No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOG I'm going to assume that means fog lights, which undoubtedly will be some ludicrously bright LED set up, it's simply stunning to me how bright even cheap LEDs are.
    Can't wait to hear this thing run. What made you choose that gauge set? Not familiar with those, look forward to seeing them illuminated.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• it will have some kind of racing light, and that switch controls it

I like the look of them and they're reasonable price/quality.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• soon it will be time to get the front dialed in

Comment

• and

all this modern suspension is really making me consider something both turbo and fuel injected instead of the knuckle-dragging 427... and no, not changing now but we will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            Trade that crank and block for an LS motor...you could go old school with a distributor and carb, and get as much power as a big block in a lighter, love to wind package... available from 292 to 454 plus cubes...
            I knew that I had mentioned it before..... you just made certain that you had enough engine room....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

I knew that I had mentioned it before..... you just made certain that you had enough engine room....
              and I still like BBC torque. not to mention the sound.... no LS motor on earth sounds better then a solid-cam BBC. It continues to be the biggest reason why not. Though, it'd be easier to go LS from BBC then SBC because the LS and BBC have even spaced exhaust ports.

Comment

• I agree on the exhaust note and bottom end torque... I was just commenting on your previous post...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• more likely I'll just put efi on this motor....

Comment

• brief update.... in everything else, I'm making small steps towards starting the motor - in this case, wiring the gauges

Comment

• look what arrived

the whole point of this is how dimensionally close it is to a design that is 40 years older.... at least the lower arm, the upper arm is quite a bit different

Comment

• for those curious how the C3 arm compares with the C5.... they're remarkably similar

Comment

• I'm going to start this thing. I know it's kind of silly to do it but I want to hear it and I do have a concern about the deck finish and the cometic gaskets.... you know that story about 'it should be fine'? yeah... I want it to run in unfinished form so when I pull it down to the frame to make it pretty, I won't be revisiting this (and still I plan to drive this for the 2019 Colby Cruise....)

In that vein, spaghetti... errr... wiring

I tried these butt connectors out - I dunno if I recommend them or not (longevity is unknown) but I do like how simple it is to put to wires together with just heat and no crimping

the gauges light up.... I really only care about oil pressure at the moment - but they all work .... O2 sensor and fuel on the top, oil pressure, temp and volts on the bottom. Yes, it's still carb'd but tuning is so much easier with a wide band O2 sensor on the dash....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I tried these butt connectors out - I dunno if I recommend them or not (longevity is unknown) but I do like how simple it is to put to wires together with just heat and no crimping
                            I've been considering using those for my harness rework on the truck LS swap. They sure look slick. What are your impressions - longevity aside?
                            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                            79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• instant opinion:
                              they work pretty well
                              they even work with different wire sizes
                              do not use an open flame but use heat gun

concerns to watch

they stay soft a lot longer then a typical shrink wrap
                              they take more heat time then shrink wrap - when heat is applied they start shrinking almost immediately, but they need to get shiney to actually work. what's interesting from that is they take a lot of heat without burning.... to the point that you can catch the wire on fire and that's only slightly warmer then they need to be heated.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                instant opinion:
                                they work pretty well
                                they even work with different wire sizes
                                do not use an open flame but use heat gun

concerns to watch

they stay soft a lot longer then a typical shrink wrap
                                they take more heat time then shrink wrap - when heat is applied they start shrinking almost immediately, but they need to get shiney to actually work. what's interesting from that is they take a lot of heat without burning.... to the point that you can catch the wire on fire and that's only slightly warmer then they need to be heated.
                                Thanks for the detailed review! I think I'll give them a shot.
                                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                                79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X