Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules

I am building a pickup truck to possibly enter some land speed stuff. A section of the rule book states that body panels must be in the "original relationship to each other".

Does this apply to the cab floor and bed floor?
    Last edited by htrdharley; July 11, 2017, 09:53 AM.

Are you talking ECTA or SCTA ?

Comment

Rule book I have is SCTA, but I would want it to be legal in ECTA also.

Comment

The rulebooks are pretty close. There are general rules covering floor mods. I'm more familiar with the Diesel truck rules and I don't have my rulebooks here in FL to check but I'm semi-sure that you can only modify the floors to accommodate an engine swap - I think it states something about "there can be no aerodynamic advantage" or something like that.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; July 11, 2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I concur with Dan .. no aerodynamic advantage. If you are thinking of something like a belly pan, that changes the class your vehicle fits into. Most attempts to "gain an unfair advantage" (commonly referred to by layman as "cheating") have already been tried and rules created to thwart same. If you have identified a new loophole, I'm very interested in hearing about it.

I recall a truck at Maxton that had two big holes cut out of the bed for exhaust outlet routing, which obviously allowed undercarriage pressure to be significantly relieved. Great aero improvement, but not in the spirit of the rules. Keith put the kabash on that real quick.

Comment

Steve & Dan, thanks for the input.

The chassis is a custom build, the floor and bed mods are more to fit the body down over the new chassis. Which brings up another question, stock body on an aftermarket chassis, how does that affect which class it runs?

I am still reading through the rules and trying to understand them and how possible changes at an event can change the class you run. This is certainly different than anything I have ever done.

I am sure I will have more questions soon.

Comment

Hey Lars, I bet that Tonya has some leftover 2016 ECTA rule-books and since they are not operating this year, I think she would probably send you one.

Also, the previous ECTA President and all round good guy, Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works is an excellent resource for these types of inquiries. But go ahead and ask away .. we'll do our best to answer.

Comment

It's super important that you select the class you want to run. There's the engine class (displacement, blown/unblown, fuel or gas) and then the body class. There are classes for mini-pickups, modified, etc. and the differences are about what you're allowed for body mods. So you'll need to pick a body class then build to those rules. Of course you'll need a roll cage, fire system, belts/seat, etc. regardless of class. Wish I had my rulebooks here......

If you check the SCTA book you'll find a listing of the committee head for each body class categogy. Call him/her. They'll welcome questions and you'll find them helpful. Their goal is to help you get thru tech w/o hassle.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; July 12, 2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks again, I am will get an ECTA rule book and make a few calls.

Comment

Before we even get to the specific class rules, there is a General Competition Requirement to consider.

2C FRAME / CHASSIS
                    Except where specifically forbidden by class rules, any design frame may be used. The frame design is subject to the approval of the Contest Board and must be of sufficient strength to resist flex or twist. The burden of proof of the strength of the frame design lies with the entrant.

From the ECTA website contacts page;

Tonya Turk
                    206 Sylvan Dr
                    Enterprise, AL 36330
                    (334) 806-5749 Daytime CST
                    (334) 347-6566 nights and weekends
                    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Steve.

Comment

Working...
                      X