motioned for them to have a seat. Huge patches of sweat stained the under­arms of his shirt all the way down to his belt. A basket of 30-weight French fries sat on a pile of reports and a light layer of oil gleamed on the papers.
                              He sat down in front of an ancient Underwood manual typewriter and poked one key at a time with a huge forefinger. Every third word or so, he made a mistake and swore under his breath, as he was forced to correct it with an eraser.

Two hours later, he had all the reports done and herded the men into one cell, and clanked the door shut. He turned to Emma. "M'am, we ain't got no cell for women, so if you'd like, you can just sort of hang around the A&W Root beer stand next door. Or take in a movie. You don't look like the criminal type to me. Just make sure you show up here by tomorrow at nine AM when Judge Pinrod shows up. Okey dokey?"
                              Emma sniffed back the tears. "Can I call my lawyer?"
                              Carl yelled from the cell, "Emma, we ain't got a lawyer. Now go see a movie or something. Better yet, find out where they impounded The Whale and make sure it's OK."
                              Emma shuffled out, head hung low.
                              Carl looked around the cell and took a seat as far away as he could from the three winos sleeping on the floor. Stanhope alrea­dy had a game of cards going with Luke and one of the deputies. Carl slumped down against a wall.
                              Three hours later, Carl was rudely wakened by the huge officer with the huger sweat stains. "Hey, you the guy what owns the big four-wheel-drive truck?"
                              "It's a Suburban, and yes, that's me. Why do you ask?"
                              "Well, seems that we just got a call over the radio. The Judge is stuck out in the woods over by Blister Creek. He went off the road trying to miss some stupid deer and he's stuck bad. Couple of guys tried to get him out and now they're stuck, too. Feel like lending a hand?"
                              "Why should I even think about helping that ... "
                              Ooooof! An elbow to the ribs by Stanhope stopped Carl in mid-sentence. "Sure, Officer Blint. My friend here would be glad to help out his honor. All we gotta do is make a small repair on his radiator first. Fred at the Texaco station can fix it up quick, and then we can get the Judge took care of."
                              Officer Blint grunted. "Good. But I'm going with you clowns, and if anyone makes a break for it, or tries anything funny, I'll shoot you a whole bunch of times and throw you back in jail later on. Got it?"
                              The men gulped. They had it.
                              The trail was rougher than Carl had imagined! A dirt road deteriorated into a miserable dirt road, which in turn degenerat­ed into a sloppy muddy two-track bordering an evil-looking yellow water creek.
                              Officer Blint and Stanhope were wide-eyed as Carl fought the steering wheel and The Whale wallowed from side to side. Officer Blint spat a huge glob of tobacco juice out of the driver's side window and said, "We ain't gonna get stuck, are we? it gets worse further on up. We had us a lot of rain the last two weeks and this is lowlands, ya know."
                              Carl emitted a hearty laugh. "'Officer Blunt, I ... "
                              "That's Blint."
                              "Yeh, that's what I said. Anyway Officer Bonk, this here Suburban has a 454 under the hood, and it ain't even close to being stock. And those 44-inch Gumbo Mudders ain't on the wheels for decoration. I could probably idle straight up the side of a redwood tree if you'd clear the brush off."
                              Stanhope looked a bit green around the edges as The Whale's front end lifted over a rise, then slammed down to the ground.
                              "Are you gonna rip the front end off this thing, Carl?"
                              "Hey, calm down, Stanhood. I got 14 Ranchos up front and 18 of the puppies in the rear. The Whale can take a bump!"
                              Officer Blint pointed a finger straight ahead. "Carl,
                              we got to climb up this steep hill after you go around this here bend coming up. When it's dry, you got a 50/50 chance of making it to the top. when it's wet, well ... if it's just the s

Comment

• same to you, I'll get out and walk up while you take your shot at it""
                                "What! And let me escape! Nope, you just hang on Officer Blimp and ... "
                                "That's Blint!"
                                "Yeh, that's what I said. You got one of those French fries stuck in your ear? Just hold on to the door real good and I'll give you one a those Disneyland E-ticket rides up the hill."
                                Carl saw the hill up ahead, and it was, indeed, a nasty one. He knew that the only way to conquer this hill was to use momen­tum. Muddy slick uphills do not usually offer a great deal of traction.
                                Carl stopped and studied the hill for a few moments, with the engine idling comfortably in neutral. He put The Whale in reverse and backed up as far as he could and lined The Whale up straight and true with the hill.
                                He then smiled an evil smile and said, "Hang on, Officer Blintz . We're goin' hill climbing!!!"
                                Carl clicked the shifter into second gear in four low, and pinned it. The mighty 454 hesitated for a micro-second, then The Whale lunged forward like a Top Fuel dump truck. The tach read 6500 rpm and the Econo-meter blipped red lines and told Carl that he was getting 1.2 miles per gallon at the moment.
                                The Whale charged up the base of the hill and hit the first jump wide open. The engine screamed its guts out as all four wheels cleared the ground, then snapped the heads back on all the occupants as The Whale hit the ground and threw four giant rooster tails.
                                The Whale continued its charge up the hill straight and true. Carl kept the wheels in the ruts and the pedal stayed right on the metal. About 50 yards from the top, The Whale started to bog down in the deep mud and Officer Blint yelled, "We're gonna die!"
                                Carl just smiled and reached over to the dash and flipped a chrome toggle switch. Immediately, the engine barked and emitted a huge roar. "Nitrous oxide, Officer Blump. Kicks in another 250 horsepower or so."
                                Stanhope clawed his fingers into the seat back and started singing Rock Of Ages at the top of his voice, and Officer Blint merely closed his eyes while his sweat stain doubled in size.
                                Amazingly, The Whale clawed over the top cleanly and sailed 30 feet past the crest, landing neatly on the downslope.
                                Stanhope stopped singing and clapped Carl on the back. Officer Blint let out a mighty breath of air, that smelled like a MacDon­alds counter.
                                Ten minutes later, they came upon the carnage of the Judge stuck off the side of the road and two other trucks buried to the cross-members.
                                Carl got out and took charge. "Which one a you guys is the Judge?"
                                "I am. Judge Pinrod at your service. And I thank you for coming to our rescue."
                                "Well, listen up, Judge Pinhead ... "
                                "That's Pinrod, sir."
                                "That's what I said. Anyways, you get in that truck of yours and point the wheels up toward the road, I'll get the winch out. Don't fire it up until I tell you. And when I do tell you, I want you to pin it. I hope you got a V8 under the hood of that Dodge."
                                "Nope. It's a six. But it's a good one."
                                "Judge Pinwheel, there ain't no such thing as a good six. Whatever. When I give you the signal, floor it."

Carl strung out the winch cable and hooked it to the front of the Dodge truck, then gave the signal. The engine roared and the winch whined ... and the bumper of the Dodge ripped off and flew over the trees, out of sight.
                                Carl grunted. "Maybe I should have hooked it to the frame instead. Let's give it another shot. And this time, pay atten­tion."
                                Stanhope looked up at the sky and moaned quietly.
                                Carl rooted around underneath the Dodge and hooked the winch around a frame rail, then got the winch taut. He nailed the winch lever and gave the Judge the signal. The winch whined and strained, but started pulling the buried truck out of the goo.
                                Judge Pinrod screamed the throttle and the Dodge shuddered and shook, and eventually rose free from the mud. Two minutes later, the Dodge was up on level ground again, blowing steam like a 200 year old train.
                                Ten more minutes of work had the other two trucks free, and hearty smiles were exchanged by all.
                                An hour and a half later, they were back at the jail and the Judge decided to hold the hearing right there on the spot.
                                "I find the defendants sort of guilty, but because of their willingness to help a neighbor in need, the charges are official­ly dropped. Now, if'n y'all will join me down at the Rusty Nail Bar and Grill and Bar, I'm buying drinks for the house."
                                Carl beamed and Emma beamed even more. "Oh, Carl! We're not criminals. In fact, we're heroes! I'm so proud of you!"
                                For the first time in his life, Carl blushed. "Hey, don't thank me, honey pot. Thank Judge Pinhead, here."
                                "That's Pinrod."
                                "Yeah, that's what I said. Now let's go have us a couple or three beers."

Comment

Working...
                                X