350 Vega project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackZ View Post
    ......... I need to try and figure out how to stiffen up the front end also, the steering shaft sometimes hits the header and I have a feeling it's going to do it more often now.........

1x1 box tubing and a pack of corner gussets, some spare solid1/2 rod, and too much
    time on my hands.....this is before we finished it, but you get the general idea.
    and wow did it help with the front end stiffness !

Click image for larger version

Name:	enginebrace.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1176799

Comment

That is something I think I would like to try, it looks like you made it a bolt on?

Comment

One of the best additions to strengthen that big hole where the motor sits and improve steering response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver_Side_No_Filter.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	1176828

Comment

Originally posted by blackZ View Post
          That is something I think I would like to try, it looks like you made it a bolt on?
          initially to locate it those plates at the firewall lip bolted together through
          the lip sandwiching it in place. once we got the crossbar welded
          to the plates we them welded the plates down too.

the front downtubes and fenderwell braces were welded with 1/8 3x3
          steel plates on the backside to help stop 'tear through'.

you could tell the difference just jacking the car up and opening the doors,
          or putting it on jackstands--no more sagging ! made more of a difference
          than the weld in frame connectors if you ask me.

Comment

I have the rear end back out so I can weld on the brackets for the calipers and start cleaning everything up so I can paint it.

Comment

Comment

Finally getting around to making brackets for the calipers today.

Comment

Comment

Comment

• That aught to work!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I hope so!
                        the rotors didn't push the wheels out to far, I think I can work with this.

Comment

• Comment

• I just wanted to add something if someone is looking for a cheap disk brake conversion.
                            I bought a 4x4 S10 blazer rear disk rotor and aluminum caliper kit from Rock Auto for $130. I had the cut to fit 31 spline axles from speedway so I had my friend cut the hub opening on the rotors to 3.07" and had to make my own bracket. Speedway sells a kit for about $260 that comes with brackets so for 1/2 price I thought it was a pretty good deal. The depth of the rotor works pretty good plus I ended up with aluminum calipers for a little weight savings. All new I might add.

Comment

• I have a bunch of aluminum 1/2 fuel line, an old Holley blue pump that I rebuilt a while ago as a spare, a regulator, a nice fuel pressure gauge with an isolator, and a NOS cheater kit.
                              So, I'm thinking about taking the gas tank out and getting a sump kit for it while the rear end is out, that way I can paint the whole underside of the car.
                              As my projects always do, this is going to lead to another situation. The 1/2 inch nitrous plate is going to place the carb too close to the hood now. Not a major issue, there are a few options I see.
                              I could take the hood off and worry about it later, I have a smoked lexan scoop, so I could cut a hole in the hood. Or just get a cowl hood. My original intent was to keep it as stock looking as possible, but that went out the window a while ago, and cutting the hood wouldn't hurt my feeling much because it has a few dents in it from where it blew off the roof where it was sitting when the previous owner had it.

Comment

• I also got some tubing to try and stiffen up the front end. I was thinking about cutting it at an angle and welding it to some plates and bolting it in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X