No announcement yet.

Craftsman, Not Made in America........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman, Not Made in America........

It's funny I always thought Craftsman tools were made in the USA...... But then they do utilize more than 130 Chinese manufacturers for the Craftsman line..........

Sears accused of misleading public on Craftsman line
    A lawsuit says the company wrongly claimed its tools were made in America.

Get the latest news and follow the coverage of breaking news events, local news, weird news, national and global politics, and more from the world's top trusted media outlets.
    Last edited by TC; December 7, 2012, 05:50 PM.

In my best lawyer voice:"those tools were made in America". Little voice in background:"just not anymore".

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      ...I always thought Craftsman tools were made in the USA...
      Hmmm. I've been snukered too.
      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

you would think steel experts would know how to defend the reasoning of precision to be melted and forged on the land it is to be used.

I have had my revenge melting a ricer into forged american in the yard.

..I have been doing the same to tools for years.

chinese breaker bars make great subaru engine pitch stops....put the pieces together.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It says where its made right on the packaging.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I would expect the hand tools are still made here.Anything with a motor though , I wouldn't think so.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

It's a joke now, I've been buying kobalts as replacement for ratchets but nothing can match the crap Autocraft set i actually left in the yard that one time looking around with a friend for mustang parts. I have an old stanley set that's still going strong that i use for little things upstairs. Just had to use it tonight to take down the ceiling vent fan in the bathroom.
              "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Been a few years now that Craftsman has been made overseas...i look for American made.. Have bought a Jap made ratchet... Still not as good as Snap on.. Sometimes overseas works just fine for what we need it for.. Like 1 1/2 for door bars and hood hold downs..
                Problem with most overseas stuff is their tolerances are too wide.. Sloppy fit on bolts and nuts, slop in ratchet gears...

Comment

Craftsman quality has been going downhill for a while now. The set I bought back around 1984 is much better than what they sell today- even after several years under water in a crappy toolbox in the back of my truck.
                  Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I did not know that Craftsman tools were not made in the USA.

Makes me happy that Sears just informed me they were taking away me Sears credit card because they said I have not used it within the last three years!!!!!!!!!

I have had a Sears card since 1965 and always paid the bill on time but I guess my shopping habits have changed over the years.

Now that I know their tools are not made in the USA THE HELL WITH THEM

Jimbo

Comment

This isn't the first time we've had this discussion or the first time that Craftsman tools were available from sources other than the USA - these wrenches are from 1979 and sadly much better quality than the USA wrenches I have that were made much made later. Williams made some really good stuff for Sears. There's a really interesting bunch of sites that break down what the markings are on the tools and how that identifies the manufacturer. I'm not sure if it covers this modern Chinese stuff, but for the old vendors it's kinda neat history.

My replacement ratchets for the stillborn USA ratchets are Chinese I believe. Says it right on the wrench... Caveat Emptor? I would honestly prefer NOT to have to replace a wrench, particularly one that has never seen a fastener. I have had several broken at birth ratchets from Sears, made in the USA. I haven't had that issue with their chinese "junk" yet. (yet).

and yeah, I know, the wrench above is sinfully dirty. It's just the handle, I run a red rag through the box end if they get nasty. You can see the marks on the open end where I've put another wrench on the end of this one for leverage. I'm not sure I'd try that with some of their new junk.
                      Last edited by Beagle; December 8, 2012, 06:01 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

When I looked into this before buying some tools for EPA the contract was switching back and forth between (as mentioned) Williams, Danaherr, and Stanley. I didn't find any "made in Japan" references but clearly that should have been on the table as well. It's all about who has the lowest bid that year.

I hate to see Sears in trouble. They are a fine old American company and I love the way they support Extreme Home Makeover. But taking jobs offshore makes it easier for folks to shop elsewhere. I understand that their non-Craftsman stuff might be imported but if I buy Craftsman I'd expect it to come from here. I hope they fix this, and soon.

Dan

Comment

I'd buy Harbor Freight over Stanley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_%26_Decker

They were particularly nasty to their employees when they moved their operations from New Bedford, and they've gotten far worse since then.

Now, background, I'm about as conservative as they come; and I believe that companies have a right to their profit.... but still, Stanley is the biggest bunch of aholes there are.... never buy stanley - let them sell to their new country.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It all started when they started selling craftsman @ K mart ....
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                              It all started when they started selling craftsman @ K mart ....
                              REALLY? they did?
                              Last edited by oldsman71; December 8, 2012, 08:02 PM.
                              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                              X