No announcement yet.

ECTA New Racetrack Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an old military base in michigan that my father had looked at for a test spot for our lakester. It could be a great place. I am sorry for my post that includes almost zero real info. I'll ask my father about it next time I see him. I'll post the info and/or send it to the ECTA.

Comment

That would be great. Sounds like Wurtsmuth AFB (sp?) in Oscoda and I know they already know about that one though there may be others, too. Keith and Tonya and Brian and Kerri all have their contact info on the ECTA website <ECTA-LSR.com> so you can contact them directly. If you'll put "Potential Track Site" or something like that in the title they'll know it isn't spam.

Dan

Comment

Well, years ago, my father contacted the ECTA about the retired runway, back when they were looking for a new place to run. They didn't seem to take him seriously at all. Why aren't we using the Ohio mile any more? I heard that somebody crashed into some expensive gear at the end of the runway, but I didn't hear that it resulted in the ECTA getting booted out.

Comment

My sister keeping some shade over the car while my father gets ready to climb in. Ohio Mile 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by TugBoat123 View Post
            Well, years ago, my father contacted the ECTA about the retired runway, back when they were looking for a new place to run. They didn't seem to take him seriously at all. Why aren't we using the Ohio mile any more? I heard that somebody crashed into some expensive gear at the end of the runway, but I didn't hear that it resulted in the ECTA getting booted out.
            A couple of reasons. As related to the crash you mentioned, there were serious issues with insurance. It's always tough to get insurance for an auto race event of any sort and it got harder when this event occurred - and expensive.

But also, Wilmington nearly nailed Amazon as a client for that landing strip and they determined that they HAVE to find someone who wants to use that hunk of concrete as a airport. The town needs the jobs badly and we can't fault them for going after that business. So now we look.

If it was Wurtsmuth they have that on their radar screen so your Dad's input WAS heard.

Dan

Comment

Yeah. I completely understand their desire to help their town prosper.
              I wonder if the level of difficulty in acquiring affordable insurance for a race event varies between different states. I sure hope that the ECTA works something out with Wurtsmuth. I live in Michigan and it would be very convenient for me. However, last year, they were not happy with the lack of front brakes on our car. Also, if we were to run ECTA events regularly, we would also want to change out our rear end. Our car is (obviously) set up for Bonneville.

Comment

I just spoke with my father. It was Wurtsmuth. Apparently, years ago, he had made arrangements to use that runway for us to drive our car. He had come to an agreement on the price, and he was looking for a couple other LSR teams to split the costs with him. It would have been really nice to use that with a few other racers, but he ran into the same issue that you were talking about. Insurance. It was just too expensive. He had also spoken to the chamber of commerce in Oscoda, and they were all for it. I guess that some old school drag racer is currently using that facility, but not for racing. He is running some sort of jet engine maintenance company out of it. Years ago, he wanted to use the runway for drag racing but was told "no". I heard that the city didn't like the noise issue. LSR is only done during the day-time, as opposed to drag racing, which is often done at night. I wonder if that will make any difference for the ECTA. Plus, LSR people have a good reputation. We are (for the most part) not wild, rowdy, rude, etc. I really hope Oscoda works out. It's only maybe a couple hours from my house. I know I would attend every event possible. What could my father do to help make this happen? He says he emailed somebody (I can't remember the name he gave me) at the ECTA 4 or 6 weeks ago, with no reply. He's going to try again. I'm excited. Can I assume that you would make the trip to Michigan from North Carolina, Dan?

Comment

Originally posted by TugBoat123 View Post
                  I just spoke with my father. It was Wurtsmuth. Apparently, years ago, he had made arrangements to use that runway for us to drive our car. He had come to an agreement on the price, and he was looking for a couple other LSR teams to split the costs with him. It would have been really nice to use that with a few other racers, but he ran into the same issue that you were talking about. Insurance. It was just too expensive. He had also spoken to the chamber of commerce in Oscoda, and they were all for it. I guess that some old school drag racer is currently using that facility, but not for racing. He is running some sort of jet engine maintenance company out of it. Years ago, he wanted to use the runway for drag racing but was told "no". I heard that the city didn't like the noise issue. LSR is only done during the day-time, as opposed to drag racing, which is often done at night. I wonder if that will make any difference for the ECTA. Plus, LSR people have a good reputation. We are (for the most part) not wild, rowdy, rude, etc. I really hope Oscoda works out. It's only maybe a couple hours from my house. I know I would attend every event possible. What could my father do to help make this happen? He says he emailed somebody (I can't remember the name he gave me) at the ECTA 4 or 6 weeks ago, with no reply. He's going to try again. I'm excited. Can I assume that you would make the trip to Michigan from North Carolina, Dan?
                  I'll go wherever the track is. Please know that I have no special knowledge - I'm just a long-time LSR racer who has run ECTA since I've known about it.

I'm a Michigan native so a part of me would like to see it there but in general the ECTA has favored a more southerly location. Remember that ECTA is a privately held corporation and so they have their preferences and needs and will work to meet those as well as the needs of the racers. You or your Dad will need to contact Keith & Tonya and/or Brian & Kerri as they're the owners and the decision makers. As I said, I know they're aware of Wurtsmuth and several other facilities around the country and they have a solid lead on a place for 2018 though they haven't released any details (I'm not sure everything is nailed down yet).

While MI would, of course, be a great location from your point of view it may not meet the needs of a high percentage of our racers. I know it's not the best for me though it WOULD allow us to hang with the Grands a few weekends a year. We have lots of racers in the Southland and many more scattered all over the eastern half of the country so I'm sure they're looking to be as central as possible given the few appropriate potential venues. Finding an LSR track in the East (as in, east of the Mississippi) is NOT an easy task! And remember that the track isn't all of it - what about motel space, dining facilities, etc? And the ever-present need for insurance.

But rest assured that the ECTA folks are doing everything they can to get us a long-term, safe, and raceable (is that a word?) facility that we can live with and get back to running.

Dan

Comment

It's time to find a location down South !

Comment

Latest info hot off the ECTA Website:

Sadly, no racing for 2017. Brian lays out the situation in depth on the website but basically a couple of promising Ohio locations haven't worked out and they continue to search.

I'm sure we'll all help any way we can.

Dan

Comment

Too bad. I hope, like all of us do, something can be put together for the 2018 season.

Comment

That's a shame. At least I'm still gonna be heading to speedweek this year. The car and a few of the guys will arrive on the 11th. I won't be getting there until the 14th, and I'll be leaving on the 17th. I'm really disappointed that I wasn't able to work out a way to spend a couple more days on the salt, but sometimes "life" happens. Any of you ECTA folks gonna head west for speedweek this year? I'd love to see some of you in the pits.

Comment

I'll be in Florida instead and am very disappointed. Can't be helped. I was all set up to resume my job in Impound - hopefully next year......

Dan

Comment

Patiently waiting.

Comment

Everybody is ... I think this interim is going to be a long one.

Comment

Working...
                                X