panic has set in !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panic has set in !!!!!

on feb 11 2014 my daughter will be 15.... than means 8 minths from now she will be able to get her drivers permit...
    she really into tranformers ,she wants a bumble bee Camaro..i told her there was no way she would get a new Camaro for her first car... she spotted the 77 in the first movie and now wants one... so now im on the look for a 74-77 Camaro..builder/driver ,,im open to anything ..future plans are a 5.3/4L60E ,disc brake 9'',cowl hood, 5 spoke cragers , yellow /black strips,.. a roll bar and good harnesses... HELP!!!!!

Seems like that would be a car fairly easy to score and not all that expensive.
    Might start checking local CL's adv.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I got my son a 1970 camaro when he was 16. 6 cyl, powerglide.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
        on feb 11 2014 my daughter will be 15.... than means 8 minths from now she will be able to get her drivers permit...
        she really into tranformers ,she wants a bumble bee Camaro..i told her there was no way she would get a new Camaro for her first car... she spotted the 77 in the first movie and now wants one... so now im on the look for a 74-77 Camaro..builder/driver ,,im open to anything ..future plans are a 5.3/4L60E ,disc brake 9'',cowl hood, 5 spoke cragers , yellow /black strips,.. a roll bar and good harnesses... HELP!!!!!
        Is she sharp (specific) enough to tell you the ones with the metal bumpers, or can we go 70-81 in our search? Budget range? You could probably tame this one down pretty easily.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4233821701.html

Last edited by Beagle; December 21, 2013, 03:51 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

searchtempest shows a black theft recovery for 1250.00 in OKC -

one in wichita for 2500 that looks from the rough picture like somebody might have put a 81 front end on

Comment

shes more concerned about the right look... a pre74 wouldn't work...a plastic bumpered one would though... not sure what on cost yet..still trying to figure out what they are going for we talked about my 73 ,but the frontend is not close enough... besides I have plans for it..

Comment

Too bad she doesn't want a bird, could hook her right up with that.

Comment

How's the search going? This was kinda high but looked like a really clean foundation (well, not clean, but the body looks straight and they claim "no rust".

it's kinda cool to see one that close to original. The A/C is still in it, makes me think somebody took decent care of it.
                Last edited by Beagle; January 17, 2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

take her go-karting - then no matter what you buy, she'll be a lot more capable of handling the car (and recognizing the boys that talk a great game).
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Flip her the keys to the HJ . . . Just sayin'

Comment

I say this without any malice or cruel intentions, put her in an under-powered car to start - if it's a wheezing 305, all the better or a wheezing 250 inline. After a year of (fill in the blank, perfect attendance at school, no tickets, no breaking curfew, etc)
                      THEN put some improvements into the car....
                      coming from a guy who watched too many kids wreck too many nice cars in HS - don't set her up to fail - set her up for a lesson she will carry along the rest of her life DELAYED GRATIFICATION - like smith barney - make her EARN it.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Any kid should have some "sweat equity" in their first car. They'll probably be less likely to tear it up.

I'm also in favor of the following:

1. Above all, first cars should be good handling (that is forgiving and with fairly high limits and above-average brakes, because kids don't know where the edge is until you formally train them (i.e. on a race track and in bad weather) and get them some meaningful seat time. (That rule causes me to rule out most vehicles with a high center of gravity and high weight bias to either axle, as well as traditional American luxury cars)

2. I don't like first cars that can carry more than one passenger (you don't want a carload of distracting kids partying in there, nor do you want your kid accidently killing a carload of youngsters . . . no back seat also can help reduce the probability of early grandparenthood, if you know what I mean).

3. First cars shouldn't be "nerdy" (probably more important with show-off prone boys) so that young drivers won't feel the need to take risks to impress their friends (some of the most conservative drivers when I was a kid had the bitchinest cars and knew they didn't have to drive 'em hard at all to be "cool" . . . The crazy people almost always had a wussified, lo-po hooptie they were ashamed to be seen in)

4. First cars shouldn't be cop magnets (self explanatory to parents who have to subsidize insurance coverage . . . the Po-Po love to "profile" newbies and still love to bust young "tuners" and "hot rodders" . . . sort of sleepy is good here)

5. I tend to like first cars that have some extra safety gear (so long as it's not goofy) . . . An Autopower bar or even well-padded cage and a wink five-panel are good "racing" additions that will help protect against mishaps. However, most cars with bolt-in bars tend to be "cop magnets" (unless they're old and European)

6. First cars should be interesting . . . something that has a solid community of enthusiasts to encourage your spawn toward motoring fun (no appliance cars).

7. First cars shouldn't be irreplaceable . . . they will likely wreck at some point . . . but the kid should probably think that it is.

8. First cars probably should have some way to adjust both the performance and economy (80s turbo cars were great for this), so that the car is more sporting than average without being too challenging to master. (Good drivers need these sorts of cars to learn conservation of momentum and the traction circle). With a V8 (not that many kids get to start with V8s anymore because of the insurance hit), I'd probably rig a throttle stop that I could adjust as the kid grew in experience.

9. First cars shouldn't be too slow . . . You don't want your youngster taking risks merging or obstructing traffic. Nor do you want your kid developing poor throttle modulation skills (e.g. always floored gas or floored brake)

10. If you can swing it, first cars should be manual transmission . . . cuts way down on temptation to loan . . . keeps the driver more involved (less time for texting/phone), develops better habits on car control and seat-of-the-pants feel for vehicles, easier to teach winter driving skills, gives your kid a skill that the vast majority of other youngsters probably will never have. That's worth the price of a clutch or two, IMO.

11. First cars should be unique but cool (nothings worse than driving your parents' old cast-off ... that looks exactly like everyone else's geezermobile . . . unless it's driving something that so freakin' weird that nobody "gets it." Thus a lower-powered, tastefully sporty car with a little style can go a long way to up the cool factor.

Also, the kid needs to get on track asap, to learn how to control speed and the proper place for it.

Comment

pulled the trigger today...barn find. 78 Camaro rally sport 78000 miles , unmolested.. has normal Camaro rust around the rear quarters, windshield is busted, but everything else is there.needs a good cleaning and tune up fuel lines blown out .bla bla bla.storing it at a friends house until her birthday feb 11.. its not the 74-77 I was wanting ,but its complete and never been crashed.cant wait to give it to her and get busy. we have 6 months until she gets her permit... best part is I traded the bus for it.so I killed 2 birds with one stone.and no out of pocket expense..YET!!!!!!

Comment

sounds cool as hell... score an L31/NV3500 combo from a half ton chevy/gmc and teach her to drive stick... look for a core shifter as Hurst doesn't make the internal rail 3500 shifter any more... and the core shifter improves on the original anyway...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                            X