Pic of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pic of the day.

When the weather gets funky WPAFB routes its planes down low and underneath of the weather for aproaches and landings. This was taken a few days ago as I got out of the car in Kroger's parking lot..Ummm grocery store....
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496
        When the weather gets funky WPAFB routes its planes down low and underneath of the weather for aproaches and landings. This was taken a few days ago as I got out of the car in Kroger's parking lot..Ummm grocery store....
        I live right next to Burbank Airport. The noise ain't so bad. But it'd be a lot more fun if it came from military aircraft
        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
          Originally posted by oldsman496
          I live right next to Burbank Airport. The noise ain't so bad. But it'd be a lot more fun if it came from military aircraft
          C-5 Galaxy. Noisy mother...but definetly cool.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Big, not really noisy when compared to any fighter.

I rode on one of those going to and from Okinawa. No frills airlines, no hotty stews, no movies, box lunches, seats face backwards with a great view of the cargo doors. Ack.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Today was a very eargasmic day

Comment

Hawt....event hotter with the Alan Green Chevrolet Lic Plate holder!

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

It was the first 67 Z I have ever seen in the flesh, there was another there also... actually got the other one starting up on video so I can salivate with the press of a button lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

I rode on one of those going to and from Okinawa. No frills airlines, no hotty stews, no movies, box lunches, seats face backwards with a great view of the cargo doors. Ack.
                    I don't know about that, those things are way louder than the F-15E's I worked on or the F-16's I've been around. Maybe on the inside its not so loud but I could hear a C-5 from a long way off in level flight, the fast burners even at takeoff didn't seem that loud.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                      Originally posted by Rebeldryver

I don't know about that, those things are way louder than the F-15E's I worked on or the F-16's I've been around. Maybe on the inside its not so loud but I could hear a C-5 from a long way off in level flight, the fast burners even at takeoff didn't seem that loud.
                      I lived near Travis AFB for years and listened them fly around, take off and land. Very quiet compared the B-52's, F-4's in diamond fours, SR-71's, and my Dad's RC-135. Those all would rattle the dishes, make the dog howl, and over power the TV.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I thought the C-5 was no longer in service? Lived near Dobbins Air Base when I was a kid. C-5's would come in real low for landings. They would be going so slow it looked like the thing should just drop out of the sky. They were loud, but the fighters were louder. If I'm remembering correctly, the Wright Brothers could have made their first flight inside the cargo bay of a C-5.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Makes me want to lean back from the monitor. :o

Comment

Dam!!! ;D
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Ah.... yes, a B-52 and the allmighty Rinho will truck the C-5 and the J-57 engined KC-135 based platforms also were are real noise rattlers.

C-5 is as loud as I've heard for stuff in active service. They are in the hands of the reserve mostly though I think Dover still has an active unit. Dobbins (more correctly the Lockheed plant there) does the airframe and cockpit upgrades now so they still go in and out of the same strip.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the C-5's made a hell of a racket, but the fighters lighting the afterburners when they are right over you were louder. I lived a couple of blocks from Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. When Tennessee played Air Force a couple years ago, some fighter jockeys did a low altitude fly-by and nailed it over the stadium the morning before the game. Every car alarm for miles around was going off. The walls shook at my place. The random crap on my coffee table was dancing. Hungover college kids were stumbling out into the street to see if a bomb just went off or something. Never had a C-5 do that.
                                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X