I Officially Surrender My Man-Mechanic Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Hey Charlie Brown, It's the Great Pumpkin! Glad to hear from Ya!
    Yep, I sure do wish he'd come see us more often. He's probably avoiding me since he cost me about $100K but I haven't added it all up.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Hey Matt, good to see you.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Mike, at the car shop where Red is currently impounded, he called me this morning and left me a message before I'd even woke up. We played phone tag for a while but finally, he's not much one to talk very long on the phone. He asked, what about this PosiTraction box full of parts you left us?

All I could say was, I don't know. I bought all of the parts that were on the computer screen when I was ordering the rear end rebuild job. I don't even know if I need that or not, I'll leave that up to you. He said, "Does your positive traction work okay already?" I said yes. And then he said, what about all of this brake fluid you had in the box full of parts? What is that....?"

I said, "Y'all go to adjust the parking brake, I guessed y'all will have to take the rear calipers off of the car and may lose some fluid. That's the kind of fluid I run, I threw it in there just in case."

I said, "Mike, that parking brake is gonna be aggravating, I've tried to fix it five times and I can't do it, it's aggravating."

He said "Thanks." That all the info he needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
          Tell everybody howdy for me.
          Whatta blast! Last I heard anythingof you was you were running from a storm..

Comment

Pdubby.. Rears are easy..
            I'm modifying a 9 inch to run caddy axles.. With caddy side gears..
            31 spline caddy does not fit into Ford carrier..
            Then I needed to cut off 1-1/2" on one side and 3" on the other and the bearing retainers are in the way so cut off 6" and add 4. Sorta deal..
            And change the gears from 3:08 to 4:86.
            If I can do it so can you!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              If I can do it so can you!
              DB, everybody has their own color of paint to smear. I usta be able to say, "Playing guitar is easy." Because it was to me, before my hands quit working at least. So, everybody has something or another. And I DO know the rear end of the car as opposed to the front end of the car, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. Just sayin. Please be proud of what you can do. You, and everybody.

Comment

We hadn't heard a peep from the guys at the garage so I just now called them. I guess that's what you do, I thought maybe they would call US when the work was done. But anyhow, Red's Reddy. We'll go get him tomorrow.

And picture this: They could NOT fix the parking brake. There's something just "wrong" about it. They couldn't fix it, nobody can. The arm is too long, the position of the cable stays, it's just wrong. That's a lose/win. Now I don't feel like quite such an idiot after all. It wasn't Mike I was talking with, it was another guy. He said, "Don't even use it. It'll tighten up but then it won't release." I was sitting here on the phone thinking....well YEAH, and kinda doing mental high-fives at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                  I thought maybe they would call US when the work was done.
                  Me too ... isn't that what happens anymore ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Me too ... isn't that what happens anymore ?
                    I dunno, maybe not in the way of the modern world. I'll be the last one to in any way talk down about the guys at the shop. Those are super nice guys. But I'm glad I called them, they are open Mon-Fri and I was just wondering, are we going to get the car back tomorrow or NOT?

All's good. New gear. We'll see.

Comment

So the aftermarket parking brake setup won't work. Typical ploy.... "Damn hot rod stuff".
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

If you ever have anyone else work on this issue, show them this!

VERY INFORMATIVE!
                        Last edited by silver_bullet; August 16, 2018, 06:55 PM.
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Have a safe trip to pick up Red today! I hope that you enjoy the steeper gear and that 5th is more usable now!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

WOW, that new gear is a TREMENDOUS win. The driveability through the gearbox is 10 times better. That's the gear the car should have had in it to start with. I'll have to learn how to pedal and row at the same time because now he'd RATHER spin the wheels.

I've done the calculations from actual (RPM vs GPS speed) and it looks like when I put Red in 5th gear at 137 MPH he'll then be turning 4566 RPMs. That's REAL close to where we want to be, and I should have a little more than the whole last quarter mile to work with at the track. Theoretically, on paper, that will get us over 150. If nothing else it should at least make that last quarter mile be a lot more fun, pulling instead of bogging.

Comment

I am extremely happy that my advice got you closer to where you wanted to be, performance wise....be cautious on wet or questionable surfaces so you don't spin....
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                                I am extremely happy that my advice got you closer to where you wanted to be, performance wise....be cautious on wet or questionable surfaces so you don't spin....
                                That's just amazing Man, and thank you huge as always. It's astounding what a 5% gear change in the rear made to the driveability. I can troll through town in 4th gear. I can plod along at 50 in 5th gear. That's just too cool. It's a whole new car, the RIGHT new car.

Comment

Working...
                                X