Where do you put the lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you put the lift

In a smallish shop (35 x 32) - where do you put the lift?

In a back corner where long term projects can live unmolested?
    Near the door so everyday stuff can easily get on and off it?

What say you?

by the door with the exhaust aimed at the door. My shop is that size and the only thing I did wrong was put it the opposite way - it's also in the center of the shop because you can never have enough room on the sides.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      by the door with the exhaust aimed at the door. My shop is that size and the only thing I did wrong was put it the opposite way - it's also in the center of the shop because you can never have enough room on the sides.
      I agree, I put mine on my end door initially to see if I would like it there but SBG is right I always need more room on the wall side so I'll be moving mine to the middle door, and yes exhaust out the door. Mine is a drive on and LOVE IT!!
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Mine should have 4' of side wall clearance. Ramps toward the door, but far enough in that the door can be raised when a vehicle is on the lift. High-lift door tracks help with that issue.
        Another consideration is having enough room in front of the lift to allow a cherry picker for engine removal........
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; August 5, 2018, 05:05 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Eventually, when we get the concrete in the garage addition, we will be installing a MaxJax mid lift and then l intend to dig out the pit that the floor was cut for in the original garage floor.... Kinda tight, but only allowed 1000 sq ft and not more than 12 feet high....original garage has 8 ft sidewalls....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My lifts are all the way forward so I don't have to drive through them to get to a flat bay.
            Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Mt drive on is in the middle of the shop with room for another car between it & the door. I only have to move that car to access the lift. Unfortunately my '70 Nova SS project has been tying it up for the last year or so. And that is a PITA when it comes to changing oil in our every day drivers. See: modern cars that really belong on one of the 4-arm lifts. Not really any good place to put a floor jack under them.
              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

You need 2, one for projects the other for D.D. work.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                  You need 2, one for projects the other for D.D. work.
                  Lars - I said a smallish shop! I think if I had the room and budget I would rather have the mill and lathe than a second lift.

Comment

I wish I could pur a shop like Lars has in my yard, but alas, the city planners office says no bueno....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      I wish I could pur a shop like Lars has in my yard, but alas, the city planners office says no bueno....
                      Why I like living out from town nobody tells you what you can do, when I was building my shop people thought I was building another house. LOL
                      Got to have priority's
                      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

and you are allowed to have your wringer washer on the front porch too Perry -
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                        X