The Silver Buick wants a garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Silver Buick wants a garage.

Actually, I meant a dirt hauler contractor- not a surveying contractor. The guy that will bring in the dirt, level it and compact it. These guys can probably look at your land and give you a turn key price on a flat surface for your shop. The estimates don't cost anything... and saves you a lot of work.

I learned from building my shop- doing it yourself doesn't always save you money.

Comment

Originally posted by RR
      Actually, I meant a dirt hauler contractor- not a surveying contractor. The guy that will bring in the dirt, level it and compact it. These guys can probably look at your land and give you a turn key price on a flat surface for your shop. The estimates don't cost anything... and saves you a lot of work.

I learned from building my shop- doing it yourself doesn't always save you money.
      x2. and inspectors will sign off on their work

Comment

Ok, still have to do a little clean up of the surface shape, but I've got some baseline stuff done. The blue is the surface (some smoothing still needs to be done), the black contour lines are 1' each, the Orange Blocks represent the perimeter orange flagged lath. I roughly outlined the dirt roads in yellow.

Here is a view looking East towards the house.

The green cross hair points represent the base of the lath, the black ones are just points taken right on the ground.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

impressive work.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Oh, I guess I should mention the next step, after the smoothing, will be to make a base level below the lowest elevation to make a solid out of it. Then using flat plains at various elevations determine where the cuts equal the fill. From there I have to play with a ramp designs/cuts to see if I need to bring fill in or not.

Comment

we estimated that I bought about 1/10 of the dirt I ended up needing and captured 9/10ths of it out of the current hill side.... it leaves me a steep slope off my back yard.... but gives me a nice level pad out past my shop for a drive way entrance... moving dirt around beats Buying it Any day...

K

Comment

A shame I can't upload photos from work, I did the smoothing, and I think it looks good ;D

Comment

buy some recycled dirt from the leaky gas station ..they burn the dirst , then nothing grows on it

Comment

Don't forget the jacuzzi, disco, brass pole, and taproom for your other interests Randal.
                    Maybe up on the roof - and a bathroom in the shop too so you don't track grease in the house. Doh !
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      buy some recycled dirt from the leaky gas station ..they burn the dirst , then nothing grows on it
                      Depending on what they find in it after anaysis, they sell it to asphalt plants too. Just had a "situation" with a truck tearing into a guardrail at 80+ mph. Ripped the fuel tank off and we had to pay for the remediation of the area. "Our dirt" ended up at the asphalt plant.

If there is really bad stuff in it, the soil goes to the furnace.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

well car craft has the anti tour
                        hot rod the power tour
                        bangshift barnraise'n tour? :D :D :D

Comment

there is a dead ford dealer up the street in bullville
                          so far they have a 20 ft deep 5 acre hole in the ground getting rid of the contaminated soil

Comment

I'm going to bring the work laptop home for the weekend to run the cut/fills and ramp design, it'll probably take me a couple hours, though I was showing these to one of our engineers and he said he could whip it out in ten minutes :P Which I don't doubt, that's a big part of his job.

I took the surface and turned it into a solid/volume. The fence line extends to the bottom of the solid, so I'll cut it down to just my lot and do the cut/fills on just that. Looking at these pictures I'm getting more optimistic that I have the dirt available to fill the "hole" on the bottom left. Plus I'll have some "extra" dirt available where I start my ramp in my flat upper yard.

Again. The contours are 1ft, the orange is the property line, and yellow the dirt roads.

Comment

once you get this figured out - building the building will be a piece of cake!

Cool software!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

i still think bat cave will be the easiest way to go :D

Comment

Working...
                                X