Great Pumpkin Mustang build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    Did you ever consider that zip tie was there for a reason? To keep whatever thing, things, or stuff locked in those containers to save the world from horrible deaths from a horrible government scientific project that went terribly wrong. AND,YOU CUT THAT ZIP TIE OFF!!!
    It's Kentucky, no one cares. Not even the big city smog tests anymore.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• The car is going down for a couple of days. Nothing wrong...in fact, we did some Christmas present shopping today with the car. Much easier to park than either the 300C or her truck. But it's time to prep the floor for Dynamat and the new carpeting. Genuinely excited about getting this taken care of...it'll feel like a real car inside again, console and all.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• The Dynamat was great to work with, even considering the one papercut I got from the aluminum backing. I used two of nine sheets I had and got the footwells and around the shifter. I still have plenty when I'm ready to do the door panels. The carpet has been pretty straightforward, too...I just have to trim up some minor deals and finish cutting out seat belt mount holes and seat bolt pass-throughs and I'll have the interior 90% together. I'm going to leave it out until the engine/trans swap is finished.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• Just noticed the name change .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            Just noticed the name change .
            Needed to be done.

Got 90% of the interior together. The console lid can't be mounted because part of that section has failed, and the A-pillar trim on the driver's side has started to break up. I've also started in earnest in trying to figure out how that MFing roof topper comes off of the car. I've got a couple of good leads and a picture or two from a four-eye Fox forum, but it's looking like the headliner will have to come out for an inspection...or, if that fails to locate mounting points, then I have no choice but to start peeling away the fabric. The car will be looked at this weekend by one more expert to determine just how much of a pain in the ass keeping the roof is going to be.

And yes, the roof will be kept. That is Haley's call, and it's Haley's car. I'm just trying to make the car she loves better.

Comment

• Originally posted by BangShift McT View Post

That is Haley's call, and it's Haley's car. I'm just trying to make the car she loves better.
              No accounting for taste - after all, she married you!

Dan

Comment

• First tank of fuel with the 4.2: 17 MPG in basic street driving with a little bit of Interstate time. Not fantastic, considering I have to cane the shit out of the 255 to make it do anything besides make noise, but once it gets up to speed three minutes after I took off, the engine will sit happily at whatever speed you choose. Front end has a shake that comes in about 70 MPH, thinking it's still the tires at this point. Below that...she cruises nicely. I do need to address window weatherstripping at some point, there's a corner section missing on the driver's side, so at speed it sounds like a mini Boeing 707 is next to my ear.

It's been a while since I drove this car in the rain, got the chance to this morning. Back end glides around as if the car was driving on greased linoleum. Need to address the Carolina Squat situation in the back suspension (coil-over shocks?) and need to bend the driver-side exhaust tubing away from the driveshaft a bit for now.

Comment

• Carolina Squat? If that means a sagging rear, then I suggest simple Air-bags that go in the rear springs. Easy, cheap, effective and easy to install. Adjustable too. Last pair I bought was $80.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• New addition: seat track extenders. Adds legroom, subtracts headroom. Not sure if I like the change yet or not.

Comment

• Now that the Imperial is sporting some kind of pulse, I want to get a jump on planning the build for the Mustang. The Imperial took way too damn long...mostly my fault...and I'm trying to put together a plan for the car's revitalization. Here's what I got so far...feel free to make any additions or voice any thoughts at this time. Except the "more power" thing. This is Haley's car, not mine. She's already scared the shit out of herself once in it.

1. Teardown
                      • Remove front suspension, steering rack, rear suspension, the entire brake system, asthmatic engine, indifferent transmission in one shot.
                      • Cleanup and repaint engine bay to the tops of the insides of the fenders.
                      • Clean and detail the "mystery motor" and transmission from 1994 Mustang.
                      2. Rebuild
                      • Install entire brake system out of 1994 Mustang.
                      • Install steering rack from 1994 Mustang.
                      • Install new MacPherson struts, coils, spindles, and calipers from 1994 Mustang. Install new brake rotors and pads.
                      • Install control arms, rear axle assembly from 1994 Mustang. Modify e-brake cable to work with 1980 system. Install new rotors.
                      • Completely bleed out brakes, verify E-brake functionality
                      • Install the "mystery motor" small-block and transmission. If needed, get new driveline or have one of the two existing drivelines modified.
                      • Verify engine and transmission functionality.
                      • Locate set of five-lug wheels and get new tires on car, alignment, shakedown

Click image for larger version

Name:	46479645_10161035078935184_6264947298640330752_n.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1221790

Comment

• borrow or buy a scope and take a peak into the cylinders.....
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• My scope is a HF special and works OK. The only thing I wish it had was a way to record the inspection on a DVD or smart phone or some other media. I went cheap and I think they have one for a little more $$ that allows that. I'd be happy to lend you mine but I think the shipping would be more than the cost of you buying one.

Dan

Comment

• Did that transmission come out of the 94 Mustang? If it did, it is an AODE, and it was controlled by the Mustang's ECM. There stand alone boxes to control those, but they can be $$$.Like this: https://www.usshift.com/usq2.shtml

I would put in an AOD with a shift kit if you are going carb.

Comment

• Originally posted by pats91 View Post
                              Did that transmission come out of the 94 Mustang? If it did, it is an AODE, and it was controlled by the Mustang's ECM. There stand alone boxes to control those, but they can be $$$.Like this: https://www.usshift.com/usq2.shtml

I would put in an AOD with a shift kit if you are going carb.
                              If that thing is an AODE, I'll be stunned. This isn't a factory kit...this is some random small-block and what I'm 90% sure is a C6 automatic that was being stuffed into a V6 Mustang. I've got a 4R70W that will get a TCM if I decide to go that route in the garage.

Comment

• Small block C6 are pretty rare. The C6 is HUGE in comparison to C4 and has an integrated bell housing (at least those I've seen do) C4 has a removable bellhousing.

Most AOD have "64" cast into the top of the bell housing area, and the bell housing is integrated.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X