My cheap flip just got pricey. Bummer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    he goes the yard just off 212 in Clackamas.... and he's every bit as bad as you. I'm pretty sure that none of his car trailers have working brakes.
    Got working brakes on mine.. No controller on my flatbed. Suburban and son's F350 trailer brakes work fine. Just do not use those "nice" rigs to haul scrap..

Comment

If you were closer, I'd sell my three core cheap. I'm going to aluminum anyways. Price aluminum replacement radiators. I found bolt ins for as low as $200. Not universal POS's, but actual replacement radiators. Copper/brass radiators are stupid expensive these days. Probably stolen for it's scrap value.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        If you were closer, I'd sell my three core cheap. I'm going to aluminum anyways. Price aluminum replacement radiators. I found bolt ins for as low as $200. Not universal POS's, but actual replacement radiators. Copper/brass radiators are stupid expensive these days. Probably stolen for it's scrap value.
        If I had my heart into this thing, could for sure deal with it all, but the truth is, it was only a flip anyway and as much as I like Chev in general, there are some skills I just don't have and easier and more profitable cars are always available. What I hate most about this particular car is someone put it back together with either an impact wrench or an air wrench on steroids. Every freeking bolt is a chore. Lots of instances where metric was subsituted for SAE and just rammed on in til it wouldn't go anymore.. If I hadn't got it so cheaply, and really spent some time looking at it, would have passed.
        Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Do you have a pic of it?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Do you have a pic of it?
            It looks a lot better now since I have been cleaning, tweeking, etc. for 6 weeks.
            Needs floor and trunk panels, but still serviceable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	861661Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_1751.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	861662Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_1754.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	861663Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_1757.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	861664Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_1555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	861665Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_1752.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	861666Click image for larger version

Name:	small_IMG_1753.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	861667

Comment

Exclude engine. I didn't pick it up when I got the car.

Comment

It needs paint and has no engine, but a stolen radiator made the cheap flip pricey?

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                  It needs paint and has no engine, but a stolen radiator made the cheap flip pricey?
                  No, I have an engine. I also have almost $1k worth of paint, reducers and such.

A car is only worth so much money. Lets just say it comes in various stages, Stage 5 being parts car. This car upon 6 weeks of work is a Stage 4. In a good weekend, could easily get engine, tranny and wires hooked up and tweek for a few days and I would have a rough Stage 3. They could drive it home.

But to do it right, would have to order a complete weather strip kit, body and core support bushings, motor and trans mounts and ton of other little things. Now a radiator too.
                  Add to all that, the labor and I am no longer making $$ on it. If I was super lucky, might break even, but it looks more like a loss situation and still a Stage 3 car.

If I stop now, sell it for $3k and get lucky, I am still ahead. I don't think it will sell for that, but someone who loves that year might think its a steal.

For me, at this time, its just smarter to keep my engine and tranny, keep my Paint and not worry about weatherstrip and such and just sell it at under $2500 as a roller with title. I have other projects that could easily get higher up the food chain without just throwing $$ at them. This car was never intended to be a D.D. by me.

Comment

Unless the body is falling off the frame, don't bother with body bushings. A running driving car, is always easier to sell than a roller; at least around here.

The dash trim is from an SS. Is that what it is?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Unless the body is falling off the frame, don't bother with body bushings. A running driving car, is always easier to sell than a roller; at least around here.

The dash trim is from an SS. Is that what it is?
                      Actually, I never noticed. VIn doesn't say SS, or trim in boxes. It seems to have a factory panard, ( or a very good welder had it at one time.

Not sure yet that a roller is good or bad here. California is a whole different planet due to registration requirements, Non Op Certs and such. I am guessing my biggest market for that car will be Vancouver B.C., much larger population and a lot of $$ floating around up there.
                      My problem isn't so much the money, but time and money to get it out of it. Is it worth it? I am thinking its a lost cause if I really work the numbers. If I was just going to drive it, wouldn't even be thinking along these lines. Just do it and thats it!

Comment

All the 65-70 Impalas had a pan hard bar. The trailing arms were parallel and the pan hard was necessary to locate the rear diff. Cars with heavy duty suspension option got the fourth trailing arm, upper left one.

The SS cars had a different VIN number. The first five numbers tell the difference. On 65-71's the SS coupe started with 16637. The 2 door coupe's were 16437.

flipping cars in this economic climate is really tough.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
                          No, I have an engine. I also have almost $1k worth of paint, reducers and such.

A car is only worth so much money.

Ok. I gotcha.

I understand where you're coming from now. There are plenty of things I wanted to do to my 84 C10 I picked up last year.
                          I figured it was a good buy for a grand, since it ran, has a v8, has no rust, the AC works, and it came with a good bit of new stuff... but not knowing if I was going to keep it or flip it, I was extremely careful about money I spent on it; these trucks aren't pulling big numbers unless they are show quality short- beds (and this is neither show quality, nor a short bed).

Now that I've decided to keep it, I'm going to go ahead and spend some money on it (Maaco, here I come!), mainly so it looks more presentable. I may or may not get that money back out of it, if and when I decide to sell it, but that's okay.

Comment

The body looks decent .That could become a nice car.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat the radiator, they're still out there new & used.

Rock Auto has them(pricey)
                              RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rad1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	861674

This guy on ebay has one too, you could prolly get it for $80-$90 shipped.

The car looks decent & I think it would be worth more as a runner then a roller.
                              Then Hot Rod could do a story about how they traveled to patrickth's house to rescue an Impala.

Comment

Yeah, a used one would probably be fine for this project... I bought the radiator in the Chevelle from a junk yard about 17 years ago for $30. It was like new (the guy at the junk yard didn't realize this), and has served me well until now - it's developed a leak.

Comment

Working...
                                X