1929 " Silver seeder" Model A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 " Silver seeder" Model A

I've been collecting parts to do this build for about 2 years, starting with the rolling chassis. One of the guys my dad works with, lost his father a a few years ago and decided to start cleaning up his property. I had been buying various automotive things from him and hadn't paid much attention to the frame. Until one day I got to looking at the hubcaps on it.
    IMG_5276 by , on Flickr
    Which the 18" wheels and hubcaps are 32 ford, I thought I had won the lottery of potential Hot Rod builds.After pulling the scrap metal off of this one time hay wagon off I found the cross member to be a straight piece of metal and not a K. Needless to say I still bought it for the whopping sum of $50. At that point I shoved it into the tree row and started looking for a motor, as I figured that would dictate the build. The first motor I found was a 1946 Cadillac V8 for a couple hundred bucks, The huge downfall was an 8 inch crack in the side of the block. Fixable but both my dad and the seller thought it was to heavy of a motor for the A frame. So my search turned to a Flat head V8, despite the constant suggestion to just go with a small block chevy. Oddly enough I came across a 30's Gleaner- Baldwin 4 banger ( hence the name silver seeder) that was made by ford. My old mail man who lived 3 miles away had bought it to power a buzz saw.
    DSC_0484 by , on Flickr
    I then found a guy who practically gave away all the parts he wasn't needing from a fairly complete model A that he was going to hot rod. So that gained me a second rear end, with a torque tube, a model A transmission, a steering column, and some other small parts.Last May at a swap meet I was talking to a vendor who was selling a few model a bodies and asked him if he had a cowl to sell. He didn't but had seen one on the other side of the swap meet, and all's he needed was the gas tank to complete one of the bodies he was selling. I had found a gas tank for a model A at the place I bought the frame. So I went half in with him and got me the cowl to complete the A to the point I could get it street legal.
    DSC_0846 by , on Flickr
    So after selling my El Camino and some other things I had some funds to start buying some of the tools, and supplies needed for the build. I kind of dinked around with the project a bit cleaning and painting the marvel carb, turning he motor over to insure it wasn't locked up, grinding some of the brackets off the frame, as well as trying to straighten the frame horns. The project didn;t realy take off till recently when I decided to start with the trans as I had it sitting in my Durant shell all summer but the area had flooded and the trans got water in it.( Going to hold back a bit on some of the rebuild pics as to not flood the page, but will give key ones.)
    IMG_9049 by , on Flickr
    First thing I did was separate the bell housing, but in order to do that I needed to remove the Clutch and brake pedal and lineage first. Every thing moved some what freely, however the clevis pics where all rusted solid, so out came the dremel.
    IMG_9094 by , on Flickr
    A bit of a blurry picture but as you can see both sides of the clevis are rusted in. After separation I gave the Trans and bell housing a bath to clean the majority of the dried on grease off. With great anxiety of the inside being rusted horribly I pulled the shift column off to find.
    IMG_9124 by , on Flickr
    Every thing was covered in sludgy 600W.
    IMG_9138 by , on Flickr
    As the best to be hoped for on the counter shaft and reverse gear as well.
    A bit of a step back: As I took the U joint housing off I noticed something was odd with the bolts, one being my 6 point socket didn't want to realy go on.
    IMG_9130 by , on Flickr
    It was only after I cleaned them up I realized why.
    DSC_0304 by , on Flickr
    Some where down the line, some how either the U joint came in contact with the bolts, or some one failed to run that safety wire through the bolts to prevent them from backing out. I'm guessing the rear end got shoved forward pushing the U joint into the bolts.
    After every thing was apart, cleaned and inspected I put in a couple orders with parts suppliers. Earlier this week I got some paint in so I painted the trans
    DSC_0330 by , on Flickr

Looking like a cool project.
    Going to add hop up parts?

Comment

Great project! And welcome to the insanity. Please keep us posted. There are a lot of bits out there for these - cylinder heads, cams, etc. Hope you have fun with it.

Dan

Comment

Cool old-old-school project!

Comment

About the only hop up parts I've been thinking about would be 2 Stromberg, split exhaust, a higher compression head and possibly a speedster body. I'll post some more tonight.
          Last edited by leleva; March 31, 2016, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leleva View Post
            About the only hop up parts I've been thinking about would be 2 Stromberg, split exhaust, a higher compression head and possibly a speedster body. I'll post some more tonight.
            In Land Speed Racing we have classes geared for these engines so I see lots of interesting bits in Tech. Fun to see what folks find and install.

Dan

Comment

I'll have to check it out, to be honest I'd like to keep it period correct as well. A little more on what I have previously started. The frame was a bit beat up, with the frame horns being bent, and various welds.
              DSC_0080 by , on Flickr
              With the help of my date as the torch man, we heated up the horns and I started working them back.
              DSC_0081 by , on Flickr
              After getting them close I turned my attention to the bar welded to the top, since it was blocking the radiator mounting pads.
              DSC_0154 by , on Flickr
              A little grinding and some flap disk work smoothed it out.I then made an order for some new rivets for the front cross member, and hope to rivets here with in the next few weeks.

The steering column has been the latest disassembly, only two areas of concern there. One being some one cut the sector shaft
              IMG_9155 by , on Flickr
              The other being this rusty nut.
              IMG_9154 by , on Flickr
              The first thing I did was hit it with my induction tool.
              IMG_9176 by , on Flickr
              Then some PB blaster, how ever that still didn't break it loose, the nut itself was disintegrated, and I ended up hammering a socket onto it. Unfortunately all's that I had was a 12 point. How ever with the help of a cheater bar.
              IMG_9179 by , on Flickr
              I got it out.
              IMG_9182 by , on Flickr
              Now I either need to Fab up a steering wheel puller or buy one. The transmission parts shipped today, so I will hopefully be able to get the trans back together before next weekend, and move on.

Comment

A little update, continued on the frame after I got the rivets.
                IMG_9225
                Took every thing off the frame, a lot of stuff was seized up horribly, and with the torch it stubbornly came apart.
                IMG_9306 by , on Flickr
                Did several repairs to the frame.
                IMG_9389 by , on Flickr
                IMG_9392 by , on Flickr
                IMG_9393 by , on Flickr
                IMG_9395 by , on Flickr
                Got the trans back together, and lubed it so it wont rust for the time being.
                IMG_9224 by , on Flickr
                Pulled the old pedal shaft out of the bell housing, due to its horrible pitting.
                IMG_9244 by , on Flickr
                Hot riveted the new one in. I was a little disappointed in the quality of the pedal shaft as who ever cut the round stock didn't do it square. Not a big deal since no one will see it I guess.
                IMG_9258 by cole base, on Flickr
                Used a couple washers and a nut and bolt to suck in the new pedal shaft bushings in.
                IMG_9264 by , on Flickr
                Then I reamed them out,
                DSC_0780 by , on Flickr
                After I got some otherthings apart, I cleaned every thing up and primed and painted
                IMG_9424 by , on Flickr
                When the paint dried I put the rest of the trans back together.
                IMG_9428 by , on Flickr
                I ended up buying the back half of a roadster, which is going to take quiet a bit of sheet metal work, but I got it at a reasonable price.
                Last edited by leleva; June 26, 2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I ended up getting laid of in march due to my plant closing, however I had already spent a lot of my tax refund on model A parts so I had some free time to start working on the ol A again. Tore down the rear end.

Painted it, put new bearings in it, and set it up.

I had bought this rear end section about a year ago, and had just been waiting for it to get shipped down. The day before the fellow came down he told me he wasn't going to be able to send it. To my surprise, I showed up in the chevy 2 to pick up the small parts there it was.

I ended up buying a bunch more model A parts from a local gentlemen just to get some doors, the down side is the doors are for a 30-31 so the hinges don't match up. However the doors are pretty beat up so I don't think any one will cry at the modifying of them to fit.

I did end up buying a 30/31 coupe body that had the roof cut off of it, once it gets here in late august I'll have to decided what direction I want to go with it.

Comment

I'll nominate you for sainthood at your willingness to solve rusted-together parts in a method that doesn't include tannerite.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I would love to have an A but right now I have a 70 miles @ 70 mph rule. If it will not do that daily it can't join the fleet.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

This looks like fun . But you are doing it and I love watching people work . Me I'm getting tired of working on them . I would like a ( I think this is right ) a model AA 1 and a quarter ton dually flatbed . A flathead in it would be perfect but a sbc or a sbf with a clark 5 speed would work .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          I would love to have an A but right now I have a 70 miles @ 70 mph rule. If it will not do that daily it can't join the fleet.
                          Soooo - your stuff only has to run an hour at a time?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Soooo - your stuff only has to run an hour at a time?
                            Yep! But it's got to be fixed or repaired for the next daily drive
                            Last edited by Russell; August 14, 2017, 06:01 PM.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              Better get rid of your John Deere.. It can't do that!

Comment

Working...
                              X