72 Cutlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

Ok that makes sense. We probably will go with your parts then, if I can get back to this one. All my trucks are breaking now.

Thats always how it goes for me. Get time to start working on the fun car but have to keep the daily drivers maintained too. Funny how that works.
    CHECK US OUT AT:
    www.ridetech.com

Comment

Need to get back on this one soon. I've done more but the pics aren't on my tablet. When I get back from Nebraska in a couple weeks, this is getting attention and time.

Comment

Have made progress on this since my last post. Those of you on FB with me know whats going on. Here's an update for the rest. Blew the car mostly apart, still drivable though which is amusing. Skinned the doors, they came out nice. Have been trimming the drivers quarter panel, and I kinda suck at it. The stamping and my measurements are off so I have a gap to fill. Not a big thing, but annoying. I have a plan for the other side, should work better than this.

We are doing a disc swap and bushings in the suspension for now, will upgrade it later after she is driving it. She is having some interesting things going on, so we backed it down a bit. The weather has been quite warm lately, I spent a few hours in the shop today with no heat, nice and comfy working weather. Strange considering how cold it has always been up here from December to March. I'm trying to stay motivated so I can have it done by summer, shouldn't be impossible since this thing is not too bad off... if I can refrain from cutting metal too short in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	skinning.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	1187936
        Attached Files

Comment

Need the shop space to build my house, partly need storage, partly need to do wood work out of the weather, so the Cutlass needs to get done and fast. Started in earnest last week, taking off the days when its too damn cold to work without the heater running. This is what I have gotten done.

Comment

Comment

My dad had a 69 Cutlass Supreme , Olive green , Black vinyl roof , black interior and a rocket 350 . I can still remember the day the salesman delivered it to the house , yes delivered . Of course I was the first one to put a dent in it . My dad was an Oldsmobile man ! .

Comment

It's coming along! Sorry for the deadline but cool that you have inspiration.

Dan

Comment

The deadline is self imposed Dan. I want to have a real house with interior doors and plumbing. Been going on it steady, and I am feeling it every night when I come back to the shack. Mostly from pulling stuff around....

Comment

I know what you mean! I'm lucky to have a next door neighbor who will help push from time to time - ME is a bit too fragile to help with that.

Dan

Comment

How I spent my memorial day.. Sandblasting a Cutlass frame. Not the most laid back thing for a near 50 year old to be doing when most people are goofing off. Needs done, so now its done. Also, her wheels showed up. 17x8 and 17x9, the 235 45 fronts and 285 45 rear tires are on the way, along with a whole mess of parts I need to put this thing together. So, house stuff, and car stuff at the same time. It might seem like I am going fast and busting my ass, but really I am screwing around most of the time.

Comment

You wanna blast my trailer? Looks good. And the wheels looks GREAT! She has good taste.

Dan

Comment

looking pretty good!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thank guys. I have my own trailers to blast, and its a bit rough on my aging bones, so gotta pass on that Dan.I am having fun with this one, the first of many boxes showed up today. I have the upper arms almost done in the blast cabinet, its really warm up here so most of what I do will be early. When the rest of it shows up, I will paint the frame, arms etc and assemble it all, drop the engine and trans in, then do all the plumbing. Tomorrow I am picking up a heavier tracked bobcat to move dirt, so the car stuff has to wait until I am done with that.

The first ex came out with my youngest kid yesterday, the look on her face at what I am doing was priceless. She wanted more money and control of me which would never happen, so she left. She remarked that the TV in my shop is bigger than the one in her house, and she almost has her used crapbox car paid off while all of mine are paid for. She looked at this Cutlass on the rotisserie and just stared at it with that "I done screwed up" look on her face. Treat me right, get a car built for cheap. Veronica is the same age as my ex, but so much more woman, in a 'half the size' package.

Life sure gets more interesting as we get old. Its getting to be fun. Lots of fun.

Comment

A big pile of parts showed up. Those tires are fat like her rear end and might be a bit much for the rims. The bobcat broke again, and again, so now I am getting an education on IH hydraulic systems... The frame got POR15, top bottom and inside, as did the control arms. Then a heavy coat of chassis black enamel. Had to let it dry and then I started putting it back together. Takes up less space like this. Got the disc conversion done, rear end with UMI arms and a big swaybar out back, and now its back on all four wheels. Need to get my mig bottle refilled, then I can finish the sheetmetal work and get it in primer. Its lots of fun getting the front springs in, the solution is bolting the engine in to add some weight. The trans is just there for weight right now, it needs rebuilt. Its a 2004R, there are a few of them laying around here.

Tomorrow I'll drag the skid steer into the shop and tear it apart yet again. Will probably park it somewhere out of the way and rent a larger one to do all the work over a couple days. It was working pretty well too.

Comment

I wish my progress was as good...
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X