X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air conditioning!

38F at the vent, bright sun.. 80s F.
    I did something better than factory.
    the pump is a new standard of the same appearance as the old one, shipped with synthetic PAG oil, the better casing, and modern seals.

I did find when the battle is on, the blower motor really takes some amps. It shows up in the volt gauge.
    I got the ball bearing version of the blower motor for good reason.

I wanted to share every detail, as i repaired this on my own.. very much a newb on the subject to tackle it.

I also found my double refill desire (full pull twice) may have been attributed to something called a "triple point" of h2o.
    I did go at it as tight as a technicians handbook.

the original fail was on the sucker side of the pump (the worst kind of fail one can have), and proved it still can be won.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• the princess and the lugnut.

Made yet another 222 mile round to the V.A.
      there just might be 100 miles with the cruise set at 80.

truck is tight, I am the elite welder, tire fitter, rocker maker, suspension keeper, cab mount mender, cross sill fabricator...electrician,
      and window washer. Click image for larger version

Name:	2029918-007__ra_p.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1166029

little tiny almost vibration in the wheel. Starts at 78 or so. not a thump, not a wiggle.. just something.
      I know it is the right front. I can see this one oddball lugnut in my head, spinning like the fat one on the merry go round, with the other 5 smaller siblings going with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	2028949-007__ra_p.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1166030

So I stop at autozone, and spend 1.99 for this shiny one to match the other 5. Swap it on the spot.
      I thought this truck was smooth as it could get.. but no, it got even better.

and the a/c is beautiful. I could drive this a very long day.

13.5 mpg..yikes.
      but damn that a/c was garden hose getting the air comfortable. Lots of humidity. With a/c on, oil pressure stays up, even the tranny, the ice cold manual, stays even colder. I check that by putting a finger at the base of the hurst shifter. I bet it barely sees 150F runtime... or less.

I also noticed that clutch fan, it really digs in with a/c. I'll trade this out for nothing.. expense is gas mileage. I learned my lesson with a monte carloSS. I had a/c up and running and a silly aftermarket fan.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 7, 2017, 03:35 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• remote entry

I came out of a store, saw my doors were unlocked.
        I locked them before I went in.

A chat at gm-trucks.com verified my oddity. someone elses remote entry unlocked my truck.
        It happened to someones 1998 as well.. a 2004 trucks remote entry unintentionally unlocked it.
        a funny story.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1166555

So, I went and ordered this. I can only assume it preoccupies the frequency.. but not sure.

edit:
        I do not have remote locks.. but could. I might dig into it. I am still in awe of fuel injection.. remote door locks?
        that is just crazy.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 15, 2017, 10:38 AM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• homeless vet steals tube socks!

another month has gone by.. it seems I ignored the gmc for the most part.
          strangely hot today.. not even 90F.
          a positive charge is in the air.

a/c on, roaming the city with roads all tore up. Flaggers and workers too dark, too much sun.
          I have been there.

the temp gauge for this 305 climbs to 2 click before 210F. Never seen it this warm.
          I love this engine for a reason.
          keeping cool as i have never been, seeing people that are not so happy out there.

Did my laundry..bangor maine has some great places. i do not trust my building anymore. Will do laundry elsewhere.
          No public health hazards announced and it accepts mental patients.

anyway, always hot when it gets out of the dryer. Throw it in the cab of my truck and do not need to care about the extra heat..

off to the sams club routine, I stopped at 11 items.
          I opt for the self checkout, the place was packed. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07205w.jpg
Size:	899.7 KB
ID:	1169075

I forgot to scan the tube socks. I am not even kidding.
          I walked out with the tube socks...passed the deep security check, receipt signed and items looked over with wandering eyes.
          I am the greatest of all time.... by accident.

this same week, the asian checkout clerk counted 3 of the 4 pieces of plywood I had on the cart. I did not say anything.

26 bucks saved in a week.. just gotta steal stuff by accident that's all.
          I am a badass.
          free tube socks and some plywood.
          all a homeless vet will ever need.

I opted to stay public about my weird physiology. Sometimes it is something a mystic would be intrigued to make up stuff over.
          my craziest times are interactions with my subaru and nothing shy of god.

but there is other stuff..

Name:	image_52366.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	1169079

I broke my foot in basic, a chemical reaction, too much marching. I thought I healed and destroyed it in a slow motion accident..approx 3 years after that. Simply slid off the road in snow.
          pulverized.
          all the while I kept working military airplanes. Metal plate and 8 screws was part of my tour.
          I am always lit. A fellow vet might know what that means.

the mystery:
          for more than 20 years, in my own private washer, public, or like in this tenant building..
          i will find one female sock looking just like photo...

more than half the time.

no explanation. most often the dryer after it is done, sometimes the washer.
          it is never there in the beginning of the load, of course.
          I need to check all machines before using. I have a fear of other peoples laundry.
          like a public toilet that don't look or smell right.

the little female sock, always in this appearance.. has not stopped in 20 years.
          it just shows up, random. At the end of a washer cycle, or the dryer. Never happened twice showing up in both on the same chore day.
          just one or the other.

I hope I do not meet this match. (I think it is nuclear, between you and I.)

One day in this tenant building the washer stopped and overflowed with my blanket inside it.
          the maint. guy takes the washer out of its spot.. and guess what was underneath the flush mounted washer...
          you guessed it, identical to the sock above. One got caught in the motor and killed the machine.

explain in your own reality, and declare it your truth.
          have fun with your puny minds.

in my own attempt at physics. Nuclear creates a void. some see the light, some see the darkness. they both keep going.
          I see both. I am supposed to be genius apparently.

I am guessing a female air force vet, at the same time as my war stampede, got similar shots...same time.
          positive negative,light dark.
          nothing kinky about it. I would believe it is genetics.
          straight male, and straight female. Beyond a dream, it has kept me alive.
          war time has a different shot record BTW. My own is animal. A lot like army grunts...gulf 1. Probably marines as well.
          I know I am lit. they need people like me for air force 1, the bombers, some of the well used fighters.
          it is a secret while young... some still deny it. I know better.

I mention it here, as I declared the 305 my favorite while I was active. It is like an iron bulldozer of linear to rotation that does not put up with my weirdness. It stands ground. I am very happy with it. I drove 305 G-body nearly my whole tour. It stopped at nothing. It was parked right near the flightline sometimes.

Today would have been a bad day in my subaru. When the left side of my head aches, and my left eye seems a bit lame to the other...
          I know what is happening in the air, do you?

edit:
          hopped into the evening shower and looked down...

....the pause is for your own sick thoughts.

Name:	DSC07207w.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	988.6 KB
ID:	1169090
          broken blood vessels in the metal foot. I could have guessed.
          get a close look. This is a humans interaction with more than pain.

I hope all your old school hot rods keep running...with no mystery.
          I can tell this would intensify if I headed west, at my latitude.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 3, 2017, 05:45 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• subaru back in the corner
            truck sat for more than 5 days..
            was not even going to get in it today.

I am constantly monitoring unknown physics. It is my hands, it is my life, it is everything I touch.
            when one does not believe the truth, it pains...

my dad's pterbilt was in the yard when I welded the subaru.
            his truck is a 2016.. today the alternator mysteriously quit. First run since he got home.

The old subaru is still looking for the mother ship apparently.

I felt bad, he needed a ride, so I went northbound and found him in lincoln maine.
            My gmc is a great vehicle to get back into after a subaru.

I get to my dads and see speckles of oil on the tailgate.
            I look underneath and my diff cover is leaking from smack dab middle UP TOP.

that is not even inline with the ring gear. All bolts tight, I wiped it off, made sure vent tube was clear..stopped in at parts store and gave it a metal fuel filter.. mini version.

My hand is on the shifter, the all metal hurst in the middle of the truck, going down the middle of the tranny, the transfer and to the end point called a diff.

This little nuclear lesson was learned from another veteran... years ago. Yes it was a fellow tanker crew chief.
            I am glad to get a heads up about the insanity of being who I am .. I'd be insane otherwise.

the leak stopped with the fuel filter addon. A good ride home.

Staying public with my veterans affairs pursuits ..
            today I picked up some forms called a DBQ, filled out by my foot doctor. I guess these forms are about as strong as evidence can be.

I am labeled with degenerative osteoarthritis, and bone fusion.. left foot.
            that is only one end of my air force body. It was not even my disability.

I hope for the truth this goes through this time..
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 15, 2017, 05:44 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• no work on the truck this year.
              little things. Seeing a diode needed no heatsink to my ambitiuos LED swap.
              some stainless for the lower rear quarter.. as apreventive. it is in damn good shape already.

Truck wash to get the subaru pathways goo off of it.

Complimented by two guys as I got out.

That made my day.
              Now i know I have got a truck going my way.

..and those LED. You will increase the value by getting them.

odometer today: 363040.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I am subscribed to this one, he does a lot of work.
                he is probably near my age.. but I am this excited over LED as well.

the diesel will notice along alternator life,like the gas.. but the gas. holy crap..even the engine tune changes.
                my old 96 is no slouch.

LED did all of it.. the newer fuel pump and equal plug wires is about all.
                I attrbute most of it to the always lit light circuit being cut by 8 times the original power.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• on a whim
                  I figured extra time at the garage, and I did have some.
                  stopped at o'reillys and grabbed the old truck some new front shocks.
                  more than i'd like to pay.. it came to 55 dollars.

Name:	DSC07494w.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	990.1 KB
ID:	1172527

this truck ran smooth before the new shocks.
                  I can't even tell you how good it is with the new monroes..which are much bigger.

the photo shows the old hydraulic version.. I wonder just how old they are.
                  no rebound.

the swap was dramatic. the bolts had no known wrench size.. but I worked it anyway. Hardware store run for some grade 8 american to normalize the next repair.
                  the old shocks had no rebound and air queefed...and the truck ran smooth anyway.

my sams club eggs had a nice ride home.

where these parts are as ionized active as a receiver hitch on a wimpy frame.. i did wait for some odors upon the new painted monroes.
                  I was all the way home, shutdown for hours in the 40F driveway when it climbed out.

an old car wash odor.
                  Could have guessed. this truck has been treated good.
                  I am very curious as to age of the shocks. the bolts worked their way perfectly into no known measure. the nut side took a 19mm very sloppy, and got it out by kinking the socket and a 2 foot breaker.

I am guessing 10-15 years. The bolts are the give away someone went and did what they wanted putting these new cheap shocks in... long time ago.

explaining ionized, super conductors or rock paper scissors between alloys to a sloppy mechanic is hopeless..
                  I keep talking anyway.

it is the difference between winners and losers... Freedom to build and a speed limiter.
                  the truck being 8 times less in just the light circuit, this shock (ambiguous) subject is one of the motivations for the LED swapping.

when all else is good, it is my only known inevitable killer of aging vehicles. the electrical signature over all.
                  dry heat and a vegas desert run is not the world.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 3, 2017, 06:08 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• physics!

had a spell today after some good hefty rain. This truck does not get wet as in short circuit, it changes its ground ever so slightly..

I changed the front shocks, and knew something might gain a moodswing before they are really installed...the electrical side.

The ground side.

most likely an amp drop that liked the rain, the old greenboard ecm has to ablige. It was a bit stubborn today and would not fulfill the fuel pump relay prime.

Being familiar with this, after dropping 40 amps off the light circuit. I knew to just keep working the key, floor it with key on to generate some activity the ecm uses.

sure enough, it got going...
                    it has more power for reasons I know. It changed the volt level.. the front shocks are painted and young.

that is a very active spot for trucks.. the front shocks going way down near the ground. Ambiguous..."the ground."

thought I'd mention it.. don't haul off your aging chevy for these events. One can also swap relays around, but I know what my truck responds to.
                    this is a rare happening, and calling it dialed in for now.
                    the front shocks were so old... it may have one or two more spells, dropping the old pathways.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 7, 2017, 03:22 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• midnight ride

maybe its my age, but I am sick of spriting broze medal super stars walking like an olympian with all their pearly whites.

I am sick of internet mechanics.

my biggest video yet.
                      this has been my life for 30 years of self repair and DIY.
                      frames, engines, electrical, Xflares, blizzards, 25 below, 100 above, hurricanes, and everything else maine has to offer.
                      my DIY air conditioning.. the whole damn thing.
                      23 vehicles, have all been worked to pass this, my only test.

houlton to lagrange.
                      The video would be longer round trip.
                      2350 rpm
                      150 minutes
                      average speed 81
                      194 miles.
                      this is counting slower rte 16, and the ten minute pit stop in houlton.

try and average 81mph over 194 miles in your neighborhood.
                      good luck kids...
                      including you sloppy legends.

I am going to take a nap, while the AMHI worthy mental patient has finally stopped making noise.

my neighbor gene reminds me of most of the internet.
                      remember, exercise in front of everyone, for the 3 minutes they are there to challenge it.

edit:
                      seems I was driving for the big earthquake, mexico.

Name:	utc####up.JPG
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1173208

this is googles interpretation of 449 UTC AM
                      maybe the billionares can fix that.

for one, my locale is 5 hours behind.
                      that is 11:49:21 pm sept 7.

this is what happens when I drive my gmc at midnight.
                      the continent wiggles to the cold welded steel of the gothic north, and finds the weak point in mexico.

the random you tube thumbnail is ironic.
                      23:50 on my little g1w dash cam.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 8, 2017, 08:33 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• not to invade my big bad gmc of love..
                        I want a diesel as my dad goes into retirement.. and not only a diesel, but a manual trans.
                        he has 5 million miles gone by. I can guess what state of shock takes over when he is not dirving the big rig anymore.
                        this ford makes some mature noises if you let it.. the 6 speed (5?) is another familiar thing.

The ford 7.3 is one of my target.. and found this beauty on criagslist Click image for larger version

Name:	00o0o_jIW0TxwrXBY_1200x900.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1173282

while mending lower cab chores, I'd add steps for anyone.

it reminds of the vibe I got looking at my 96 gmc, in the ad.
                        This truck is a good deal, I can tell before seeing it.

I would not even talk down the price.

can't go get it, would love to.

meanwhile checked fluids today for the highway run last night.
                        gmc used nothing.
                        on the way I have a spot for my finger at the lower part of the steel hurst shift.. it tells me the temperature.
                        I do not believe this even sees 140F in the manual trans, after all those miles.

backwards rain to the hurricane mystery in the south, it shows how small america is at the east coast.
                        I figured to try the truck in the cold wetness, one day later..
                        northeast version is always the worst..and rare.
                        sparked right up feisty in the dark.

I knew it was the shocks... that bare iron of old changed the ground. I first learned this on the older GM carb trucks, but their alternators don't have a brain. Bizarre subject for many, it is every day here for me in the woods. The 96 has a proud primer now, the ecm knows to let some juices fly.
                        very smart.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 9, 2017, 08:41 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• proper bolts

Name:	index.jpg
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1173615

photo is reference

I had changed front shocks recently, bolts were so old they worked their way down to a size unknown to wrenches.
                          a Sunday...
                          my dad and I made a beeline to the hardware store, and I ended up with the wrong diameter.

this turned out to be important,especially the upper bolts.
                          all four need to be m12.
                          So I got 4 class 10.9 today.. swapped the upper.
                          the bottoms can wait for the garage.
                          I got those in with an air wrench.

elongating those top holes would bring a lengthy unnecessary chore.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 12, 2017, 11:21 AM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• The Ford (Navistar - or is it International again?) is a good engine and would have been my other choice but I happened to find the Dodge/Cummins first. I can assure you that the Cummins is a REAL Diesel and will last forever. Four WD manuals aren't too hard to come by. Mine ran 117.8 MPH with nothing but a speed limiter bypass and an Edge tuner so you can back-calculate the HP if you're in the mood. I like the Dodge body better than the Ford, not least because it's WAY prettier (at least to my eye). If you guys go with a Dodge I can tell you all of the stuff to upgrade but the basic truck is TOUGH!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              The Ford (Navistar - or is it International again?) is a good engine and would have been my other choice but I happened to find the Dodge/Cummins first. I can assure you that the Cummins is a REAL Diesel and will last forever. Four WD manuals aren't too hard to come by. Mine ran 117.8 MPH with nothing but a speed limiter bypass and an Edge tuner so you can back-calculate the HP if you're in the mood. I like the Dodge body better than the Ford, not least because it's WAY prettier (at least to my eye). If you guys go with a Dodge I can tell you all of the stuff to upgrade but the basic truck is TOUGH!

Dan
                              always looking.
                              I have determined the old 96 is beyond today, any automatic.
                              in fact just coming home today, I was passed by a super duty secondary road, both of us going by a dodge (I am easily humored)
                              and ya know, I have no limiter. No problem getting behind the big ford.

I let off at 130 on the highway a few years ago.. as tires are to doubt.
                              The quarter mile would have to be my shifting skills.
                              I guessed the 13s.

I also checked over my brothers 2003 silverado today, he got a good deal for rebuilding a house.
                              no codes, just needing its first a/c pump... and it is still working.
                              frame is great shape. Just over 100k miles.

I noticed an extra bracket, even my 96 has the spot for one.. below the frame on the front of the rear suspension.
                              his is factory, and fancy shaped.. but I noticed custom would be super easy. Click image for larger version

Name:	ANGLE-IRON.gif
Views:	30
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1173637

I did some measuring and went to home depot, grabbed their 3/16ths, 4 foot run..
                              8 class 10.9 m10 bolts, and am going to add the same brackets to my old gmc.

the frame is in great shape, may as well feed it the extras.
                              The holes are predrilled by gm.

my neighbor showed me his 8/95 gmc and the frame is simply gone.
                              looking closely, I again saw the real need for those brackets my brother has on his 2003.

The old 95 is the last of tbi and no alternator control.
                              the difference less than one year makes.. my own has the 4 wire controlled by ecm. first year ever.
                              I could almost take mine to a truck show and be proud in comparison.

anyway, going to add those brackets, will share photos. Click image for larger version

Name:	KPR20.png
Views:	31
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1173638

there I fixed the drawing. Click image for larger version

Name:	KPR201.jpg
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	1173662

the angled cuts to appearance, and on the front near the word angle iron, I can make my own hellacious connection for a draglink, or ladder bar.. all the nicknames for the extra pipe...if i want to.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 12, 2017, 09:09 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08463.JPG
Size:	639.4 KB
ID:	1173729 one brace in

was saving this for the garage.. but I had a die grinder to make holes, and my little cutoff wheel. The chore takes longer.

Will finish by cutting it back on the front side, with a fancy angle.
                                One more bolt centered between a brace that holds the tank.
                                the back end of the brace needed nothing.
                                a quick ride, and i noticed reverse does not want to hop the back end.
                                Not much else to notice.
                                I do not even have it all hooked up yet. Just one side mostly done.

photos as it sits now.
                                maybe I'll get a 2 ton half ton out of this after all.
                                one step at a time. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08465.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	1173709

Name:	DSC08466.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	1173710

Name:	DSC08467.JPG
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	1173711

Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 13, 2017, 04:45 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X