1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evap canister

real wet out, lots of rain. Even found some water on passenger floor through dash.
    anyway, no codes,
    and it had a hard time starting. All gadgets working, and firing, fuel pumping.
    on intuition.. there is something nasty in the fuel..

I have a trick to flood the injected engine, if it works you can get a temporary code on one of the sensors or even catalytic convertor claiming to be non-efficient.. this does not give a CEL light, it just shows up in live data... like a pre code before a real one.

I now have concluded I poisoned the evap can.
    I recharged my own a/c, recovered a power steering leak.. and it is black and goopy on the bottom.
    bombs away truck cleaner is another potent, as well as liquid waxes or other soaps in the pressure washer I use.

I do not know why mine is so active, in relation to runtime.
    I did notice it has two purge controls.. must be an after 1996 version.
    so one is definitely opening, prior to the normal intake solenoid.. I have two.
    This could be key open, or while starting open..
    it is in previous posts, it has the line that was left open, no destination.

maybe gm is trying to use the super light vapors to help start?

anyway, got going just fine, and noticed the fuel mileage is WAY up in the rain. It used to suck fuel down like a 10below january or april fog..
    I did indeed hook something up correctly.

seeing the price of new canisters, out of the question.

I'll post a pic of cleaning the filter, and driving in the rain is a good thing. It reacts to the moisture to clear it out.
    Rain and water must be the extra needed "hydro" in the hydrocarbon, over ruling the stagnation.

..and by lots of rain, I mean lots of rain. this is louisiana like forecast. We have nearly 2 inches already fallen, heading for a potential of 5 more.
    it would be nice to see beyond 6 inch mark.. have not seen that in my 30 years here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1c78f3fb-c717-45cf-976c-34058e57bebe.png
Views:	50
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1177905

I have seen 4 something inches in a fairly short time...it forever moved land.
    in fact, the houses I remember that twisted, only got torn down in the recent years of my return.
    they sat for decades.
    I remember one trying to find an arsonist.. some just got burned down.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 25, 2017, 01:36 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• 5 inches

Name:	DSC08604w.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	993.7 KB
ID:	1178235

got a local measure on the rain.
      found one lamp got wet. Took them both apart to find it was my own doing.. I left a high beam light without that last little locker.

I decided to paint the middle of the lamps black after removing front cover.

these do have a drain. the wet one had the clay color of dust on one of them. ..and I have determined the plastic is the good stuff. Took it apart no problem.
      I like the projector (low beam) backing being all metal, H1 bulb, and a round shape.
      this was a good deal after all.

Name:	DSC08605w.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1178236

reminds me of the very first years of the gmt400...and take away some glare,add another unique ID.

Name:	DSC08606w.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	989.1 KB
ID:	1178237

and this is trash in the trees, complete with dirty diapers.
      I am no indian crying on a hill...but this was damn bothersome.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 28, 2017, 12:59 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 8 pm. Neighbors reveal, they have a deadline to be out the next day.. all belongings.
        deja vu. I had helped another couple last year.
        So I give a 20 mile round trip ride to their new destination.
        6 am jump out of bed.. after 230am bed time.
        8am. pick up dead line neighbors, they freight the truck. another 20 miles.
        930am. back for anther load. another 20 miles.
        Stuff is in a blur.. not enough coffee. Was it 3 trips or four... ?
        no breakfast.

my disabled vet neighbor and I had plans to bring him to appt...
        1pm was take off time. Late.
        setup oxygen tank,
        90mph for 30 miles... behind a dodge ram with a broken rear window duct taped with cardboard in the rain.
        arrive at hospital. Once again, I am treated as if to be trained nurse or care taker.. it is just assumed.
        Setup wheel chair with oxygen, park the truck and push neighbor for what seemed to be 12 miles ...to the wrong end of the building.

2pm. He is taken away to to lab requests.
        230pm. I chow down at some small cafe in the hospital... what I thought was egg salad, like for sandwiches, tastes more like cottage cheese. It went well with the overcooked pizza that was sitting in the cooker.

I am eating at a bench as patients wander by. No breakfast or lunch. Who cares what is stuck in my beard. My sweatshirt smells and looks like a pickup truck load of neighbor anyway.

pouring rain on the way home.
        48 bucks in fuel, gas cap lets out a hiss so I can fill it up.

a dinner at a small dysarts gas station and restaurant.
        parked right at the front, where I remember the biker guy with an attitude from some summer trip with the same vet to a different hospital...we had dinners coming home there.

tuna fish sandwich. I can feel it fighting with the cottage cheese egg and dry pizza.
        I accept the leftover chicken fingers my neighbor did not eat, dipping it into sweet and sour sauce. The Maine potato wedges should be the grit to end all battles.

now at 366k miles. 180 mile day.
        fuel really sucked down in the rain.. I know it is oxide now. grinder, welding, paints..all 3 perhaps.

the last stretch, a straightaway.. i did not want to pass the dodge doing 55. I was tired.
        a newer gmc flies by, 40 grand my guess..with the 20 inch denali wheels.
        All white. lights too bright.
        someone may call his kingdom an asshole some day.

let it feel special.
        I was tired. My fate pisses off empty wallets anyway. No need to add that to being tired. Click image for larger version

Name:	forecast1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1179217

off to winter in a day... will see my hibernation end next may.
        All while I never sleep anyway.

..and this song, is stuck in a loop in my head.

maybe I am winding up to my right to bear arms.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 6, 2017, 09:16 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• exactly factory

hit the limiter today.. somewhere near 100.
          I was glad to feel that happen.. An open cat must skip the function right by.
          I also found a 420 code, like it did before the new cat.. but no engine light.
          I am wondering if it is trying to find two cats, like the 350 version of this truck gets.

I only have 1and it is giving a code like there is more than 1.
          must be 350 related. Maybe it has had a new computer along the way.

it is in good working order anyway. CEL doesn't come on.

by chance I was playing with different colors on the alpine radio.
          the half lit ABS light went out as I scrolled through the 350 choices (I am not kidding - the bezel has a knob to turn for 350 different colors.)
          the half lit abs went out at a light blue on the radio.

rather funny. I guess even diode lights find each other... it is not just old incandescent problems after all.

life is perfect..except I want to tear my neighbor gene apart with my bare hands.
          no sense in having a good gmc, if I go to jail for murder.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I left the woods for 20something years.

Maybe finding dead animals has come back to my senses.

Name:	DSC08644w.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1180417
            yep.
            killed it with a pumpkin.
            special forces stuff, learned it in the air force.
            the only natural food from maine I took to..
            a deer just right.

this one seemed sick. A dumped carcass. I actually don't do venison since the late 80s, early 90s.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• random no start - deciphered

33F and rain, went to 54F and rain.

truck acted wet. No start. All indications, all is well. No codes etc.
              I already poked and prodded this error, there is nothing wet.

I then figured it out..
              I am burying the regulator in perfect conditions.
              This is in cold starts only, and very random.. not common.
              more than 24 hours sitting.

1. needs rain/moisture
              2. temperature change. This is cold to warm or vice versa...while raining.
              3. key on buries regulator - too much pressure. No relief. NONE.
              4. injection does not allow throttle to dump like a carb.

the only cure is wait state, keeping key on is no big deal either.
              it simply just gives an explosive start to hot 02 sensors etc.

my subaru was my first encounter with this, I doubled fuel pressure.
              1-3 bumped to 5.
              same outcome. buried regulator...had to wait.
              leave it to me to float a balance like that..twice, across 2 countries builds.

I could swap for fresh regulator, as I know I have the updated pump, like todays trucks get. A little more kick for the same 55psi.
              It is so close to being good at all times, this weird scenario gains my patience.

I was also thinking I could relief the rail myself at the schroeder valve.. but that would be a stinky mess.

I am willing to bet a new regulator may be the fresh spring to keep in the modern values.
              there is no obd2 code for that on my 1996.

I hated dead head systems for this reason..and here i created one while it has a full return.

A decent cure was fuel additives, gumout, all the different brands.
              I must be gaining a slippery slide on the old regulator.
              I added some today, won't overthink it.

i am a sucker for ts16949..
              went and got the 8 dollar regulator.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	1180504

in this video, you can guess why I am in no rush.
              where relief works on internal vacuum, the moisture and cold start must be a 20+ inch vacuum start. A super sucker.
              I have a habit cold and warm engine to wait for primer to stop as a result.
              ..but I still have to wait like today, if it kicks..doe snot come back easily.
              the fuel cleaners do very good.

my locale has my subaru rochester icing at 45F, just needs this time of year until april.
              ..that one hits 22+ inches. I ended up with hot rod parts to spark up the little 1.8 liter.
              A holley regulator, full return system running through the carb custom.

where these engines are designed to be very dry, it is hard telling if egr opens on start up on days like this or what else it is doing.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 19, 2017, 07:58 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• chilly snap..gentle version.

Name:	DSC08646w.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	931.6 KB
ID:	1180719

down to 10F, back to 50 warm sun.
                I love it when this rural place does that. The odors of the air, feels so good.
                I have gone as far as opening oil fill caps to feel the chill and pressure before starting in the warm. check the fluids

kaboom.
                very alive.

the exhaust is .. well...
                very large.
                I did not want that for this out of courtesy, but I guess something has got to be the biggest n the driveway.
                it goes with my nature anyway.

As of now, I am planning a florida run in january.
                I am kinda hoping that plan does not change.. even if it does, it seems i will be getting there somehow.
                family trip, not sure what is going to come together yet.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• thanksgiving

encountered ice near noon, going to my brothers. working my way through the alton woods..
                  I build for this.

many accidents there.
                  40 something miles to destination.

I had my camera all charged up, good meal, good gathering..
                  took no photos.
                  I forgot for some odd reason.

Name:	DSC08653w.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	747.7 KB
ID:	1180979

not forgetting thanksgiving family altogether, I grabbed this photo as the truck sat back in its parking spot.. after I just got home.
                  about 12 hours later, yet another fatal accident on the bennoch road (the alton woods), in the local news.

staying in control is as black and white as the facts.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• map lights

Name:	mapled.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1181312
                    found the LED map lights cheap, from guangzxouh (?).

Name:	ledbulbtracking1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1181313

$2.69...with shipping included.

13000 miles to go.

Name:	ledmaplght.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	1181314
                    tracking finds it in thailand.

will it go over the top in the cessna for a short run of 8300 miles?

Name:	mapledbulbs.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	1181315

I bet it goes the so cal route, for the total of 11,560 mile run.

700,000 dollars in shipping for my 2 dollar light bulbs.

this should leave only 4 lights left in the whole truck as incandescent.

30 below cold starts? bring it on.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• exhaust clip

saw a nice view, and had my camera.
                      I wanted to record the new exhaust some time ago.

being of francis ford coppola quality in all my videos, i made a sad version.

can't forget Pink floyd. that would be terrible.
                      I see there is a tough guy with missiles in the news..
                      that would be terrible.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 28, 2017, 05:22 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• my led...they are FLYING.
                        Flight landed to destinationKennedy International Airport USA

Nov-26-17, 22:35 PM

Bangkok transport to destinationLocal courier sorting centre, TH

Nov-26-17, 01:35 AM
                        bangkok to kennedy.

one shot.

that pilot needs a beer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bgkkndy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.5 KB ID:	1181618

over the top is 8729 miles. not sure if thatpath is allowed.
                        North pole is some kinda sacred.

I found it is the 4th longest flight in the world.
                        bangkok to kennedy.
                        17hours and 10minutes.

I treat all my LED experiments as special.
                        I'll declare the map lights the hardest to get..without ambiguity.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 30, 2017, 10:03 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• scanner hunting

I have got elm327, software found in windows store front..and the autel 509(?)

I found something interesting as the cheap ones do not have full info, controls.. very basic and generic.

plugging in the elm327 with my lap top on wifi and bluetooth simultaenous blinks muy half lit abs light twice then shuts it off..
                          no "cam retard" check or abs.

I was guided to tech2 gm official or snap on mt2500.

one would think elm327 would have a software to just gather all data, maybe unlabeled but by address it comes from.
                          the cam retard plays with the number 0 to 15 or something.

Will keep hunting and update.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• jumpy

not all that cold, but that compression. I verify it with wunderground.
                            we dipped to 21F while all around stayed in mid to upper 20s.
                            hairy frost, chimney smoke dips down below second story windows and hovers.

time to think.

in my exhaust video the hill drops 245 feet in 4907 according to google earth.
                            this leaves it as a 6 percent grade.
                            At 7 percent, trucks get warnings about brakes etc.
                            given I went the whole distance to the end of the road.. the span inbetween has a sharper slope for half of the 4907.

using half the hill and google earths drop..

11% grade for 2907 feet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC08658bw.jpg Views:	2 Size:	672.6 KB ID:	1181726

off in the distance, it is indeed mt. katahdin.... 45 miles away.
                            tug at my brain first thing in the morning.
                            it is all downhill from here.

I am already submitted to several other places, more professional backgrounds, no mental phenomenas.
                            I'll probably miss this place time and time again.

3 deaths just this past week within miles of my address...that is just driving. Weird enough to assume suicides.. when it isn't.That compression is stealing fairy talers like the devil.
                            It attracts people trying to hide...seems the big guy upstairs only allows it for so long.

I see the adjective "epic" in memes and photos since the internet began... and then realize my own statistics...in my own location.
                            A peaceful place increases my humility for mental retards trying to keep up.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 2, 2017, 06:44 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• gmc log...

I parked on a hill, brewer maine.
                              I said.. I bet this creeps to the lower compression if I leave the gear as the stopper.

My brother looks out the window of his place an hour later..
                              and says "wheres the truck?"

well.
                              it rolled down the hill by itself, perfectly staying inline with the curb.

oddly enough it stopped halfway.. at the steepest part.
                              I guessed compression ratio after that.
                              Riding the thermals allowed it to move.(cylinders lose volume as they cool down, shutdown)

anyway, the brand new ebrake cable is too tight for maine.
                              I'll nail it with wd40 or something.. it is right in the cab, the only tight spot. No wear, looking brand new.
                              I use it, but requires a tug to move some plastic liner visible at the floor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC08701w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1181912
                              tree down from the last windstorm.

going to a quiet place tells me what the city pig added to the truck.
                              usually a septic odor from bangor brewer.
                              when you live in it..you don't notice.

Imagine 50 yr old airplanes I worked added to an open dump hill not far off...and not even knowing there is a septic fog that creeps around silently with it.
                              I know why I am alive.
                              A cold walk on a dead silent trail, and I can even smell myself.
                              got two miles in, trying my ankle brace and back in my hiking shoes.

I won't be able to do that much longer.. I am reeling in some years.
                              Rowing the gears back out on the main road, up to 65 on the secondary road behind the truck in photo..
                              and I got passed by a 2003 looking truck, all black, extended cab like mine.

I figured what the heck, stayed 5 cars behind it to see what the normal speed is here..
                              75 and 80 was not uncommon to see on the speedometer.

something worse than the city here is brains stuck on no knowledge, or stereotypes.
                              I'll never miss that about this place.
                              I laughed to think, some of the LS guys don't know the small block at its best is their normal.

my 96 is the secret underestimation, like me.
                              some talk the highway, some walk the highway...
                              and don't need to say much.

usually a military association, walking the walk..
                              it applies to many things.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 4, 2017, 01:28 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• uh oh. lookout

I wonder what my truck does with it.

Name:	lagrangestorre.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1181919

I have not had real fuel until stopping in new jersey.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X