X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barn find

more like an immaculate warehouse

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I saw that, it's insane! Come on man just sell me a bell housing.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

it's why I kind of chuckle each time Barrett or whoever talks about collector cars.... there is so much stuff still out there
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I dunno, but I could just swear the only way to get a big block Malibu was an SS and all Heavy Chevys were small blocks. Everybody called it trim only, not a Road Runner substitute. And what about the Rally Nova?
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'll be that guy is another one of those "I'll get to it someday" types. Totally cool no matter what, but I suspect that any of those cars are only becoming available at the estate sale. Which is fine, lots of "get around to its" have dropped dead so their estate sale is on-going now.

and for the record, I have lots of those cars too.... once I'm dead, I don't care what happens to them.

Comment

Back in the day Chevys were exciting. Ford and MoPar were spending a lot of money on racing and advertising. GM had banned racing support and Chevy's advertising was conservative. The cars, the L78 396 necessitated by the 400 inch limit on less than full size cars, were the underdogs with the numbers on their side.

Once Chevy became the overdog and EVERYONE became a Chevy fan they got...... boring. So for guys like THAT guy it became just a money thing. Counting his parts and cars. Wonder how big his pile of 12 bolts is? I didn't see one.....

The other factor is all the magazines ever talked about was the L78 and then the 454s when they came along. A 427 was just a Corvette engine. Every magazine devouring teen (like me) just assumed every 396 was an L78. "Bet you blow the doors off a lot of Mustangs and Roadrunners with that thing, huh? 375 HORSE!". Funny now how few were actually built and sold.

Drag Strip visits were frustrating. NOTHING ran as quick as the magazines said it would. And the invincible appearing SS396s took it particularly hard. Nobody rowed the gears in a musclecar as hard as a racer could and tricking out an automatic was an emerging science.

So.... the golden era was not quite so golden and collecting it..... just dollars.

Comment

I've had 2 396 cars, even at 12:1 and either head (rectangle or oval) were dogs. Sure they made torque, but (after all the hype) were pretty boring. Amazing what 31 cubic inches can do (427s).....

Yeah, magazine hype, their job is to sell parts and support the industry - last I checked, they even lose to TV personalities in any race. Heck, that's been true since Ivo.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 17, 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

As that video percolates with me the idea that the guy is so excited these are SEVENTY Novas, not '68 or '69. Well of course Chevy II sales were off in '70. The Malibu got the facelift and the 454. It's like getting excited over a '70 Gen 1 Camaro. I'm REALLY getting too old for this....

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  I dunno, but I could just swear the only way to get a big block Malibu was an SS and all Heavy Chevys were small blocks. Everybody called it trim only, not a Road Runner substitute. And what about the Rally Nova?
                  O.K., I remember now. A Heavy Chevy COULD have been ordered with a 402. By then that motor had the rep of being fat and lazy with the L78 being gone and the 454 being around. I seem to remember a magazine guy calling the result a VERY Heavy Chevy. Potentially slower than a 350.
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; August 17, 2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    I once came across a '71 Heavy Chevy Chevelle, silver w/ black stripes, in a junkyard with a stock 402 (confirmed by the emissions sticker) with buckets, a floor-mount manual trans shifter and no console. 'Was said that all options available in a normal Chevelle were available on the H.C., which at the time apparently included the 402 big-block more-commonly available in Caprices then. Very unusual, but real.

For awhile I had a '68 SS-396 Camaro w/ the 350hp version (not 325), oval-port heads still, with only headers and a lumpy cam the thing was a torque monster. Punch it while moving even w/ the TH400 in second and the ol' G-60 street tires didn't have a chance.

Comment

I had a 70 SS396... slightly modified...torque monster from hell.....had L60 15s on her....a regular smoke generator at will!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        I had a 70 SS396... slightly modified...torque monster from hell.....had L60 15s on her....a regular smoke generator at will!
                        it was a bus motor, so what do you expect?

Comment

Anyway, the white one is a beat down rust bucket. The blue one a badly done resto, Day 2 my butt. This guy calling himself "of HRM". is the one who also speaks of '69 Zs as "rare". One of the Z's biggest sales years. Hordes like that nearly built THEMSELVES back in the 80s when cars like that traded for $1K or less. Market rate was $5K-$10K restored so project cars were cores more than anything of value. NOS fan? $10.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

it was a bus motor, so what do you expect?
                            Thinking about THAT. It was big. When I was a teen I told a "grown up" I was disappointed he bought a 383 Roadrunner. As I read in Hi Per Cars nobody RACED 383s. In hindsight nobody got a 383 Magnum in a schoolbus either. 440 heads, bigger cam, better stock manifolds. And the 8 3/4 rear end. Live and learn....

Comment

Another interesting aside.... C&D claimed you could get a Chevelle 300 Deluxe based SS396, bench seat and all. Didn't happen for this article. Didn't happen in real life either I suspect....

Comment

Working...
                              X