If a person.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a person.......

had a car with 845 crank horse power and was able to hit 178 mph, any idea's of how much more it would take to get to 200 mph. Leaving the car as is aerodynamically and driveline except engine changes and whatever needed to meet tech?
    First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
    Second place SSBBNA 2016
    Third place SSBBNA 2017
    Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
    All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

You should have the HP to get you there. What will slow you down is the safety stuff. You'll need a rulebook (either ECTA or SCTA - they're pretty similar) and start following the requirements. For openers you'll need a full containment style seat and/or a funny car style cage, a 10lb and a 5 lb fire system (both, minimum), and of course, a 'chute. There are 2 major considerations: impact and fire resistance. On the fire thing, keep in mind that not only do you want to prevent or stop a fire but you also have to be concerned with the offgassing of anything that does burn - plastics make nasty fumes.

As far as the vehicle: Aero matters. Again, read your rulebook. You'll want to pick a class then determine what you can do in that class to help aero. In my class (D/T, Diesel Truck) I'm allowed an air dam but EVERYTHING from there back has to be as built. No taping seams, rear spoiler, filling the gap between the bed and the cab, etc. Depending on how badly you think you'll need aero improvements you might pick a different class that allows more mods (Competition Coupe, for example though I don't know your car). Keep in mind that in, for example, PROduction classes any aero bits that were fitted from the factory on your body style can be used. For example (I'm saying "for example" a lot but these are pretty general inputs), the Z-28 style rear whale tail and side spats were legal on my '78 Camaro though I only used the whale tail.

I'm not the ultimate arbitor on this stuff by a long shot but I hope I gave you some things to think about.

Good luck!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 18, 2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dan, All good info. I ran the 177 at Wilmington 2016 tech'd to 175. Got a seat and Hans from Mr. Timney, Added another bar to my cage, advise from tech, Bumped the 5# to a 10# system. Going to drop the car about 2 1/2" in Drag race form now. Better tires and narrower. Cable the CalTracs bars. Also am looking into different hood and maybe some other areodynamic's. At a spot right now where I can do some engine changes and was wondering in what direction with the engine to head for. More compression from 14:1 now, 2 4's on top from a single 4 barrel. Better heads. $$$$$$$$$$$. First get tech for 200. You do think 845 hp should get me close, I was thinking 190 I'd be happy with what I have. Thanks again. Vince
      Second place SSBBNA 2016
      Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

The difference from 175 to 200+ is HUGE ... at these speeds, aero is more important than horsepower.

Comment

Thank you, Kinda like drag racing, every little step needs bigger shoes, I think that came out right.
          Second place SSBBNA 2016
          Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

Actually, I'll clarify my previous comment with an amendment; not more important ... rather more speed per dollar invested by aero changes. You can spend mega-bucks on enough horsepower to push a brick to 200mph, but it's more economical to work aero in conjunction, so you obtain the maximum benefit from the horsepower that you've already got.

I once asked Keith Turk what it took to get to 200mph and he told me; "More horsepower than you think and more money than you've got." Wise words ...

Comment

Not sure if I remember these numbers correctly. Seems like I was once told ruffly in a (very?) good aero car 100 HP = 100 MPH, 300 HP = 150 MPH, 600 HP = 200 MPH. There is a formula to calculate power needed it's exponential.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                Not sure if I remember these numbers correctly. Seems like I was once told ruffly in a (very?) good aero car 100 HP = 100 MPH, 300 HP = 150 MPH, 600 HP = 200 MPH. There is a formula to calculate power needed it's exponential.
                I've heard similar numbers though it depends on aero as you go faster. HP can trump aero but you need progressively more of it if the aero's bad.

Dan

Comment

If the 178 was your true peak speed, to go 200 you need 41% more HP just for the aero drag, other stuff is pretty small. HP needed goes up with the cube of velocity. 200 is 12% more than 178. 1.12 cubed is about 1.41. So you need about 1200. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X