Big truck drag racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big truck drag racing

Most likely IS a Cat......could be a Cummins, not many at all doing this stuff with a S60 Detroit.

The E-model Cats lend themselves to this kind of tuning very well.....the fact that they make the power and TORQUE they do at a stock level as a starting point makes it that much more logical to use them. I was raised on Cummins engines, and worked for them as my last "wrench"job......I do still like the old mechanical 855's, but it's outdated technology.

The "biggest" engine I've ever had in a truck was an E-model Cat in a '98 379 ext.-hood Pete...550 HP, 18-speed.....3.55 rears, 280" wheelbase.

I pulled over 118K on one load.....the thing didn't even break a sweat, and this was on a 90 degree day.

Too bad Caterpillar is getting OUT of the Class 8 truck engine market.....they just can't meet EPA regs, and are done fighting with them.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
      Most likely IS a Cat......could be a Cummins, not many at all doing this stuff with a S60 Detroit.

The E-model Cats lend themselves to this kind of tuning very well.....the fact that they make the power and TORQUE they do at a stock level as a starting point makes it that much more logical to use them. I was raised on Cummins engines, and worked for them as my last "wrench"job......I do still like the old mechanical 855's, but it's outdated technology.

The "biggest" engine I've ever had in a truck was an E-model Cat in a '98 379 ext.-hood Pete...550 HP, 18-speed.....3.55 rears, 280" wheelbase.

I pulled over 118K on one load.....the thing didn't even break a sweat, and this was on a 90 degree day.

Too bad Caterpillar is getting OUT of the Class 8 truck engine market.....they just can't meet EPA regs, and are done fighting with them.
      Can you blame them? They still have a lucrative market elsewhere. Makes me wonder when/ if the OE's (automotive) might end this way?

Comment

I think Atco in NJ still does Big Rig drags once a year. I've got back issues of Overdrive back to 74', thats where they had their events. I think thats where the beginning of Smokey and the Bandit was filmed, no?
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

550 hp and 280 wb..Dayum...thats large!!!
          "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

280 is comfortable....the BIG steppers are stretchin' 300" WB.

Smooth as glass over expansion joints and rough roads, but a pain in the ass if you're bumpin' docks.......plus the eventuality of stress on the frame.

Aluminum frames were the best-riding....but cracking and corrosion were common and frequent.

Comment

Working...
            X