Man-eating engine.

Comment

• Re: Pic of the day.

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        What in the Sam Hill is that thing?!

Brian
        A Napier Deltic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_deltic

3D animation http://rowla.dyndns.org/justin/img/piston_deltic320.mpg (May take a moment or two to load)

Comment

I was waiting for someone to say something, kinda surprised it was you BOSteve.

I want to go LSR with one, they say the HP limit on the 18cylinder version is 5500hp and being a 2stroke Diesel, who knows how much torque that would equate to. Bet it would also make a killer tractor pull engine.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Definitely my favorite odd-ball engine. I think the design is fantastic, but it's complexity has kept it from being a more common engine.
            Could you imagine turbocharging one of those?!!

Also, have you seen this model that Clennell Tomlinson made? I haven't seen any updates for some time, but apparently all he needed to do was sort the ignition out. With that, I'll assume his model run on gasoline/nitro and not diesel.
            An ignition for this would be no mean feat for an 18 cylinder 2 stroke!

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm

Could you imagine being a master cnc designer and operator, owning a 5 axis, and having the time and money to make what you like??
            Now that would be Heaven on Earth. Check out the component pics in the above link.. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-Casella
              Originally posted by Buickguy
              Originally posted by ls7gto
              Dont remember if I posted this one before

I bet the Studebaker has aged better then she did.
              46 - 48 Nash ;D
              from this angle I thought it was a stude, thanksfor the correction
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                Definitely my favorite odd-ball engine. I think the design is fantastic, but it's complexity has kept it from being a more common engine.
                Could you imagine turbocharging one of those?!!

Also, have you seen this model that Clennell Tomlinson made? I haven't seen any updates for some time, but apparently all he needed to do was sort the ignition out. With that, I'll assume his model run on gasoline/nitro and not diesel.
                An ignition for this would be no mean feat for an 18 cylinder 2 stroke!

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm

Could you imagine being a master cnc designer and operator, owning a 5 axis, and having the time and money to make what you like??
                Now that would be Heaven on Earth. Check out the component pics in the above link.. Awesome!

Its still in use in British minesweepers, the T9 version even and several other vessels used them in either the T18 or the smaller T9.
                I hope he finishes that thing, its an amazing piece of work considering the entire thing is billet, no castings.
                It is turboed, that afterburner looking thing is the exhauste housing of the massive turbo. Remember this thing requires forced induction to work since the crank case does not do the pumping. The big power one was a turbo-compound unit using a Neene turbojet compressor section, it was the one that blew the stock rods out of the T18 block at 5600hp!
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I realized there was a turbo-blower on it because it's a 2-stroke, but does it actually make boost?

Comment

That engine is uber duber badass. I just learned about something new for today - Napier Deltic engines, sweeeeet. ;D

I bought a book from the 40's describing contemporary high performance engines and engines in development. There was a little chapter on jet engines, but oddly also a chapter all about forced induction two stroke diesels. Kinda sucks that we haven't gotten 2 strokes to run as clean as we'd like.

Comment

For Groucho
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

I LOVE THIS CAR AND PICTURE!!! it has it all, racemasters,fenderwells , tow bar brackets and the right stance.
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

ok here is a studebaker ;D
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Reading , Pa
                            Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                              I LOVE THIS CAR AND PICTURE!!! it has it all, racemasters,fenderwells , tow bar brackets and the right stance.

HOOO FAAAAAAAA

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

last one for tonight might have posted before.
                                Reading , Pa
                                Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Working...
                                X