Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did all the Centerline Champ 500 wheels go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did all the Centerline Champ 500 wheels go?

I remember just being blown away when those wheels were introduced and they seemed to pop up on every expensive build back in the day. Now that I'm searching for a complete set for the 79 Z28, they seem as hard to find as hen's teeth. Where they not as popular as I remember. or are all the owners hanging onto those things? These are another bucket list item that is driving me crazy trying to get crossed off.

Nik
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

one of my favorite wheels ever. Like hens teeth now. I think they look great with spinners too...Didnt Cragar make a version called the Outlaw or Outlaw II?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	307916_491471984204799_556641005_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	870322

Try Dale Wilch's Man Cave in Kansas City. Every Wednesday night, they have an open house/swap meet. You can get the details on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4280632&type=3
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

A couple sets sold on ebay in March for about $400 for four wheels, not a bad price....but I guess you need to be patient to find some.

I don't really care for them, I'd rather have the plain Auto Drag wheels

Last edited by squirrel; May 31, 2013, 07:35 AM.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

By chance I spotted a set on phoenix craigslist the other day.
          I never cared much for the Centerline wheels.
          I carry a frontrunner in the trunk of my daily as a spare wheel. They are nice and light though.
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have a full set of them, two 15x7 and two 15x8. Also have a set of knock offs holding up the 72 Formula. The Centerlines are unmounted, and I was kinda thinking of doing a retro build, something circa 1987 or so but without the stupid pink and chartreuse splatter and drip crap.

The question is, how badly do you want them, and what do you have to trade? I can get a pic of them pretty easy, just need to move the LeMans a bit.

The knockoffs.

Last edited by Thumpin455; May 31, 2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Thumper, are the wheels NOS or mint used?
              Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

I worked at a big mail order house back then that sold Centerline wheels by the truckload. Never sold many Champ 500's-very rarely. They were really expensive, really heavy, and kind of limited on sizes too. Mostly made to order with long wait times probably didn't help either.

Comment

If this above deal falls thru, I found some 721 centerlines in the quarterly Jegs catalog. Look alot a like. Or just google the centerline web site and maybe leave a query with them.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Performance Plus .com They are in southern California. They have internet sales.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                      Thumper, are the wheels NOS or mint used?
                      Pretty good shape used. The knock offs could use some bead blasting then polishing, the 'Lines arent too bad, also they are 15x7.5 and 15x9-3.5BS

Comment

Those "knockoffs" as you call them are the old American Racing "Gambler" wheels. I sold a ton of 'em when I worked for Western Auto. If they were models made before ARE started clear coating everything, they are desirable due to the fact you can restore the finish fairly easy. If they are clear coated, they are not nearly as collectible.
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

these are very nice ...like the old pro stock wheel
                          I still want center lines

you may be able to special order them
                          What if I have an incomplete set of wheels?
                          A: To ensure that you buy the proper wheel(s) to complete your set, you need the exact part number. The 9 or 10 digit part number can be found on a white label on the outside of the rim (you will need to dismount the tire). If your local retailer is unable to locate the wheel you need using this part number, feel free to contact Center Line at (800) 345-8671 x5 to check our inventory. We may have parts available to make the wheel you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                            Those "knockoffs" as you call them are the old American Racing "Gambler" wheels. I sold a ton of 'em when I worked for Western Auto. If they were models made before ARE started clear coating everything, they are desirable due to the fact you can restore the finish fairly easy. If they are clear coated, they are not nearly as collectible.
                            the ARE wheels look very heavy
                            Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; May 31, 2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Hey Thumper. what do you want for the set of Centerline Champ 500s? Any trades you are looking for?

Comment

Working...
                              X