Bob's Blown Modified Mini Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's Blown Modified Mini Pickup

Tomorrow I go and "pickup" the hulk of our start towards Bonneville in 2015. We have the parts substantially rounded up, it'll be about getting the build done.

Our goals are modest, but nonetheless difficult for 2015. In 8 months we want to build a tech-able, safe, vehicle that will get a number of us licenses. We'll go for it big time in 2016.

Pictures this weekend.
    I'm still learning

Must......have.......pictures.

Sounds like a cool project. Let me warn you - a simple engine swap takes 2 years. I know this from recent personal experience.

Dan

Comment

Dan, this is much more than an engine swap.

I've got it home, so pictures soon.

It is the definition of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post

Function over form, nothing wrong with that............So where are the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post

Just teasin' ya. Mine wasn't a "simple swap" either - but it DID take 2 years. For years my bro called my projects "Silk Purse 1, 2, 3," etc. I know all about the silk purse thing.

Dan

Comment

Engine swaps - the ESSENCE of hot rodding !
            http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

We're crossbreeding these two. 1972 Datsun 521 pickup. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1010869[/ATTACH]
              Last edited by Bob Holmes; February 22, 2015, 07:50 PM.
              I'm still learning

Comment

We'll start tearing the pickup apart this evening. We hope to have the cab, fenders and bed off, and the frame on its way back to Chico in a bit over a week.
                I'm still learning

Comment

Rock On!! If I had a budget maybe mine would have gone more quickly - or maybe not.........

Dan

Comment

The cab is free from the frame, and we're about two bolts from the same for the bed. My oldest son is helping out, as well as my normal partner in crime, Scott.

We hope to have the frame rolled out from under everything tomorrow. We'll give it a good look, and then make a decision on whether or not we'll have it professionally sand blasted, or if its not too bad we'll just wire wheel it.

Things are on track so far.

Our other partners in crime have come to the conclusion that, to get as low as we want to go, we'll probably go with a solid suspension. I trust their judgement.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Pics of the project as you go along please ...

Comment

A truck like this?
                        Joe Timney
                        President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
                        Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

That is sweet Joe !

Comment

Very similar, Joe. According to our Datsun expert (he's really into that scene, and has a bunch of 510s in his shop) the one you have is the model after ours. Ours was built from 1969 to 1972, I think the transition was in '72 to your model.

I did show a picture of yours to our group. I'm "diggin" what you're "doin." I wish they made an extended cab for our year, one of our drivers is 6'4".

Last night we started cleaning up the frame. Pulled all the wiring, brake lines, transmission, driveshaft etc. etc. We talked to our fabricating partners about rustmorting and rustoleum painting the frame, but they want bare metal.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Joe, another question.

I assume that we can mini-tub and remove the inner fender wells. We certainly need to do that in the back and the front. Everything I've read has to do with retaining the "exterior" sheet metal and also states that we can't channel the frame. I'm seeing nothing pertaining to the wheel wells.
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                              X