Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    I'm going to be a bit annoyed if I have to pull the sidepipes off to fix that lower corner...

being truly fat and lazy, i would attempt to smear body filler in there
    with a putty knife, then wrap the same putty knife or a paint stir stick
    with sandpaper to reach in there and hopefully not have to drop that
    thundercannon to get at it.........

just me though. im dedicated to the disease.

Hush, that's exactly how I'm going to fix it.... notice the use of the conditional verb "going to be" along with the conjunction "if"

it's like this classic "I'd never dream of doing that"

Right, because you did it so you don't have to just dream about it.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• so after a bunch of phone time, research, this is what I'm using to adhere the flares... I should say, this is the first step of adhering. The next step will then fiberglass behind the seams and fiberglass in the places where I got it a bit wide....

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 17, 2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        so after a bunch of phone time, research, this is what I'm using to adhere the flares... I should say, this is the first step of adhering. The next step will then fiberglass behind the seams and fiberglass in the places where I got it a bit wide....

be sure to have LOTS of acetone around so that you can clean off
        tools, your skin, clothes, the cat, everything else in the garage you werent
        trying to glue, etc...

i havent used that particular compound, but some stuff called 'vette-bond'
        that worked great, i assume the 3M stuff is very similar.

are you going to bond the scoop down too or do the ghette 'speed screw &
        washers' route like i did? never did take em out, looks kinda butch but hey
        it works with the personality of the car and the owner/operator, hah hah....

Comment

• This isn't vette bond - that's 3m 8279, 3m 8219. I also didn't use 3m 8116 or other (e.g. evercoat) manufacturer's product.

I didn't use 8219 because it cures harder then the fiberglass, 8219 is the fast-cure version (35 minutes). With that said, 8219/8279 are fiberglass/fiberglass bond. 8115 also bonds to metal. 8116 is the fast cure version of 8115. It was designed for production line work for GM. There is a claim that it's not as strong, but, any damage that would make it break would destroy the panel as well so my opinion is it's kind of moot.

Evercoat vette bond is what a friend is using on his car, it's been discontinued - that said, I'm using Evercoat panel adhesive (which is not the same as Evercoat panel bond) as a filler once I get the first layers of fiberglass in place along with creating my own bonding strips for all the points where the panel is butt-jointed.

screwing.... I don't know yet - I have the clecos, and if you dip them in wax, they won't stick to the glue... of course, you've now just introduced wax into a bare panel - so that will have to be dealt with... there will be a bunch of hole filling so my current thought is wax clecos, then when it's dry, countersink the hole to clean the wax out and give a good bond when I fiberglass the hole closed.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 18, 2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Hush, that's exactly how I'm going to fix it.... .
            "hush"?!?!! HUSH!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ohnoyoudidnt.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1187121

Comment

• deal with it

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	escalation.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1187146

Comment

• and withered and died just like that.... Click image for larger version

Name:	yep-that-just.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1187153
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• You guys make my day... Got me laughing and hurting...

Comment

• So, now that's all settled

hood work

it's almost a shame to cut this apart because it's a 74 L82, 454 hood

nope, doesn't even slow me down

one thing I didn't know, the motor isn't perfectly centered

oops?

if anyone wants to know how much a 3" filter on a dominator intake on a 427 sticks above the hood line... there it is

hole filled

yeah, that's not going to be fun

I like it, though

paint fell off

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	faggothorse.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1187165

Comment

• everyone was.....

Comment

• What is the paint plan on this one? I'd be wanting to go full on bass boat flake if it were mine (but then again, I actually like heavy flake lol)

Comment

• Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post
                              What is the paint plan on this one? I'd be wanting to go full on bass boat flake if it were mine (but then again, I actually like heavy flake lol)
                              i totally agree, *IF* you paint it do something CRAZY and 70's ghetto
                              psychedelic disco like these fine examples....and im 100% serious.
                              these look fabulous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	glittervette02.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1187202Click image for larger version

Name:	glittervette01.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	1187203
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by fatguyzinc; January 19, 2018, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Disco didn't die?? I guess it moved to the Aloha State....
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X