No Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Problem

I'm going into an old-aged rant. Not a big one, but I've already questioned a few terms the past few days....

From all of the brain training I've had, I know how to read people's body language, I know how to pose my body the same way they have theirs (mirroring), and I have some idea which words to use in a conversation that will "connect" with whoever I'm talking with. That is, if I pay attention to all of those things, which is hard for any of us to do at any time.

But the one thing I have a problem with is the phrase, "No problem." It's a young people thing. It has completely replaced the words, "You're welcome."

I mean I say , "Thank you." And I mean that or I wouldn't have said it at all. Followed in response by, "No problem."

Okay no problem. I didn't want it to be a problem or I wouldn't have said, "Thank you" to begin with. If it ever WAS a problem, I wouldn't have said Thank You to begin with. How did Thank You ever come about to be "No Problem?"
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Bugs me too its like they have done you a big favor and are saying its not a problem. Sounds kind of condescending to me but can you think what the reaction would be if you tried to correct them?

Comment

absolutely no problem.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
        Bugs me too its like they have done you a big favor and are saying its not a problem. Sounds kind of condescending to me but can you think what the reaction would be if you tried to correct them?
        No, I never have even thought it out that far....no, good thing I haven't.
        Last edited by pdub; January 1, 2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

When I was in the south, I never did hear "you're welcome", especially from restaurant wait staff ... it was always "uh-huh". LOL

cheers
          Ed N.
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Headline News - I was in Staples the other day, a young feller greeted me - "Hi! May I help you find anything?" I said, yes, rubber bands. "Aisle 4." Ok, thank you.

There they were, right where he said. I was on my way to checkout and ran into the guy again - "Did you find everything you need?" Sure did, thank you.

He said with a smile......get THIS - "My pleasure."

GYAH. Still only two words, not any more painful or expensive, but wow whatta galactic difference. I wonder if they actually taught that basic life-skill in school, would the kids ever embrace it?

Comment

It ranks right up there with "Have a nice day" or "No problem" (like doing your damn job WOULD be a "problem"). Somehow kids have the idea that this is what courtesy looks like. What your young guy was trying to say (translation) "Glad to help". Evidently no one is teaching this stuff.

Dan

Comment

There are those that will take you by surprise.. I have gotten reports that Sean has demonstrated some very old school habits... Mom's and my efforts were not wasted!
                I'm sure there are other parents out there, but, it just seems that there are too many thinking that take this "whole village to raise a child" as meaning that they don't have to be a parent...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

"Ok, Sure"
                  "Whatever"

Comment

"My bad."
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

no worries, mate
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        The one thing I have a problem with is the phrase, "No problem." It's a young people thing. It has completely replaced the words, "You're welcome."
                        Geez you are getting cantankerous in your old age .. when someone replies with "no problem" to your "thank you", it is just short for; "it was not any problem for me to help you".

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Geez you are getting cantankerous in your old age .. when someone replies with "no problem" to your "thank you", it is just short for; "it was not any problem for me to help you".
                          You maybe missed when they switched - now when someone says "no problem" that means that it's too terrible to comprehend but they'll make a shot at making it worse. When they say "problem" it means they'll charge you even more to fix what they made worse. It's all part of the communists plan to take over America through imposition of the metric system. The final step in all of this is that you must apologize to the person saying this for making their day worse. Yes, I know, they screwed up something, but it really is all your fault.... just apologize and walk away.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            I'm going into an old-aged rant. Not a big one, but I've already questioned a few terms the past few days....

From all of the brain training I've had, I know how to read people's body language, I know how to pose my body the same way they have theirs (mirroring), and I have some idea which words to use in a conversation that will "connect" with whoever I'm talking with. That is, if I pay attention to all of those things, which is hard for any of us to do at any time.

But the one thing I have a problem with is the phrase, "No problem." It's a young people thing. It has completely replaced the words, "You're welcome."

I mean I say , "Thank you." And I mean that or I wouldn't have said it at all. Followed in response by, "No problem."

Okay no problem. I didn't want it to be a problem or I wouldn't have said, "Thank you" to begin with. If it ever WAS a problem, I wouldn't have said Thank You to begin with. How did Thank You ever come about to be "No Problem?"

So - just imagine for a moment what they really mean when they DO actually say "Your Welcome".

Think along the lines of "Bless your Heart" in Southern-ese".

I am just thankful when I get more than silence, or a grunt of some sort. To hear actual words in a language I understand - it nearly brings a tear to my eyes.

You guys all need to watch the movie "Idiocracy" to fully understand where our society is, and just exactly where it is going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p159395_p_v8_ai.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1180596
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Geez you are getting cantankerous in your old age ..
                              Yep, and I wouldn't argue that for a skinny minute. And just imagine, I was 5 years younger when this thread was born.

Comment

Working...
                              X