No announcement yet.

Cowl Intake (not cowl induction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How you doing Walt? Hope all are well and content. And yes, you're relevant.

Dan

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by YELLA BRICK View Post
        I'm sure you guys all know all the following, but these are my own observations.

Intakes through the headlight openings and the use of 'snouts' are the ideal way of obtaining an effective 'ram air' source.(if class rules allow) The faster ya go the more 'ram' !

When building my car, I studied a LOT of salt and lake cars that were using ram air systems. I designed the front of 'the YELLA BRICK' to obtain 'clean' cooler air when running 150 plus in the desert in Open Road Racing. 24 inches off the pavement see's a 10-15 degree difference in ambient air temp. I originally was going to use the front bumper then add my dam off of it, however, as the bumper would be out front a tad, I deduced that it would spoil / dirty up the airstream into the headlight openings, thus I went with what I now have, which is clean uninterupted airflow into the ram air system.
        Holes in front of nose, limit down force and add drag.. And why the cowl/base of windsheld is a better spot for Air intake

Comment

I've been trying to collect all the parts to convert my Vette to the L88 intake set-up on the big block stinger hoods ... that stuff ain't cheap !

Comment

Regardless of if the headlight is better (likely is), it's not class legal for production which is my base class. My choices kinda are in the grill or in the cowl if I don't want to just suck out of the engine bay.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
              Regardless of if the headlight is better (likely is), it's not class legal for production which is my base class. My choices kinda are in the grill or in the cowl if I don't want to just suck out of the engine bay.
              I think that in all classes it's legal to duct the air inlet out of the engine bay and suck the air from a cool area. If you look at Mutt's build thread you'll see the design I'm talking about. While there is some advantage to some form of ram air, at least grabbing cool air is a good thing. I'll be building a similar system for the Volvo as soon as the parts get here.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X