Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the L-88 hood scoop out of style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much??

Click image for larger version

Name:	dc72a1fa090b4bf0bb135a9cc3554056.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	866691
    "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
      This RULES!!!!!!!!!!! Love it

Perfect!
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I think the 65 GTO hood is really pretty....says the guy with a 64! Plus I loved the "power bulge" hood on my 73 roadrunner back in the day. I normally have no issues with factory stuff....the add on stuff not so much!
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Too much??

Name:	dc72a1fa090b4bf0bb135a9cc3554056.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	866691

all depends what you're hidin'
          Is that a big block you're hiding; or, are you just happy to be here
          Last edited by silver_bullet; January 28, 2013, 07:34 PM.
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have an old flat steel hood that came off my Camaro that I'm just itching to cut up and install a pro stock scoop on. Yeah, I know it's a dated look. I already have a 4" fiberglass cowl on the hood, and would just like an optional hood to put on it from time to time, and I always like the look. Now that I think about it, it would also solve my hood clearance issue preventing me from installing the nitrous plate system. I can't even remember the last time I saw a pro stock scoop on a street car, so it must REALLY be dated eh?
            Motor City Muscle

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              Let's see
              1) ugly
              2) the front lip captures water
              3) ugly
              4) they don't let air in the back of them - that's an aftermarket idea
              5) ugly
              6) that front edge, even if you cut a hole to reduce the mosquito breeding in it, that puts the 'vent' area in front of the radiator - not a good idea if you prefer your car not to imitate a nuclear meltdown.

other than those reasons, they're ugly, even on a Corvette.
              Horsehockey! "The L88 hoods from '67 to '69 used cowl induction, as did the 302 Z/28 Camaro and some Chevelles. "http://www.corvette-restoration.com/resources/corvette_glossary.htm

Comment

The Vega can pull it off because it looks like a little second gen camaro. And yeah that camaro looks awesome too. I was just thinking awhile back about the L-88 with the almost epic over use of the camaro style cowl induction hood. Yeah, if I had a 3rd gen vette, a second gen camaro or a vega, I think I would do one. If iI could find it in steel. ( unless it was going on a vette of course )
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                  i like the SLP scoop for the 97-03 GPs it was simple

I like that too.
                  I saw a 70 amx on you tube..loved that one too. Factory function was stopped for some other setup, but still nice to look at.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 28, 2013, 09:14 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegaman View Post
                    Too much??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17374[/ATTACH]
                    Too much what?
                    With all the "too much" on that car, it's JUST RIGHT!

Comment

There were definitely uglier hood scoops out there like sticking a pro stock scoop on a wannabe pro street that were popular in the late 80's.

This one was the ugliest.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of AMC's..........
                        I always like the hood treatment on the '68/'69 version
                        No scoop but good looking...my former '69

Name:	projectE.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	866694

Then there was the Hurst SC Rambler with it's mailbox
                        scoop. Sort of funky.
                        My former SC Rambler

Name:	projectA.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	866695
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          There were definitely uglier hood scoops out there like sticking a pro stock scoop on a wannabe pro street that were popular in the late 80's.

This one was the ugliest.
                          Dunno bout the "package". Scoop is definitely a no..
                          Wide on all 4 corners... But not stick out so much..

The owner thought it was the best.. Thus it was...only to him and his buds

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                            Horsehockey! "The L88 hoods from '67 to '69 used cowl induction, as did the 302 Z/28 Camaro and some Chevelles. "http://www.corvette-restoration.com/resources/corvette_glossary.htm

L-88 is a Corvette hood scoop, not Camaro or Chevelle - and that's what you posted as your picture; the Corvette one.

As 67, and the 68-72 Corvettes are different body styles, I presume you're talking Camaros.

Cowl hood scoops, at least what you're referring to, was only on the 69 Camaros.... and just about everyone who owned a 67 or 8 put that hood on their car (I know, I did to both of mine).

and those hoods, the Camaro one, pulled air from above the cowl.... not so with the Corvette, it was in front of the cowl.

here's the bubbled hood for the 67/8 Camaros
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 28, 2013, 09:57 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I like them. If I see an L-88 scoop on a '68 - '72 Corvette or '70 - '73 Camaro it really gets my attention, and if I bought one of those cars it would definitely get one if it wasn't there already. I also like the Hooker side pipes and Ansen slot mags and Lakewood traction bars. I'm a big fan of the '70s street machine look.

Comment

^^ that is 68 camaro SS Hood, the 67's used the same deal but had a "fins" design

i always liked L-88 hoods(scoops) i dont think theyre ugly but to each his own

heres my "Motion" L-88 hood on my Supercharged Camaro.. back in the day

cowls are way over done now, you see them on everything, i dont mind em on a '69 and up car but anything older yeech!

Comment

Working...
                                X