No announcement yet.

Time For THIS Post!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes me quite a while to "get home" from a racing event. It actually becomes overwhelming later, as it all digests. What just happened? It's all too much fun. Whether it's land speed or a road course, it takes a while to land from the high.

First, if there was a crew. The crew could help and maybe even take photos. This one is from the ECTA FB page.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Red.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	1204018

And secondly, I've posted this photo already, but danged if the graphics on that Arkansas Challenge sticker don't look exactly like the black glue crap on Red's roof. Nearly an exact fingerprint match. Say it ain't so. It's so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof Goop.JPG Views:	1 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	1204019
    Last edited by pdub; June 7, 2018, 10:06 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The mirrors may be a pain to remove, I have had cars that the door panel had to be removed to get the mirrors off. I don't remember that my Mark VIII picked up when I removed the mirrors. The guy driving his wife's Benz picked up a little by just folding the side mirrors in.

you want the oil to be warm and the coolent to be cool. If you can get the intake air cooler it will (should) make more power

for the air dam I would go buy a used bumper cover and make a dam about 2" off the ground. That you can take off for the drive to the track.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

WOW.... those are easy to remove!
        Last edited by silver_bullet; June 8, 2018, 07:27 AM.
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

for the air dam I would go buy a used bumper cover and make a dam about 2" off the ground. That you can take off for the drive to the track.

I didn't realize that you have a water to air intercooler system.... It would take a bit of engineering, but superman might be able to explain in person.... set up a bypass loop to bypass the intercooler radiator and run the bypass to and from the trunk... in the trunk, fit the biggest cooler you can and pack it full of ice.... run as much of a loop as you can fit of pipe through the cooler .... eh voila! a homebuilt charge cooler! switch the valves right before you make your run.... that will keep your intake a lot cooler than the radiator exposed to the ambient (HOT) air....just remember to limit the charge cooling to your banzai run... make the ice last longer....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

SOOOO much appreciated advice, but I don't think any or all of that is worth three tenths. Especially when all I'm convinced about is I need a cooler day.

I've led you guys down a road to lots of ideas, but y'all are a whole lot more serious about this than I am. A cooler day. I've slept on it a time or two, Bluebelle in September, and Red again in April, when it's cooler. 150.0 will look great on a time slip, and the game will be won with no parts required.
            Last edited by pdub; June 7, 2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

There are so many things to think about, I'm being honest here, I'm still "getting home" from that race event. Days later, my head is still spinning.

When Red was getting such a go-over inspection, there was a guy standing there watching. I didn't realize it, but he was listening intently to the conversation between the inspector and me. The inspector finally said, give me a minute....and he walked off with the rule book.

I turned around shaking my head and there was this guy. He had been standing there the whole time, listening to it all. And then he and I started talking about it all. From what I gathered, he was there with a car, and he was concerned about inspection, too. He was bent on following the rules until his last run of the event, and then he was gonna turn it loose. No matter what.

I told him, "Dude, don't do that, unless you never want to come back here again." He said But I claim my foot slipped onto the gas pedal.... I said NO, these folks have seen it all, You don't want to be That Guy.

I'd never met him before in my life and we didn't even swap names. And since I wasn't there I don't know what he did on Sunday.

Comment

That does happen .. and when it does ... that person is banned from the track. They may never return, with another car or on a team .. Persona non grata - never. Has far reaching consequences and a ring of finality that some do not fully comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  That does happen .. and when it does ... that person is banned from the track. They may never return, with another car or on a team .. Persona non grata - never. Has far reaching consequences and a ring of finality that some do not fully comprehend.
                  Well said, and I hope I did well enough trying to inform the stranger.

I'll not forget the guy in the Vette in Ohio who went 175 on his 125 rookie pass and posted a video of it on FaceBook while he was parked way down in the shutdown area. I happened to be standing near Turk when he caught wind of it......he was most displeased to say the least. I'll bet that Vette guy can't even buy a ticket to the Super Bowl ever again. Turk was every bit THAT mad.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    Well, it won't let me edit the post on this laptop. The only point to make is, Ron Ward is here calling the race on the FM radio. I couldn't hear it, Red has no radio, I missed the best part of it all, but Ron and I finally got to meet in person. You GO Ron!
                    It was an awesome surprise to finally meet you, pdub! Thanks for taking the time to come up and say hello. That really meant a lot! Good luck with Red in the future and I hope to see you again!
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post

It was an awesome surprise to finally meet you, pdub! Thanks for taking the time to come up and say hello. That really meant a lot! Good luck with Red in the future and I hope to see you again!
                      Ditto my friend. And I will be there again. Let's plan better and allow more time next time. I was surprised YOU were there. We can make a visit of it, and let's do.

Comment

That sounds great! Looking forward to some conversation!
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                          That sounds great! Looking forward to some conversation!
                          Yeah, and what I told you about my hand.....months and months later it's coming back. In weeks-long increments Let's talk before the September event. We may need to be packing some hardware after all.

Comment

One more thing and I may possibly shut up. It's been a whole week and my brain is nearly "back home."

If anybody goes and runs at Arkansas, that turnoff in the shutdown area is somehow disorienting. Maybe because I made so many runs in Ohio, I was expecting something like that but it's not. It's nearly hard to figure out when to turn onto it, even after the walkdown tour. It's odd. And then you have to make a really sharp turn to the right to get on the road back to the registration trailer/start line.

My first 4 runs, I drove past that sharp turn. It's disorienting. And I'm still going about 70 mph and finally see it so I had to make a road course tire squalling turn to get going in the right direction. Like, I was going on a tour of the airport past all of those dead airplanes over there.

About the third time I did that AGAIN, the guy in shutdown waved me down, only to ask, "Are you alright?"

Yeah, I'm okay. It may not look like it from what I'm doing, but I'm okay. Never better, in fact.

Comment

Working...
                            X